Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a suitable cycle carrier for a 407 sw? Would prefer either a high level type, i.e. clear of all lights & number plate if possible. Not sure how the bikes interact with the car, i.e. do they bounce around or hit the car? I don't think I would want one to go on the roof, as they look hard work to get the bikes on, unless anyone knows otherwise?

I've seen you get ones to attach to the tow hitch, but I haven't got the full tow hitch on the car, just the frame & electrics.

Advice/experience gratefully received.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm an MTB instructor, and teach PO-lice officers how to safely duff suspects up while riding a bike etc. I used to sue my 407 saloon to tote my bike around for work and leisure, and without doubt the safest and most secure way to carry them is in a decent carrier mounted on OE roof rails.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just how easy is it to get them on the roof for securing down?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm 6'3" and 238lbs of manliness and have no problems, though anyone under 5'8" or so might struggle. That said, my oppo is only 5'8"ish and he gets his on the roof of his 306SW with no problems.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see you had some roof bars and carrier for sale... would they have fitted the SW?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody know anywhere to get cheap cross bars?? Peugeot ones are £124 :eek: and then there is the cost of the cycle carrier itself. Seen ones for about £30-£40 - any better than this? Carrier also £60-£70ish so could do with knowing of a cheap but reliable one of these too!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decent quality cross bars from the likes of Thule are unlikely to be much cheaper, and look gash.

Don't spend less than £40 on a carrier. In the £40-£70 price range are some decent quality and very effective Mont Blanc carriers. Any less will get you shite, any more really won't bring much else to the party.

Double check, but i think the pug cross-bars come with a standard sized accessory mounting groove in the middle, into which decent quality bike racks fit directly. The saloon ones certainly had this. It looks 500% neater, with no ugly U-clamps etc, and is reassuringly secure. Within sensible limits, you really do get what you pay for with roof bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts