Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Settling in with my GT now and am looking to fit my dash cam and hard wire it in to the fuse box using a power magic box. Has anyone done this yet? I plan to use piggy back fuse holders but looking inside the fuse box access is cr*p. My fuse box is covered by wiring looms where I can barely get a hand past them. Is this standard? Im used to VAG fuse boxes at the end of the dash with loads of access. On the 308 i can barely see all the fuses. If i were to unplug the looms and refit after the install would this cause errors on the canbus?

Richie

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi Guys,

Settling in with my GT now and am looking to fit my dash cam and hard wire it in to the fuse box using a power magic box. Has anyone done this yet? I plan to use piggy back fuse holders but looking inside the fuse box access is cr*p. My fuse box is covered by wiring looms where I can barely get a hand past them. Is this standard? Im used to VAG fuse boxes at the end of the dash with loads of access. On the 308 i can barely see all the fuses. If i were to unplug the looms and refit after the install would this cause errors on the canbus?

Richie
Hi Mate,

I will be doing this on my 308 2014 Hatch in the next few weeks. One thing to check is that most of these dashcams run at USB (5V DC) so wiring them straight into the car may kill them, if not instantly, it may mess with them long term. You can get a 'step-down' connector to help with this like this one:

eBay step down voltage

One of the guys at work has a Vauxhall Ampera (Milk Float) and has fitted his dashcam to the constant live to his dome light. You generally find that there is one constant live up there (normally comes live when car is unlocked, or engine is started), and then other wires that turn things on and off.

I am hoping to do the same, push the step down into the roof lining and power the dashcam straight off the dome light power.

I will likely post a guide when its done.

Worth looking into though :thumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My previous two cars I've run the cabling across the head lining by the windscreen, down the A pillar and then across the bottom of the dash. Plugging directly into the accessory socket, plugging it in each time I use it. Not wanting to do that this time, hence the hard wiring. I've got this device which utilises the parking mode without draining the battery too far or blowing the camera.

http://www.mi-witness.co.uk/Help_Guides/Smart_Power_User_install.pdf

Didn't install it in my last car but I want to in the 308 for a neater install. It just look likes the fuses box and access to it are shocking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

My dashcam got its power from a mini-USB 5v, so my mechanic just ran that cable from the courtesy light next to the rearview mirror. It was on a 206 but you might have the right voltage available in a similar way. My camera was turned on whenever I turned the key, no matter if the light was on/off/on-when door-opens.

nplima

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just an update, I have just purchased a DashCam. Got the drivepro 200 of an amazon lightning deal for £59.99.

I like the look of this one, as it has a wireless network that you can connect your phone to, to change options and to view/transfer video files from.

Will be looking to install next week, will try and post pictures of how i connect it up in the end. :thumb:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi like the others suggested tuck along the headlining and tuck into the a pillar. On my 308 open the passenger door and prize the plastic cover off the side of the dashboard(the side that abuts the door when shut) this leaves amble room to connected stepdown inverter 12 to 5 v and a piggy 3amp fuse to the fuse that controls the interior light --forget which one now..there will be a time delay of a few seconds to switch off the camera because of the interior light time delayed off

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hi like the others suggested tuck along the headlining and tuck into the a pillar. On my 308 open the passenger door and prize the plastic cover off the side of the dashboard(the side that abuts the door when shut) this leaves amble room to connected stepdown inverter 12 to 5 v and a piggy 3amp fuse to the fuse that controls the interior light --forget which one now..there will be a time delay of a few seconds to switch off the camera because of the interior light time delayed off
Im going to have a play this week, and either connect it up like you have mentioned, or if I can find a useful live up in the dome light area.

Just out of interest, where did you earth the dashcam if you take a live feed using a fuse tap in that area?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im going to have a play this week, and either connect it up like you have mentioned, or if I can find a useful live up in the dome light area.

Just out of interest, where did you earth the dashcam if you take a live feed using a fuse tap in that area?
hi paul
will be interested in how this goes as a cam is on my xmas list,,so any info re install would be very useful

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
hi paul
will be interested in how this goes as a cam is on my xmas list,,so any info re install would be very useful
Will do! I'll be the Guinea Pig! If I have not been driven mad by this by the time I am finished, I will show you how its done! I am currently stuck at removing the trim off the A-Pillar!

I am 100% using a fuse tap now, and not messing around with the dome light again :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Out of curiosity, what dashcams are you guys/gals considering?

I used to have a very dodgy one from eBay, that probably cost less then £20 and didn't do a great job... the power button stopped working (it powered from the car ignition), the image quality was poor, the remote control was temperamental, etc.

I'm tempted by the Garmin nuvicam, the one that's embedded into the satnav device. This way it's only one cable and in once device that I can use in more than 1 car if needed. It's £254.90, which is not that far off the price from a branded dashcam + a garmin/tomtom satnav.

then there's the GoPro action cameras alternative, which can be used outside as well as in the car. all well north of £100...

@NP_Lima

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Out of curiosity, what dashcams are you guys/gals considering?

I used to have a very dodgy one from eBay, that probably cost less then £20 and didn't do a great job... the power button stopped working (it powered from the car ignition), the image quality was poor, the remote control was temperamental, etc.

I'm tempted by the Garmin nuvicam, the one that's embedded into the satnav device. This way it's only one cable and in once device that I can use in more than 1 car if needed. It's £254.90, which is not that far off the price from a branded dashcam + a garmin/tomtom satnav.

then there's the GoPro action cameras alternative, which can be used outside as well as in the car. all well north of £100...

@NP_Lima
I have just bought the Transcend Drive Pro 200. Records full 1080p at 30fps, good quality night video, comes with a free 16GB card, has all the standard features like G-Sensor, Capacitor for remembering time and date etc...

The one thing that this camera has that steered me towards it was you can press a button and it will give out a Wireless Network. This allows you to connect with an iOS / Android App and change settings for ease of use, but also allows you to quickly transfer video files between the camera and your mobile device! I figured I wanted to put the dashcam in, and leave it, not mess around removing it or even the memory card whenever I want to upload someone driving like a knob to Youtube :D

Probably a feature most people will not need, but I got it as an Amazon lightning deal for £59, its normally around £90.

Ill try and link some sample footage after I get it installed this weekend!

Just got you a link for the camera, and its still on offer for £70! Not bad when you consider a decent memory card costs between £10-£15

DrivePro 200

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Right then, dash cam is in and working and i'm very happy with it. Going to start the guide now and see how I get on.

Apart from blowing a well hidden fuse when messing around with the dome light, the install went well, and was very quick and easy this morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts