Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been noticing the road noises in the boot of my 207 hatch. Especially at lower speeds on brick roads, some noises can be heard in the back. It sounds a bit as if some stuff in the boot is 'bumping' around, but when I removed everything in the back, the noise is still there. On higher speeds, the noise increases, but it does not sound like something's bumping around anymore.

I think it's noise from the tyres? As I'm running 4-season tyres, I suspect they may be a bit noisy.

I've been looking to dampen the noise a little, and I found that bitumen is used, as well as other dampening materials (from Silent Coat for example). Because these products are not cheap, I'd like some advice on how to use these in the boot of the 207 specifically.

Anybody with some experience with using these materials in a 207? Are the wheel wells the problem? Or is it the floor with the opening for the spare wheel, which seems likely to resonate?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Before you get too involved,try a few wraps of insulation tape round the boot retaining catch.Its a bit awkward but may solve your problem:thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I see why that could be the problem. Are those boot retainers known to have a little play?

But where should I apply the tape? I think in the 'bracket' below (A), or should it be applied in the lock in the lid (B)?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had the same thing, put a bit of bubble wrap about the boot lock latch and cured it straight away.

P.S As Shep says Around the latch in 'A' on your picture. People say tape but i didn't have any at the time hence a strip of bubble wrap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, will try and see if it helps. I noticed that the plastic on that latch has worn down. It has already been taped by someone, but the tape has worn down as well, so this might well help.

But what is actually making the noise? The trunk door doesn't seem to have much play in it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the same thing, put a bit of bubble wrap about the boot lock latch and cured it straight away.

P.S As Shep says Around the latch in 'A' on your picture. People say tape but i didn't have any at the time hence a strip of bubble wrap.
I have tried it with some tape on the latch. It seems to help quite a bit indeed. However, on higher speeds, I still seem to hear a bit of rumbling in the back.

Maybe I need to put more tape on it, as bubble wrap is much thicker? The tape is only maybe 1 mm thick. How did you apply the bubble wrap? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The real issue is wear in the catch in the bootlid the plastic coating on it wears down causing the movement the tape takes up the wear and cures it for a while.

Replacing the catch assembly would cure it but the tape will do fine as its a common issue so a new catch would be best a used one would probably be worn.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have tried it with some tape on the latch. It seems to help quite a bit indeed. However, on higher speeds, I still seem to hear a bit of rumbling in the back.

Maybe I need to put more tape on it, as bubble wrap is much thicker? The tape is only maybe 1 mm thick. How did you apply the bubble wrap? Do you have a picture?
Hi basically just tore it into a strip an wrapped it around a couple of times, didn't even use any tape to secure it. As long as the boot shuts ok then it works.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried with some electrical tape (plastic, and also some textile). It actually helps a bit, as the existing plastic and tape was worn down. It doens't work completely though. I still hear some of that noise, and suspect it is actually coming from the tires.

However, now the boot lid seems to 'stick' a bit. It doesn't open easily, and feels like it sticks to the rubber. Removing some of the tape helps (maybe I just put too much tape on), but it still sticks.

Is that a known problem too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts