Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 307 S 1.6L HDI 90

Had the cruise enabled yesterday so went for a short drive to try it out and it worked fine. This morning on my 60 mdrive to work, the cruise was working fine and it made the long drive seem less stressfull. Close to the end of the journey, I was approching a junction so switched off the cruise control using the button on the end of the stalk and coasted to the junction. When I turned and got up to speed, the cruise control wouldn't switch back on. The yellow warning triangle on the dash was lit and the MFD was showing Speed control faulty.

The question is this.....

Could this be because I have a stalk with limiter but the limiter function isn't enabled? When I arrived at work, I switched off the ignition then when I started the engine again, the error had gone.

Or could it be because I used the button to cancel cruise control rather than say touching the brake? Seems unlikely as that would make the cancel/resume button rather obsolete in that it would be better to have just a resume function.

I'm pretty sure I don't have the correct accelerator pedal for the limiter function to work correctly and to be honest, I never used the limiter on the other two cars I have had that had cruise control / speed limiter so I'm not really bothered whether the speed limiter works or not but I'll get it enabled if it will stop this from happening.

When cruise control is working, it does the job great and I could probably live with some kind of workaround but if I can get it right, I would rather do that.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went out at lunchtime just to see if it was working and caught the stalk by accident whilst out of gear and stationary. Had to smile at the message....

Cruise Control impossible

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did a BSI reset and it's working again. Me's a happy bunny again ;)

Had to stick the RD4 head unit in to setup the MFD as it had defaulted to french and Jan 1st 2003

All sorted now tho. If it happens again I'll pick up a brake switch.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn, it's stopped working again. Same thing, Speed Control faulty. Guess it's time to check on the brake & clutch switches.

Hopefully a simple fix.
Think I've nailed this one. Tried another BSI reset and went out in the car with the select switch set to cruise but not actually set the speed. Came to a junction and as soon as I touched the brake the MFD started showing the Speed Control Faulty error message.

Took the switch out and metered it and found that the normally closed switch was either high resistance or reading open circuit when the switch was depressed then released. Stripped the switch and reformed the moving contact and now the switch works as it should. Gonna take it for a spin at lunch to see if it has cured the problem. If not, the switch is £6 from eurocarparts which is just down the road from work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had this issue on my 308 GTI for a while. Sometimes the cruise control works, sometimes not. Usually when I press the cruise control function, the three dashes on the in-dash display just flash. Speed limiter works fine. No error messages show up though. I had a look at the brake switch and adjusted the plunger but to no avail. Do you think it is just a faulty brake switch, with the above having been said?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had this issue on my 308 GTI for a while. Sometimes the cruise control works, sometimes not. Usually when I press the cruise control function, the three dashes on the in-dash display just flash. Speed limiter works fine. No error messages show up though. I had a look at the brake switch and adjusted the plunger but to no avail. Do you think it is just a faulty brake switch, with the above having been said?
It could still be the brake switch. Because the limiter doesn't try to keep the speed from dropping and won't try to accelerate the car when the speed drops there would be no reason to cancel it when either the brake or clutch pedals are depressed. There isn't a safety issue as there would be with cruise control.

The car I had when I started this thread needed the brake switch. When that car was written off and I got the replacement, cruise control wouldn't work so I replaced the brake switch as the first option and it proved to be the correct choice.

As they are inexpensive items to buy I wouldn't hesitate in replacing it before looking for other possible causes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you're right, I must just try and get hold of one of these switches locally. Its crazy the difference in price for Pug parts overseas as opposed to here in SA. I think they're having us here, haha!

Thanks for your response, storeman!

·
Registered
402 Posts
As I am installing cruise controls on PSA cars in my spare time, I have seen different faults, but the most common one is the clutch switch, take a multimeter and measure the switch, if there is over 3 ohm resistance, the cruise control wont work, the next thing is the brake switch, but that shows up on a fault reading, the clutch switch normally doesn't

Holt

PS: if you give the clutch switch a drop of contact cleaner, wd40 or similar, you normally can get the switch to work until you can get a replacement

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a similar intermittent problem on my 307, I found when I put my foot under the clutch pedal and lifted it the cruise would work so I checked the clutch pedal switch and found it had split causing the problem. I replaced the switch and it's been fine ever since.

PS. The switch is in a horrible place and very difficult to change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Speed control system

Hi all, came across this discussion as I am having problems on my 407, without even activating cruise control I get an error saying "speed control system malfunction", when this appears it cuts power to engine so my car dies, and will not start for 10/15 mins, I had a new crank sensor a while ago when first happened and it seemed to cure this, but now it's happening again!!!!
Should I replace the switches talked about? and is it an easy/hard job?

Many thanks for any response:confused:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't think your fault is related to the cruise control, when there is a fault on the cruise control, the message normally is something like "Cruise Control Malfunction" the speed control must be something different.

Holt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I dont know if it is coincidental or not but this issue happens MAJORITY of the time first thing in the morning once I get onto the freeway and up to cruising speed on my way to work. On my way home, generally no issues and cruise control engages no problem. I dont know if the vehicle not being 100% warm could impact it? Its about 5 minutes from my home to the freeway.

Either way, thanks for the inputs. I think the switch might need to be replaced, though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts