Peugeot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
508 SW First Edition (1.6 L 225 bhp)
11 Posts
Hi all
Bit of an update at my end - so Charters Peugeot ordered a new check strap, which was fitted today but, it didn’t make any difference, and the noise is the same! - I also noted the other day that when the car’s elevation is changed i.e. on uneven surfaces while parking on uneven ground recently I noted the same creaking noise from Driver side door - this was when the whole car was moving while driving on an uneven surface in the ground parking lot - my point is changing the check strap was a wasted effort as the issue is with the frame not anything attached to it - the dealership said next step is the bodyshop repair - they would ask the bodyshop for survey & quote and I would have to bring the car back when contacted again….my fear is would they bodyshop know what they have to do? What if the repair is unsuccessful & what options are next for us affected customers for a car which is under manufacturer’s warranty -it is frustrating to think that If Peugeot knows what is the issue, why they dont have a clearly laid out plan for affected customers involving dealerships and bodyshop with detailed laid out instructions on how to fix!

·
Registered
2019 508 GT FASTBACK
63 Posts
I must admit that since this saga began I have been careful not to fully open my doors with any force just in case I pop a weld or two, maybe thats how it begins.
I don't really see how peugeot can say this is not a safety issue, I believe it would be in the event of an accident and more should be done to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are there any updates on this?
After so much back and forth with the Peugeot dealership & Peugeot UK, my car is booked for bodyshop repair on 20th Sept - it would be good if forum members, who had the same issue, can share their experience if the bodyshop repair resolved their issue, and what it entailed? Off-course I am anxious as the dealership haven’t exactly shared what the repair actually involve- also, warranty on my car runs out in Dec 2022 - so whatever the repair will be, it will only be warrantied until the car warranty runs out in Dec - even if I take the extended an warranty, this repair wont be covered under extended warranty…

·
Registered
22 Posts
After so much back and forth with the Peugeot dealership & Peugeot UK, my car is booked for bodyshop repair on 20th Sept - it would be good if forum members, who had the same issue, can share their experience if the bodyshop repair resolved their issue, and what it entailed? Off-course I am anxious as the dealership haven’t exactly shared what the repair actually involve- also, warranty on my car runs out in Dec 2022 - so whatever the repair will be, it will only be warrantied until the car warranty runs out in Dec - even if I take the extended an warranty, this repair wont be covered under extended warranty…
If the issue persist it will be covered if the warranty is over. The first phase of the repair is to reinforce the welding in the frame. If the problem persist is to put foam between the metal sheets. But from experience you will notice sound when opening or closing, but no cracks 😊. It is disappointing but... Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My car has been trailered to Peugeot UK in Coventry for examination and repair by their technical team. I'm advised the focus is on repairing the defective creaking driver's door - they are confident this can be done - and assessing any sub-frame issues arising from the earlier repair.

I'll post a full update when I get it back - hopefully, next week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Good afternoon, all,

I have just got the car back after a fortnight at Peugeot UK in Coventry. I am advised that the driver's door has been re-aligned and a "dry weld" has been fixed. The original repair has been assessed using "appropriate means" and the function of the safety cage is deemed to be unaffected (it was implied that this process involved x-raying and otherwise analysing the safety cage, but no-one would be specific).

I can confirm that, at present, the door is no longer creaking and does appear to operate more smoothly. All that can now be heard is a click as the check strap engages when the door is fully opened, which is to be expected.

My complaint asked that the creaking door be fixed and that I receive confirmation that the safety cage was not compromised, and Peugeot UK has responded to both points with a repair and a full examination that addressed my concerns - although the detail of that outcome has not been communicated to me in writing. Only the dealer knows what happened, and the whole matter is still subject to Peugeot's confidentiality clauses.

For my part, I consider it the best outcome I could have expected, and it cost me nothing, even for the loan of a courtesy car for the duration (a brand new 2008, since you ask!) Peugeot has honoured its warranty obligations and provided me with the first body shop repair at, I would guess, considerable cost to them. When that didn't work, they took the car to the UK workshops via RAC Relay from/to the dealership and deployed all necessary resources to sort it out and reassure me, as the customer again at some significant cost.

Peugeot UK customer care was hopeless, apart from when I found the one individual who understood the issues (see earlier posts - I had eight incident handlers in total). However, once I was able to engage the main dealer to push the right buttons and get the matter past the customer care team, things began to happen. Peugeot UK's technical team also deserve some credit for persistence in finding a solution.

It's now been 8-months since the problem was first identified. It's been a learning curve, believe me, and has sometimes stretched my patience to breaking point. Keeping the dealer onside has been key to progressing this properly, together with keeping a full record every step of the way. I will say this: I came to Peugeot from Volvo and have no regrets. I have had far more support from Peugeot than I ever received from Volvo, despite the "premium brand" and "premium service" nonsense. All Volvo seemed to want was lots of money for not a lot in return!

I will advise you if anything changes, but otherwise I consider the matter closed. Many thanks to you all for your advice and support, and good luck with resolving any of your own related concerns.

Happy motoring and enjoy the UK bank holiday!

Iain

·
Registered
2019 Twilight Blue 508 First Edition 225 Fastback
101 Posts
Good afternoon, all,

I have just got the car back after a fortnight at Peugeot UK in Coventry. I am advised that the driver's door has been re-aligned and a "dry weld" has been fixed. The original repair has been assessed using "appropriate means" and the function of the safety cage is deemed to be unaffected (it was implied that this process involved x-raying and otherwise analysing the safety cage, but no-one would be specific).

I can confirm that, at present, the door is no longer creaking and does appear to operate more smoothly. All that can now be heard is a click as the check strap engages when the door is fully opened, which is to be expected.

My complaint asked that the creaking door be fixed and that I receive confirmation that the safety cage was not compromised, and Peugeot UK has responded to both points with a repair and a full examination that addressed my concerns - although the detail of that outcome has not been communicated to me in writing. Only the dealer knows what happened, and the whole matter is still subject to Peugeot's confidentiality clauses.

For my part, I consider it the best outcome I could have expected, and it cost me nothing, even for the loan of a courtesy car for the duration (a brand new 2008, since you ask!) Peugeot has honoured its warranty obligations and provided me with the first body shop repair at, I would guess, considerable cost to them. When that didn't work, they took the car to the UK workshops via RAC Relay from/to the dealership and deployed all necessary resources to sort it out and reassure me, as the customer again at some significant cost.

Peugeot UK customer care was hopeless, apart from when I found the one individual who understood the issues (see earlier posts - I had eight incident handlers in total). However, once I was able to engage the main dealer to push the right buttons and get the matter past the customer care team, things began to happen. Peugeot UK's technical team also deserve some credit for persistence in finding a solution.

It's now been 8-months since the problem was first identified. It's been a learning curve, believe me, and has sometimes stretched my patience to breaking point. Keeping the dealer onside has been key to progressing this properly, together with keeping a full record every step of the way. I will say this: I came to Peugeot from Volvo and have no regrets. I have had far more support from Peugeot than I ever received from Volvo, despite the "premium brand" and "premium service" nonsense. All Volvo seemed to want was lots of money for not a lot in return!

I will advise you if anything changes, but otherwise I consider the matter closed. Many thanks to you all for your advice and support, and good luck with resolving any of your own related concerns.

Happy motoring and enjoy the UK bank holiday!

Iain
Really pleased to hear this has finally been resolved for you, it sounds like a good outcome in the end.

Thanks for providing the updates, an interesting comparison between Peugeot and Volvo! My door is still creaking but I’m considering approaching my dealership about it.

Happy motoring and I hope you enjoy the bank holiday too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all.. ive been following this threat for a while now as ive been experiencing a clicking noise on my door when opening fully.. i initially took it in a few weeks ago and they replaced the check strap.. they forgot to reconnect my mood lighting and their fix didnt work.. when i took it back yesterday for them to reconne t my mood lighting wiring, they advised they would re check what was going on with the door.. i also told them that i was getting creaking from the dashboard when going over uneven surfaces.. the master tech has advised that i need the fix you guys have mentioned and im just awaiting peugeot authorisation.. what the mast tech said is that due to the flexing of the a pillar, this is causing the creaking in the dash.. question is... did anyone with this same problem also have creaking of the dashboard too? And if so, was it resolved when the a pillar fix ? Thanks all .. im on the isle of man so we only have one peugeot dealer and they have had to send it to two external body shops for quotes... 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
11 Posts
First of all on the bodyshops, none of the Peugeot dealership here in south of England (London area and greater counties), have an in house bodyshop - they work with external bodyshops who are Peugeot approved. Now about the noise, I experienced it everytime I opened or closed the front drivers door - also, while driving at an elevated road recently, during pulling the car from stand still, I heard the creaking noise around front door even the door was closed - also, experienced it while driving on uneven softer grounds (went to few festivals in summer so parked out in open in greens and experienced the creak while moving up and down on uneven surfaces ) - interestingly, when I took the car to the first dealership about this issue , they said that there is a Peugeot TSB: C1AW013WQ0, which states that there is weld inside the front pillar where the door is attached to the frame and this weld wasn’t done properly during manufacturing and its this weld which weakens and makes this creaking noise every time door is opened or closed and only a body shop can repair this. Fast forward my car is currently at the dealership (a different one - dropped it on 20th Sept) and they have the authorisation from Peugeot UK to perform this repair - when I dropped the car, I tried my best to find more from the dealership but they wont give a straight answer although I could see in the paper work that there were instructions and all the images linked to the TSB were enclosed but they wont show it - when I asked what the repair is, this time they said it is on the door itself rather than the body front pillar area , and its the door which would be repaired this time (at least this is what they told me) — I did say that first dealership shared different details related to the TSB however they just insisted that the repair is being performed in accordance with Peugeot’s repair instructions to the door, and everything would be sorted out . In my mind, I am thinking that perhaps the instructions from Peugeot is to attempt these repairs in stages and if the repair don’t work, go to the next stage - this is why here another forum member’s car was eventually taken to Peugeot UK’s headquarters in Coventry for repair which was successful at the end. I dont have great hope that dealer or their appointed bodyshop would be able to solve this issue and ultimately my car would end up in Coventry too. I will share further once I get my car back (hopefully) in next week. All the best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Really pleased to hear this has finally been resolved for you, it sounds like a good outcome in the end.

Thanks for providing the updates, an interesting comparison between Peugeot and Volvo! My door is still creaking but I’m considering approaching my dealership about it.

Happy motoring and I hope you enjoy the bank holiday too!
I thought you might be interested in the Volvo thread (Oil level too high - sold the car! - Volvo Owners Club Forum) As you can see, despite having problems with both marques, I retain some confidence in Peugeot, but none in Volvo. Of course, others might have a different experience...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all. New owner (3 days!) of a 2019 GtLine 2.0 hdi. I've read this post - and then realised my car appears to have a slight creak coming from the driver's door. It doesn't do this when fully open, but only when the door is halfway. I've also noticed the creak is there door closed when driving (noticeable at slow speed).

I'm hoping it's just a bad check strap - but this seems unlikely. Hinges are all greased, etc. I read the above posts - but wanted to ask how involved the fix is ? I don't want to reject the car - it took ages to find this one.

I guess the first step is to notify my dealer and make them aware of the TSB reference and go from there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all. New owner (3 days!) of a 2019 GtLine 2.0 hdi. I've read this post - and then realised my car appears to have a slight creak coming from the driver's door. It doesn't do this when fully open, but only when the door is half open. I've also noticed the creak is there door closed when driving (noticeable at slow speed).

I'm hoping it's just a bad check strap - but this seems unlikely. Hinges are all greased, etc. I read the above posts - but wanted to ask how involved the fix is ? I don't want to reject the car - it took ages to find this one.

I guess the first step is to notify my dealer and make them aware of the TSB reference and go from there.
Do not reject the car, they will fix it (no 100%). But the creak when driving will disappear 😊.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car is at the dealership since 20th Sept for the bodyshop repair (3rd party bodyshop which the dealership work with) - they attempted the repair and it didn’t resolve the issue- now they are in touch with Peugeot’s technical team to advise so that they can perform further repair as advised (no details shared with me so no clue whats been done to the car up to now - mixed message that the problem is with the door - other version is its the A pillar- no clarity at all!) - Peugeot’s customer services have been in touch a few times to assure me that full assistance is being provided and the issue would be resolved to full satisfaction. For me, the car must be fixed 100% - no half measures here - will find out more whenever the car is returned!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hi all. New owner (3 days!) of a 2019 GtLine 2.0 hdi. I've read this post - and then realised my car appears to have a slight creak coming from the driver's door. It doesn't do this when fully open, but only when the door is halfway. I've also noticed the creak is there door closed when driving (noticeable at slow speed).

I'm sorry to hear you, too, have the problem. From the gradual increase in responses to this thread, it is more widespread than I first assumed.

If your car is brand new, then you have the option of rejecting it but, as others have said and you acknowledge, it is a great car and will take some time to replace - whether you choose another Peugeot, or another brand. As you can see from my earlier post, I was once a proud Volvo owner, but the car had many problems, the support from the dealer was poor and Volvo UK refused to acknowledge the issues. Other Volvo owners reported similar issues with all the "premium" brands.

It took many frustrating months to sort out my 508's door, but the dealer was on side, and the matter was eventually resolved. In my view, the quality of your relationship with your dealer could be a key factor in your decision. It was only when my dealer became properly engaged that stuff started to happen and proper progress was made.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Larchdale hi, for my piece of mind, can you please share whether the dealership, or Peugeot UK, shared specific details of the repairs carried out? i.e. whether the problem was with the door or the A pillar, and what the repair involved? Finally, did they offer any warranty on this repair? Curious as my car’s warranty runs out in Dec, and if the problem reemerges or not fixed properly, not clear where I would stand once the warranty is over! Off course, given the issues with the car I am going to purchase an extended warranty anyway after Dec. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
@Larchdale hi, for my piece of mind, can you please share whether the dealership, or Peugeot UK, shared specific details of the repairs carried out? i.e. whether the problem was with the door or the A pillar, and what the repair involved? Finally, did they offer any warranty on this repair? Curious as my car’s warranty runs out in Dec, and if the problem reemerges or not fixed properly, not clear where I would stand once the warranty is over! Off course, given the issues with the car I am going to purchase an extended warranty anyway after Dec. Thanks
Hi, I can confirm that neither Peugeot UK or the dealership disclosed anything meaningful about the fault, or the repairs they eventually carried out. I formed the impression that the dealership was bound by Peugeot not to disclose details of the TSB, so any snippets of information I was given were very limited. That has been confirmed by others on the forum from their own experiences - I didn't even get the number of the TSB that's been posted by another.

In my case, I was initially told that the fault was "insufficient welds" on the A pillar, between the skin and the safety cage, and that seems to be the title of the TSB that others have also been quoted when they raise the problem at a dealership. That was the reason for the first repair by the Peugeot- approved body shop, which was not successful. The later, successful, repair at Peugeot UK in Coventry was followed by verbal feedback from the dealership that the door had been realigned and a "dry weld" had been remade, which implies to me that the resolution involved the door, rather than the A pillar. If so, it seems to me (a complete layman, mind) that is a different problem to the one described in the TSB. Does it warrant a TSB of its own? Who knows...

To answer your last point: I was not offered any form of specific additional warranty on the repairs. I understand that all work/repairs carried out by a Peugeot dealership carry a standard 12-month warranty unless otherwise stated and I assume that would apply in my case. Like you, I intend to take out an extended warranty when the standard warranty expires in a couple of years, assuming I don't change the car at that point. However, my experience with my former Volvo's extended warranty was that the cover was more limited, with several exclusions, so you might want to check that it covers what you need, if you're relying on it.

I do hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Larchdale
Thanks so much for your reply and sharing your experience. How you are finding the car now i.e is the noise completely gone, and are you satisfied?
Anything to look for after repair? Also , any signs / imperfections or respray signs on the A pillar which you have noted?
re the door, the issue which amazes me is that lets say there is an issue with the door - isn't more convenient for Peugeot to replace the full door with a new one instead of attempting repairs - also, this ‘dry weld’ term need to be understood as for me it would be nothing more than a glue or a packing to eradicate the noise - but yea we can only speculate here as Peugeot clearly don't want people to know all the details around this manufacturing defect, which clearly has impacted certain batches - might be trying to avoid a court claim and avoiding shareholder specific details with customers 🫣.
I shall be providing further update when my car returns (who knows when).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
@Larchdale
Thanks so much for your reply and sharing your experience. How you are finding the car now i.e is the noise completely gone, and are you satisfied?
Anything to look for after repair? Also , any signs / imperfections or respray signs on the A pillar which you have noted?
re the door, the issue which amazes me is that lets say there is an issue with the door - isn't more convenient for Peugeot to replace the full door with a new one instead of attempting repairs - also, this ‘dry weld’ term need to be understood as for me it would be nothing more than a glue or a packing to eradicate the noise - but yea we can only speculate here as Peugeot clearly don't want people to know all the details around this manufacturing defect, which clearly has impacted certain batches - might be trying to avoid a court claim and avoiding shareholder specific details with customers 🫣.
I shall be providing further update when my car returns (who knows when).
Hi again,

Presently, I am satisfied with the eventual repair from Peugeot UK. The creaking/groaning noise as the door was opened and closed has gone. All I now hear is a click when the door is opened to its fullest extent, and I'm putting that down to the proper operation of the check strap.

Others have reported creaking noises elsewhere in the car,, for instance the dashboard, and some say they have creaks from the door even when it is closed. That was not my experience, although I did become a little paranoid and fixated on the problem and thought I was experiencing something when the door was closed. It turned out to be a loose item in the door bin, so I had a word with myself and decided to stop looking for more grief, just in case I found any!

I don't understand the term "dry weld". I searched for it and came up with some interesting links to underwater welding techniques which, to be honest, weren't terribly helpful. I think that the term might be used in this context to describe a door seam that has not been properly glued during manufacture, but that's a guess.

The realigning of the door seems more significant. When the car first came back from repair, raising or lowering the drivers window made a squealing noise that disappeared after a couple of weeks, as the window rubbers bedded in. A bit of silicone spray helped greatly. But my point is that I think the majority of the problem lay with the door, rather than the A pillar as originally diagnosed.

To answer your question: the quality of the bodywork repair was very high. I really cannot tell that any work has been done and the car is pristine. I remain a little twitchy about the drilling into the carbon steel safety cage, then applying heat for the riveting process (see earlier post), which I'm told is a no-no, but I'm assured the cage retains its integrity, so I feel I have to accept that. It was all pointless anyway, since it didn't fix what ultimately turned out to be a different issue.

I really do appreciate the concern of all those encountering these problems. I didn't anticipate them when I bought a 3-month old car with less than 1500 miles on the clock, and I've spent 8 months trying to resolve them. I look at all this in the context of my experience with Volvo, which I thought was my first "premium" car and turned out an expensive crock of sh1t with a dealership that couldn't give a toss. The Peugeot experience has been cheaper, better and more supportive so, on balance, I'm not complaining despite it all.

Happy days!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts