Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, posted earlier but no real replies. My newly acquired 2002 peugeot 307 (auto, 1.6 litre) seems to hesitate on take off (noticed more on inclines), and slightly vibrates and makes the engine sound that I can only liken to a car taking off in 2nd gear. However the car is definately taking off in 1st gear, as I have put it in 'snow' mode (which 'does' take off in 2nd gear) a couple of times to compare. The car runs fine once it builds up a little speed, just this sluggish take off problem. The things I have done so far are, check the level and condition of the automatic transmission fluid, checked the air filter, put in a highy quality 'total' fuel system cleaner, cleaned the throttle body with carby cleaner (with engine on idle), removed the spark plugs (good condition) checked the gap (0.9MM) and cleaned them. Checked the level and condition of the oil. I also have no error messages. One thing I noticed is that my spark plugs are NGK plugs part No LFR6B, however when I researced (on the net) what the proper spark plugs should be, I found that they should be NGK plugs part No LFR5B. Can this make a difference? It has been suggested to check the vacuum hoses/lines for leaks, however, I dont know exactly where these are, or how to check them (can someone explain in detail or post a diagram).Will not be able to aford to take car to be checked out for a couple of months due to recent family illness expenses, so if anyone can give any comments/advice I will be forever in your debt.

Regards
Cathy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever fix your problem?

Hi

My sister bought a used 307 petrol (2007 model) auto and it seems to have the same problems you described with yours 3 years ago.

Her car has what I'd call a "flat spot" when taking off - i.e. when you press the accelerator the car takes off really slowly then the power seems to cut in after 5 seconds. This is an intermittent problem - mostly seems to happen when the car is cold, but can happen anytime.

I've also noticed a flat spot when putting power on at a roundabout e.g. Brake on approach to 20 klms/hr then apply power when there's a gap in traffic

It's quite dangerous because you can't pull out into traffic with any confidence, and my sister won't drive the car till it's fixed.

The local Peugeot dealer is useless - two visits and $600 later the problem is still there. All they seem capable of is checking error codes (of which there are none). The car is now at a small private Peugeot mechanic but he's scratching his head too.

My guess is ECU problem, Throttle Sensor or Airflow Sensor. There are several posts in this forum and others of similar problems, but I haven't come across a definative answer anywhere.

I'm hoping you resolved your problem and can share how it was resolved.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Just check your fuel cap open to see if there is a vacuum built up if there is a rush of air into tank it could be the faulty breather blocked or kinked the vacuum will cause none starting and the pump will find it hard to draw fuel in a vacuum just a thought and cheap check .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Auto gearboxes have a oil filter in the sump and this is a service (major service) item.
It becomes increasingly difficult for the oil to pass through the filter as it becomes clogged and is at its worst when the engine / box is cold due to the oil being thicker. After a few miles the problem should all but disappear as the oil warms up and thins out.
Not a major worry or risk of damage, but a new filter and oil change would cure it.
HTH,
Nick.

G

·
Auto gearboxes have a oil filter in the sump and this is a service (major service) item.
It becomes increasingly difficult for the oil to pass through the filter as it becomes clogged and is at its worst when the engine / box is cold due to the oil being thicker. After a few miles the problem should all but disappear as the oil warms up and thins out.
Not a major worry or risk of damage, but a new filter and oil change would cure it.
HTH,
Nick.
Not on this gearbox. Its not a serviceable item.

G

·
Hello, posted earlier but no real replies. My newly acquired 2002 peugeot 307 (auto, 1.6 litre) seems to hesitate on take off (noticed more on inclines), and slightly vibrates and makes the engine sound that I can only liken to a car taking off in 2nd gear. However the car is definately taking off in 1st gear, as I have put it in 'snow' mode (which 'does' take off in 2nd gear) a couple of times to compare. The car runs fine once it builds up a little speed, just this sluggish take off problem. The things I have done so far are, check the level and condition of the automatic transmission fluid, checked the air filter, put in a highy quality 'total' fuel system cleaner, cleaned the throttle body with carby cleaner (with engine on idle), removed the spark plugs (good condition) checked the gap (0.9MM) and cleaned them. Checked the level and condition of the oil. I also have no error messages. One thing I noticed is that my spark plugs are NGK plugs part No LFR6B, however when I researced (on the net) what the proper spark plugs should be, I found that they should be NGK plugs part No LFR5B. Can this make a difference? It has been suggested to check the vacuum hoses/lines for leaks, however, I dont know exactly where these are, or how to check them (can someone explain in detail or post a diagram).Will not be able to aford to take car to be checked out for a couple of months due to recent family illness expenses, so if anyone can give any comments/advice I will be forever in your debt.

Regards
Cathy
This gearbox (AL4) is a problematic gearbox. It is imperative to the get the oil changed on regular basis ie once a year.
The torque converter is the weak point on them.
Have the dealers updated the gearbox computer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts