Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening gents.

Just washed and degreased the 407 today, very nice after months without washing it! :thumb:

Anyway my Xenons are performing very crappy, and not long ago I ordered some new Phillips Xenon bulbs that arrived today.

I've heard rumors that it might be dangerous to change this type of bulb, so I wonder what to look out for, and also a little guidance if any of you know how to do it! :)

The car has factory fitted Xenons btw.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Nicked this from cars direct.....

Changing a Xenon Bulb
Always handle bulbs with care. Never touch the glass part of the bulb with your bare hands, because oil from fingerprints might cause the glass to explode when heated or might cause unsightly condensation in your headlights. Clean the glass surface of the bulb with alcohol in the event of an oil stain.

Only remove the protective casing of the bulb when it is ready to be installed. The protective casing is there for a purpose, as severe vibration or shock might be harmful or destructive to the performance of the xenon bulb. It also prevents contamination of the glass that may also be detrimental to performance.

Changing a xenon bulb is a simple procedure but when in doubt, consult with a knowledgeable friend or expert mechanic for advice on proper installation. Do not forget to aim the beam after changing the xenon bulb, because mild differences may have occurred in the process of installation. A few degrees may mean the difference between proper distribution of light and blinding other drivers on the road. As an exercise of courtesy among other road users, have your headlights angled and adjusted to proper specifications as indicated in the preventive maintenance schedule of your vehicle.

Buying and Changing Xenon Headlights (Xenon Bulbs) - CarsDirect

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was wondering more if it's a risk to get a electric shock when removing it?

I have disconnected the battery now, but surely there are probably still power in the capacitors for a while?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I would expect the bulbs to drain any charge in the capacitors. My experience of HID's is that they don't turn off immediately when the switch is turned off, there is a short delay between the switch going off and the lights going out, sometimes with a kind of dimming effect. I would think this is the charge in the caps being drained.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Changed one now... connected up and took a pic. Not much to see, but seem like the new bulbs gives a bit stronger light.

Taking off battery soon again now, and changing last one in a while :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There, both done and lights has improved quite a bit!

Here is a pic with only the right side changed. You can see how much larger the diameter of the actual light is on that one, compared to the old bulb.

Both bulbs changed:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was very easy to change. Just twist the ignitors about 30 degrees towards the "Open" direction and take them out.

Then twist the black round part and take out that, then out with the bulb.

What you mean by the bulbs beeing "dear" ?

·
5,027 Posts
Dear = Expensive

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I see they're available at different whitepoints from about 4,500k to 10,000k with 6,000k being the most common.
What are yours? It looks like maybe the new ones are bluer than the old ones, is this so?

·
Registered
464 Posts
One thing to remember about the k ratings - the higher they are, the bluer (to the point of purple) they get, and the WORSE they get at actually lighting up the road, especially in fog - lower k ratings provide more illumination and hugely better fog breaking.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True, the standard K rating on the 407 is 4300K I think.

However as I would prefer the looks of a little bluer light I bought 6000K ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts