Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The metal CV Boot Cover Clip has come off the outer joint on the offside. I got some clips and grease from a car shop. The boot cover isn't damaged the outer clip nearest to the wheel has just come off and when on full lock the boot cover leaves a gap allowing for dirt entry etc. So I thought a new clip would fix the job. Got a new clip and packed the boot cover full with grease and attached the new clip onto the boot cover and it Sat in the groove perfect but I could not get it tight enough. I did it with it all attached to the car. I just took the wheel off. The clip was quite thin. But when I checked the other side the clip was twice as thick I'll post a pic of the other side. I can't seem to find these thicker clips anywhere online. Any help please?

Attachments

·
6,443 Posts
The thicker clips are not generally available they are factory fitted to the shafts and are often cold or ultrasonically welded which you cannot do at home.

The aftermarket clips will hold if you use the right tool see link below. At a pinch you can sometimes get old fashioned pincers to work

Bergen Tools Ear Type Clip Pliers Cv Joint Boot Clips Hoses B5835

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried but the clip just kept spinning round on the grease. I'll try again soon and wipe it clean and go again. Might make it easier if I remove the brake disc? Can you tighten it with any other tools?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
A Bergen clip tool might be ok if you just do the occasional job with it. I have found a pair of pincers work well.
However if you intend to do your own maintenance then upgrading to something like a Laser brand for about £20 will be better in the long run imo.
No need to get a Snap On or other premium brand unless you are a full time mechanic.

Roger.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i gave up with them, both the originals snapped on the daughters car, so went to the plumbing section in b&q and got two large jubelee clips.

the advantage is they can be done up with a socket, however it is so easy to overtighten and it will bite through the boot so care must be taken.

also get rags and some brake cleaner/contact cleaner etc and give it a good clean.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silly question. But at the top of the driveshaft there's a small gap which I know the jubilee clip won't fit under. Does the boot cover rotate when the wheel turns or is it just the driveshaft and joint?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yes the clip turns with the shaft.
I don't recommend Jubillee clips, or cable ties come to that. For a permanent fix either use the right tool and clip or get some who has the tool to do it.

Roger.

·
Registered
186 Posts
They picked this up on my 207 when it was in for a major service at the dealer, re packed and a new clip done without charging me extra, this is why i love my dealership, very helpful lot :D :thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ive had exact same problem! ended up replacing CV boot as it just kept slipping off. went through 2-3 clips.

i gave up with them, both the originals snapped on the daughters car, so went to the plumbing section in b&q and got two large jubelee clips.

the advantage is they can be done up with a socket, however it is so easy to overtighten and it will bite through the boot so care must be taken.

also get rags and some brake cleaner/contact cleaner etc and give it a good clean.
from what ive heard, they will fail your mot if they spot one of them on your cv boot!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ive had exact same problem! ended up replacing CV boot as it just kept slipping off. went through 2-3 clips. from what ive heard, they will fail your mot if they spot one of them on your cv boot!
You car should fail from an insecure clip or a leaking boot. If a bodge repair is working on the day of the test then it should pass.

Roger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts