Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please.
My ignition key wouldn't go fully into the barrell. I wiggled it and the steerin wheel and locked the steering! After an hour of fiddling the RAC towed me home.

I was told I could drill out the barrell, which would remove the actual steering lock, start the car with a screwdriver and then take the car to be fixed.

The car will turn over but not start. Reading the other posts it appears that I might have been somewhat misinformed and the immobiliser has been triggered. What do I do now? Can I short circuit the immobiliser? Any help/advice gladly received as I can't afford main dealer prices and I really need the car for work.

It's a R reg 306 1.9 diesel. Central locking works but the remotes havent in the 2 years I have owned the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,636 Posts
Immobilisers do not get triggered they always work every time you remove the key !

You have removed a ring round the barrel with wires on it plug the wires back in put your key inside the ring then try starting it should then fire

·
Registered
548 Posts
put your key inside the ring then try starting it should then fire

So just to clarify - you have drilled out the barrel are now trying to start with screwdriver?
If this is the case then its already been said. The transponder (little black chip) is inside the key fob, this needs to be in very close proximity to the transponder ring for the imobilisor to be deactivated. If you can't hold/tape the key near enough to the ring for it to wokr you may need to remove chip from fob and tape that next to ring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hooray. Gentlemen. Thank you so much for your assistance. Your fix worked a treat. Now to save up and properly fix the problem. Thanks again. Clive

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buy a second hand ignition barrel, key and door locks from scrap yard, if your handy enough not to hard to change and just put your remote and transponder chip into the new key that you get and no coding needed. Should be cheap fix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts