Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a dash cam today from Halfords and booked them to do fitting. There guy checked my brand new 2017 3008 fuse box area and unfortunately there isn't enough room to hard wire anything. Anyone else had same problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bought a dash cam today from Halfords and booked them to do fitting. There guy checked my brand new 2017 3008 fuse box area and unfortunately there isn't enough room to hard wire anything. Anyone else had same problem?
I'd suggest taking it to a Halfords where the auto electrician knows what he is doing.

Got mine done at Halfords at Cortonwood near Barnsley. Front and back. Front one took 40 minutes. Back one took 50 minutes.

Asked him what it was plugged into and he said there is a spare "ignition on" fuse so he used that.

No problems whatsoever. Proper neat jobs, both of them.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Had mine done at a local Auto-electricians who did a fine job and had no problems. They said it was a bit tight in the fuse box but nothing they couldn't handle.

Reactions: sues1958

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd suggest taking it to a Halfords where the auto electrician knows what he is doing.

Got mine done at Halfords at Cortonwood near Barnsley. Front and back. Front one took 40 minutes. Back one took 50 minutes.

Asked him what it was plugged into and he said there is a spare "ignition on" fuse so he used that.

No problems whatsoever. Proper neat jobs, both of them.
Oh ok thanks. The guy told me it was a problem with all new cars that there's no room so you have to go back to manufacturer to get it done!. Will give another Halfords a ring.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh ok thanks. The guy told me it was a problem with all new cars that there's no room so you have to go back to manufacturer to get it done!. Will give another Halfords a ring.

It sounds like the guy you dealt with needs to find another job because he appears to be stealing a living as an auto electrician.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took a trip to Halfords Norwich store on Friday afternoon to specifically ask if they could hardwired a dash cam into my 3008 Allure, as there website states that not all cars are suitable to have one fitted. I was assured by the manager, no less, that “of course it’s suitable - there hasn’t been a car that we have not been able install one in.” So I made my purchase and arranged for installation this morning.
I’m sure that you won’t be surprised that the fitter started to work on it and 20 minutes later told me it wasn’t possible as there was no unused fuse slot. On course I asked for a refund.
Well, that was a waste of a couple of hours

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a trip to Halfords Norwich store on Friday afternoon to specifically ask if they could hardwired a dash cam into my 3008 Allure, as there website states that not all cars are suitable to have one fitted. I was assured by the manager, no less, that “of course it’s suitable - there hasn’t been a car that we have not been able install one in.” So I made my purchase and arranged for installation this morning.
I’m sure that you won’t be surprised that the fitter started to work on it and 20 minutes later told me it wasn’t possible as there was no unused fuse slot. On course I asked for a refund.
Well, that was a waste of a couple of hours
Thanks Colinsnap, shame it took them 2 hours to find out. At least my guy only took 10 mins! And I hadn't paid. I've fitted mine myself now and plugged into lighter socket in middle console. Haven't done a bad job haha

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've fitted my dashcam to my last 4 cars. Piggy back fuse holder and a female 12v socket. Takes 5 minutes to wire.

And then 3 hours to route the cable neatly!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Does the guy mean there's no room to get at the fuse board or there is not enough room on the fuse board? If the latter, he obviously does not know what he is talking about as there are spare ways on the board. Hard wiring is neater than plugging into the lighter socket!

By the way, unless Beards has edited his post, that link definitely goes to the dash cam fitting thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the guy mean there's no room to get at the fuse board or there is not enough room on the fuse board? If the latter, he obviously does not know what he is talking about as there are spare ways on the board. Hard wiring is neater than plugging into the lighter socket!

By the way, unless Beards has edited his post, that link definitely goes to the dash cam fitting thread.
Hi there, the guy at Halfords told me that he had to have about a 2" square (didnt say it, showed me with his hands) clearance for the hard wire kit to fit in else he wasn't allowed to fit it. He tested the fuse board with a meter.
Yes I've clicked on the edited link and found page thanks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hi there, the guy at Halfords told me that he had to have about a 2" square (didnt say it, showed me with his hands) clearance for the hard wire kit to fit in else he wasn't allowed to fit it. He tested the fuse board with a meter.
Yes I've clicked on the edited link and found page thanks.

Still not sure what he’s talking about sues because I fitted mine no problem. If you are using the lighter socket, your dash cam can’t need an un-switched connection so the job would have been even easier. Was he looking at the fuse box in the engine compartment or glove box?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still not sure what he’s talking about sues because I fitted mine no problem. If you are using the lighter socket, your dash cam can’t need an un-switched connection so the job would have been even easier. Was he looking at the fuse box in the engine compartment or glove box?
The glove box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts