Peugeot Forums banner

Cruise Control retrofit NFU (1.6l Petrol) manual ME7.4.4

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Dangar 
#1 ·
OK, I have the stalk, and the values change in PP2000 when the switches are activated, but whenever I try to set CC to 'present' in the 'instruments' section of PP2000 and it says something like 'update failed'.

After a bit more digging, I've found a document in Portuguese with the wiring of the 7.4.4 in the 206 and Citroen C3. The diagram has a brake and clutch switch input for the C3 only. These are wired to the 48 pin connector at positions M1 and F1 respectively.

The car has a 2 wire brake switch only, and no clutch switch. That said, PP2000 will occasionally throw a 'clutch switch' error in the ECU diagnostics. Go figure. There is a second hole next to the brake switch, and a hole above the clutch pedal.

I'm not sure if the braking signal is supposed to get to the ECU via a CANBUS message from the BSI, or directly via a switch. The brake switch wiring appears to go both directly to the brake lights in the BSI diagram, but there is also an extra wire (TR-NUM) that appears to go back to the brains of the ECU.

On the softcopy wiring diagrams, there is no clutch switch on the diagram with my RPO. If I select the 7.4.5 or 7.4.9 ECU, there is a clutch switch (7045) connected direct to the ECU, but no brake switch.

I'm thinking wiring any generic NC switch wired back to the ECU clutch terminal may well allow me to select the CC. (I am far too familiar with the ECU connectors - here's why...) I also have a set of spare ECU connectors and flyleads for the same reason. I'm still thinking the brake signal goes back via the ECU. Initially I'll probably just connect it to ground and see if it plays ball. Might even jack the front up so I can test the functionality in the driveway if I get that far.

I'm pretty sure the spare connectors I had were for an auto with cruise. On the spare 48 pin connector, there is no clutch wire to F1 (obviously) but there is also no brake wire to M1 which adds weight to my theory that the brake signal on the petrol cars comes back through the BSI.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever seen a CC fitted to a 206 Mux manual with a 7.4.4 ECU? If anyone knows of such a sample vehicle (factory or retrofit) I would appreciate you taking the time to PM me so I can ask you for some details of how it was done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cruise control needs switching on in the engine ecu as well as the BSI unit.

Most 206 the cruise control option in the engine ecu is locked out in the software & unable to be changed even with Peugeot Planet.

#3 ·
Thanks Mr Lee.

I did know that the ECU needed switching on as well. I had managed to switch it over in the ECU by telling it there was an auto trans. I was hoping it might magically appear as an option with the manual once I had the BSI switched over.

#5 ·
OK, so figured out how to enable the CC in the ECU. It's under the electrical system. And I can enable it as a manual.

However, it throws some ECU errors - something about the throttle pedal and CC coherence.

Still couldn't enable it in the instruments - 'downloading faulty' error.

Only had limited time to play tonight.

I think I had read somewhere that the diesel CC throttle sensor was different to the normal one. Is that the case for petrol engines too?

I did try grounding the clutch switch input. At first it came up with a motorised butterfly fault, but that turned out to be a loose wire in the ECU connector (one where I had damaged the housing on my previous ECU adventure. Forgot it needed a little extra care on re-connecting). It is open circuit again with a wire running to it for easy ground/open.

So I'm getting closer. I think I saw in one of the other threads someone had it working without the instrument display....

#6 ·
Well, some success. Not sure what all those DTCs were the first time around. I have been able to set the CC on within the engine ECU without throwing any fault codes, but not been able to set it in the instruments.
None the less, it appears that the COMM2000 unit is sending the commands to the ECU, as it is working as expected, just no display...

I was a bit baffled at first when I took it for a drive just around the local blocks - I was sure I had it working once, but couldn't get it working again. Now I know that it only engages in 4th or 5th gear. The ME7.4.4 appears to not require a clutch switch - there is an option in PP2000 to enable it, but I have left it as 'Clutch switch - absent.' But when the clutch is engaged, CC turns off. I presume it has some code to compare the engine revs with wheel speed and detect when they are not in ratio.

Did any 206 have factory cruise control? I can't seem to find it in any of the user handbooks on the Peugeot website. There also doesn't appear to be any lights on either the 'Monochrome B' panel or the instrument panel. The 207 manual has instructions though. The other thing is, it doesn't appear to have a 'resume' function. The 'Pause' button (on the end) disables it when running, but doesn't appear to go back to last set speed. Perhaps the preset speed is stored in the instrument system rather than the ECU.

Anyway, I'll enjoy what I have, hasn't been a total waste of effort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.