Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I get a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel both left and right. It doesn't seem to affect the steering. It also makes the noise when turning the wheel stationary. I have had a garage look at it and they said it will be the steering rack but was safe to drive. A friend said it may not be as the car would pull to one one side. Any suggestions on what to do now would be much appreciated. Also is it safe? Thanks

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
A creaking rack would NOT automatically pull to 1 side !!

It could be the rack it could be the column bearings it could be the universal joint it could even be the strut tops without seeing the car nobody is going to know for sure :)

As for is it safe only YOU can decide that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have this too !!!!! it also clanks about when hit uneven surfaces..sounds like when a front spring is not seated in the cup ,and when I get a car wash with the underside wash included it disappears till it all dries out the it gradually comes back ? Took it into a garage, up on ramp they spent 15 mins trying to find source , told me it was coming through the alloy front sub-frame and needed to book it in to find the reason. I was told sub-frame is in 2 parts and they would need to check tightness of all bolts connecting them and check for dry bushes .....sounds like a labour timed game to me ? :confused:

Anyone had this before ? cheers Kim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Creaking noise has stopped

The creaking noise when turning the wheel seems to have stopped. Does this mean it may be the rod ends rather than the steering rack? It only has 39,000 miles on it. Phoned the garage who said initially it was the steering rack and they said they cannot be sure until they strip it down. Story seems to have changed. Steering is a little off now but that is the only problem (it's manageble) any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would've thought that it is more likely to be the strut tops than the rack to be honest, though no one on here is really going to be able to tell you without looking at it unfortunately

·
Registered
202 Posts
Had the same problem with my 59 plate 207,took back to dealer and think they just lubed the top of suspension/bearing on both sides as they weren't long and I was being nosey through the servicing viewing window.Never had a problem again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts