Peugeot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2020 GT line has just come out of the garage, it’s got to go back to body shop for remedial work for this problem, they’ve got to drill holes, remedy problem, weld up holes and re spray (which is good as they managed to scratch the door pillar)…. Goes in in about 4 weeks…

·
Registered
2019 508 GT FASTBACK
63 Posts
@Twilight what year is your 508, I'm trying to work out what years are affected, I think so far we have 20, 21 and 22.....that tells me it's more than just a batch of vehicles
Hi all, I think I may have the same issue. I don’t often open my driver’s door fully but when I do I’m now noticing a faint creak that isn’t present when opening the front passenger door. It’s probably been doing it for ages but this thread has made me take notice. Thanks @Larchdale for highlighting it, sounds like you’ve had a bit of a challenging time but good to hear that Peugeot UK have been supportive after the initial misunderstanding. How is your claim going?
@ChrissyC Sorry to hear you about the experience you’ve had too. Have you had any progress yet?

·
Registered
2019 Twilight Blue 508 First Edition 225 Fastback
101 Posts
2019 SW First Edition on a 69 plate but haven't noticed this problem as yet. Might need some closer scrutiny perhaps?
The amount my door creaks appears to vary. It was quite noticeable yesterday, less so today but still present. I was wondering if they actually built all of the First Editions first, or if other models were on the production line. Perhaps I’m overthinking it…

·
Registered
508 SW First Edition (1.6 L 225 bhp)
11 Posts
Hi Forum members!,

It appears I am also affected with the same issue.... :(
Its been only a week since I got the car, and from day one, I am experiencing this wired creaking noise while opening the drivers door - i thought it was loose door pin or lack of lubrication etc - the other day I had a close look and yes I noticed that when the driver door is opened, the hinge, which is bolted onto the A pillar, creates a a considerable flex in the body panel the door is opened - as if if the door is opened bit wide with a bit of force, it would rip off!
A request to forum members (particular to those in UK experiencing the same issue) please share how far you have reached in getting this issue sorted under warranty, and what it involve?

Good that car is still under warranty otherwise It would have been a disaster!- Overall I am liking the car however issues such as this, are frightening!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Forum members!,

It appears I am also affected with the same issue.... :(
Its been only a week since I got the car, and from day one, I am experiencing this wired creaking noise while opening the drivers door - i thought it was loose door pin or lack of lubrication etc - the other day I had a close look and yes I noticed that when the driver door is opened, the hinge, which is bolted onto the A pillar, creates a a considerable flex in the body panel the door is opened - as if if the door is opened bit wide with a bit of force, it would rip off!
A request to forum members (particular to those in UK experiencing the same issue) please share how far you have reached in getting this issue sorted under warranty, and what it involve?

Good that car is still under warranty otherwise It would have been a disaster!- Overall I am liking the car however issues such as this, are frightening!

Thanks in advance
Pity Peugeot can't tell from a VIN whether or not your car is affected because I can see many owners only discovering this after their warranty runs out. Haven't noticed it on mine yet (registered December 2019) so I hope if it's going to happen it happens soon 😬

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi all,

I'm sorry to see that others have discovered this problem with their cars.

Just an update from my end. I apologise in advance for the long post, but members of the forum have been kind enough to ask for the detail as it might be useful to others. I hope that's the case.

My second attempt to engage Peugeot UK, the main dealer, and an approved body shop in providing me with a warranty repair seems to have borne fruit. I have just booked in for the repairs in June.

A few points that could be useful to others (all from a UK perspective):
  • My case was finally allocated to a competent, sensible grown-up who was focussed on resolving it and called back when promised etc. It took several tries to find him, so I assume Peugeot UK is a little short of talent.
  • He explained that, to progress a claim, it is necessary for the main dealer to act as an intermediary, since they use Peugeot's in-house software package. An independent, Peugeot-approved body shop will not have access to this - they're usually approved by several manufacturers and it's too expensive for them to acquire all the different software packages. Only Peugeot dealers with in-house body shops will have direct access to the software, and it's rare, nowadays, for dealers to keep a body shop in-house.
  • So, in my case, it was necessary for Peugeot UK to explain to my dealer its duty of care to a customer (me) in the event of a warranty claim. I'm told they can be slow to understand the benefit of offering to be a broker between an independent body shop and Peugeot UK when they perceive there's little or nothing in it for them. Those with warm, fuzzy feelings towards any car brand would do well to understand the purely transactional, commercial nature of their relationship with a dealer. Both customers and cars are simply a commodity to exploit for profit, No profit, no interest! Remember that whatever PR bol**x they produce for the website/sales team/customer relationship team etc.
  • In the end, my claim handler from Peugeot UK used his leverage with the main dealer and, in the immortal words of John Wayne (The Alamo since you ask) 'got medieval on their a*s'. This revealed the one person in the dealership who understood how the system worked and what was necessary to 'achieve a positive outcome for the customer'!
  • So, we find that the body shop will invoice the referring dealer which, in turn, will use the in-house software package to invoice Peugeot UK for the warranty repair costs, using the claim number as a reference throughout. There now, that didn't hurt a bit, did it?
  • Note that I have never seen the repair quote, or had any discussion with the body shop about the nature of the repair, cause of the problem etc. I am told they will collect my car, then return it a few days later repaired to approved standards. My role appears to be to hand over the key and the car. The rest is a confidential matter between the repairer and Peugeot UK, as the bill-payer.
I'll let you know how the repair goes, and whether, in the end, I am still the proud owner of a Peugeot who feels the car is worth what I paid for it. Hope springs eternal!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the update
Here is my story so far….

I booked my car at Eden Peugeot, High Wycombe -when I explained the problem, they asked me to wait - after an hour, the service manager took me back to the car and asked me to check If I can still hear the creaking noise while opening the door - the noise was there with no difference at all! - I could see WD 40 sprayed allover the hinge - he explained that there is a Peugeot TSB ref: C1AW013WQ0 for this issue- this TSB offers x3 step (he didn’t explain what are the first two however the first two are repair instructions a dealership technician can perform to address the issue (my guess is it nothing more than a good clean, hinge screw torque check etc & WD 40 spray overload! - just to reduce the friction etc) - the 3rd step says “require bodyshop repair” -as Eden HW themselves dont have a bodyshop, he said I can check on Peugeot’s website for the info - which I did, and found a list at below link of Peugeot’s approved bodyshops in UK:

The next step as per Eden’s service manager is to contact any approved body on the list and show them Eden’s invoice with their assessment & TSB ref - he said the any approved bodyshops would already know about this Peugeot TSB & the repair methods and be able to repair as per Peugeot’s instructions - there was no discussion on how Peugeot UK will be involved and who will pay the bodyshop etc (my car is still under warranty so the cost of any repairs has to be picked up Peugeot UK ) - what I am thinking of doing now is to go & visit my nearest Peugeot approved bodyshop and discuss all this issue - they might know about this TSB - if not, I am thinking of forwarding Eden’s Invoice with TSB & recommendation to Peugeot UK directly ask them how they wish to resolve this issue for me.

The service manager in Eden did say however that yes there is a noise but this is nothing major or a safety issue etc - he also said If it was his car hd wont bother or get it ripped apart at the A pillar just to fix a stud weld for a mere noise etc! - as per him, such a repair out of factory can introduce new issues etc so if he was me he wont bother - I did say to him that the car is still under warranty- anything which is wrong can be fixed now under warranty- however few months down the line, if the issue aggravates and the car is out of warranty, it would be a big hassle to fix…
Lets see how I go from here - since discovering this issue (had car only for under 2 weeks) I am now more careful in opening and closing the door - I am trying my best to ignore but I am struggling! I am still confused what should be the best course of action…should I keep the car in factory condition?, or let a local bodyshop cut it all open at the A pillars…and perform welds and seal / respray..

Being first edition, with 225 bhp engine and adaptive dampers, LKA etc, its a great car and a dream to drive - feels like it floats in air its so smooth! - a great car and looks amazing as well (at least to my eyes) but issues such as this are really shameful in a European manufactured car….

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the update
Here is my story so far….

I booked my car at Eden Peugeot, High Wycombe -when I explained the problem, they asked me to wait - after an hour, the service manager took me back to the car and asked me to check If I can still hear the creaking noise while opening the door - the noise was there with no difference at all! - I could see WD 40 sprayed allover the hinge - he explained that there is a Peugeot TSB ref: C1AW013WQ0 for this issue- this TSB offers x3 step (he didn’t explain what are the first two however the first two are repair instructions a dealership technician can perform to address the issue (my guess is it nothing more than a good clean, hinge screw torque check etc & WD 40 spray overload! - just to reduce the friction etc) - the 3rd step says “require bodyshop repair” -as Eden HW themselves dont have a bodyshop, he said I can check on Peugeot’s website for the info - which I did, and found a list at below link of Peugeot’s approved bodyshops in UK:

The next step as per Eden’s service manager is to contact any approved body on the list and show them Eden’s invoice with their assessment & TSB ref - he said the any approved bodyshops would already know about this Peugeot TSB & the repair methods and be able to repair as per Peugeot’s instructions - there was no discussion on how Peugeot UK will be involved and who will pay the bodyshop etc (my car is still under warranty so the cost of any repairs has to be picked up Peugeot UK ) - what I am thinking of doing now is to go & visit my nearest Peugeot approved bodyshop and discuss all this issue - they might know about this TSB - if not, I am thinking of forwarding Eden’s Invoice with TSB & recommendation to Peugeot UK directly ask them how they wish to resolve this issue for me.

The service manager in Eden did say however that yes there is a noise but this is nothing major or a safety issue etc - he also said If it was his car hd wont bother or get it ripped apart at the A pillar just to fix a stud weld for a mere noise etc! - as per him, such a repair out of factory can introduce new issues etc so if he was me he wont bother - I did say to him that the car is still under warranty- anything which is wrong can be fixed now under warranty- however few months down the line, if the issue aggravates and the car is out of warranty, it would be a big hassle to fix…
Lets see how I go from here - since discovering this issue (had car only for under 2 weeks) I am now more careful in opening and closing the door - I am trying my best to ignore but I am struggling! I am still confused what should be the best course of action…should I keep the car in factory condition?, or let a local bodyshop cut it all open at the A pillars…and perform welds and seal / respray..

Being first edition, with 225 bhp engine and adaptive dampers, LKA etc, its a great car and a dream to drive - feels like it floats in air its so smooth! - a great car and looks amazing as well (at least to my eyes) but issues such as this are really shameful in a European manufactured car….
Is anyone able to upload a short video showing the creaking/bending A pillar symptoms? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
OK, I think I've worked it out. I've published a 20sec video of the problem as it affects my car. You might need to turn the sound up, and please note that the flexing on the A-pillar is difficult to see due to ambient light and paint colour. Oscar nominations gratefully accepted!

Creaking door video

·
Registered
332 Posts
OK, I think I've worked it out. I've published a 20sec video of the problem as it affects my car. You might need to turn the sound up, and please note that the flexing on the A-pillar is difficult to see due to ambient light and paint colour. Oscar nominations gratefully accepted!

Creaking door video
Thanks. Makes it more obvious what to look out for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I'm sorry to see that others have discovered this problem with their cars.

Just an update from my end. I apologise in advance for the long post, but members of the forum have been kind enough to ask for the detail as it might be useful to others. I hope that's the case.

My second attempt to engage Peugeot UK, the main dealer, and an approved body shop in providing me with a warranty repair seems to have borne fruit. I have just booked in for the repairs in June.

A few points that could be useful to others (all from a UK perspective):
  • My case was finally allocated to a competent, sensible grown-up who was focussed on resolving it and called back when promised etc. It took several tries to find him, so I assume Peugeot UK is a little short of talent.
  • He explained that, to progress a claim, it is necessary for the main dealer to act as an intermediary, since they use Peugeot's in-house software package. An independent, Peugeot-approved body shop will not have access to this - they're usually approved by several manufacturers and it's too expensive for them to acquire all the different software packages. Only Peugeot dealers with in-house body shops will have direct access to the software, and it's rare, nowadays, for dealers to keep a body shop in-house.
  • So, in my case, it was necessary for Peugeot UK to explain to my dealer its duty of care to a customer (me) in the event of a warranty claim. I'm told they can be slow to understand the benefit of offering to be a broker between an independent body shop and Peugeot UK when they perceive there's little or nothing in it for them. Those with warm, fuzzy feelings towards any car brand would do well to understand the purely transactional, commercial nature of their relationship with a dealer. Both customers and cars are simply a commodity to exploit for profit, No profit, no interest! Remember that whatever PR bol**x they produce for the website/sales team/customer relationship team etc.
  • In the end, my claim handler from Peugeot UK used his leverage with the main dealer and, in the immortal words of John Wayne (The Alamo since you ask) 'got medieval on their a*s'. This revealed the one person in the dealership who understood how the system worked and what was necessary to 'achieve a positive outcome for the customer'!
  • So, we find that the body shop will invoice the referring dealer which, in turn, will use the in-house software package to invoice Peugeot UK for the warranty repair costs, using the claim number as a reference throughout. There now, that didn't hurt a bit, did it?
  • Note that I have never seen the repair quote, or had any discussion with the body shop about the nature of the repair, cause of the problem etc. I am told they will collect my car, then return it a few days later repaired to approved standards. My role appears to be to hand over the key and the car. The rest is a confidential matter between the repairer and Peugeot UK, as the bill-payer.
I'll let you know how the repair goes, and whether, in the end, I am still the proud owner of a Peugeot who feels the car is worth what I paid for it. Hope springs eternal!
Thank you for your excellent description of the warranty process. I have been trying the process for the sill paint issue on my 2019 508. The dealer was not progressing it after receiving the body shop quotation and after contacting Peugeot UK myself, they sent it for approval and received approval. Now it is again stuck at the dealer not playing the middleman in arranging dates for the work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dear Forum members,

Any further updates on this issue from any forum members?

After no success at EDEN Peugeot, High Wycombe, I booked my car at Charters Peugeot in Aldershot - they assessed the car again and applied grease / lubrication on the check strap - clearly, that didnt make any difference! - they than said next step for them is to order a new check strap (under warranty), and see if that solves the issue!

Interestingly, Charters Peugeot in Aldershot didn't even mention the TSB ref C1AW013WQ0 although I did say that assessment from EDEN Peugeot was step 3 (body shop repair) as per C1AW013WQ0.

Lets see how it unfolds!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Dear Forum members,

Any further updates on this issue from any forum members?

After no success at EDEN Peugeot, High Wycombe, I booked my car at Charters Peugeot in Aldershot - they assessed the car again and applied grease / lubrication on the check strap - clearly, that didnt make any difference! - they than said next step for them is to order a new check strap (under warranty), and see if that solves the issue!

Interestingly, Charters Peugeot in Aldershot didn't even mention the TSB ref C1AW013WQ0 although I did say that assessment from EDEN Peugeot was step 3 (body shop repair) as per C1AW013WQ0.

Lets see how it unfolds!
Well, by coincidence I have an update, but it's not good news.

The car was taken into the body shop on Monday, to be returned tomorrow. As I've already said elsewhere, I haven't seen the TSB you're referring to or been privy to the quote submitted to Peugeot for my repair, but I assume it's the same.

This morning, I was contacted by a manager from the body shop. His view, and that of his team was that steps 1 and 2 of the repairs were highly likely to be ineffective (they described these interventions as "hitting the A pillar with a hammer and dolly in the hope something might improve"). His main concern lay in their carrying out step 3. The repair requires that holes be drilled in specific places through the skin of the A pillar, into the sub-frame beneath, which are then riveted and made good.

He tells me that the repair has not been successful, and the creaking problem remains the same as before. Further, he is concerned that, although the repair is as recommended and specified by Peugeot, it is not compliant with British Standards and would not be accepted by an insurer, for instance. This is because the repair involves drilling into the car's safety cage and applying heat to the carbon steel sub-frame, thus degrading it. It's a small risk, but it's a risk, nonetheless.

It's a pity they didn't discuss their concerns with me before carrying the procedure out! He advises me that the only way to fully restore to one hundred per cent the integrity of the safety cage is to replace the A-pillar, and it could take months to get the parts and weeks to do the job, assuming that's where we're going to end up (and I still won't know if the door will stop creaking until the process is complete!)

I've contacted Peugeot UK and advised them of the outcome. For their part, the body shop is contacting the main dealer to agree next steps. The assumption is there will now be an exchange of letters with all involved and, since a repair has been carried out and failed, Peugeot has had its one chance to sort it out. Unless something radical happens, a deadlock letter will be their response and the matter will be placed in the hands of the motor ombudsman.

I'll keep everyone posted at intervals, when I can, but I'm sure you'll understand that a running commentary is unlikely to be helpful to an ongoing legal process.

·
Registered
2019 508 GT FASTBACK
63 Posts
To be honest, as a mechanically minded person it sounds like a real bodge of a repair attempt. I don't think I could accept a rivet repair personally so not surprised if it were rejected by an insurance company going forwards

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, by coincidence I have an update, but it's not good news.

The car was taken into the body shop on Monday, to be returned tomorrow. As I've already said elsewhere, I haven't seen the TSB you're referring to or been privy to the quote submitted to Peugeot for my repair, but I assume it's the same.

This morning, I was contacted by a manager from the body shop. His view, and that of his team was that steps 1 and 2 of the repairs were highly likely to be ineffective (they described these interventions as "hitting the A pillar with a hammer and dolly in the hope something might improve"). His main concern lay in their carrying out step 3. The repair requires that holes be drilled in specific places through the skin of the A pillar, into the sub-frame beneath, which are then riveted and made good.

He tells me that the repair has not been successful, and the creaking problem remains the same as before. Further, he is concerned that, although the repair is as recommended and specified by Peugeot, it is not compliant with British Standards and would not be accepted by an insurer, for instance. This is because the repair involves drilling into the car's safety cage and applying heat to the carbon steel sub-frame, thus degrading it. It's a small risk, but it's a risk, nonetheless.

It's a pity they didn't discuss their concerns with me before carrying the procedure out! He advises me that the only way to fully restore to one hundred per cent the integrity of the safety cage is to replace the A-pillar, and it could take months to get the parts and weeks to do the job, assuming that's where we're going to end up (and I still won't know if the door will stop creaking until the process is complete!)

I've contacted Peugeot UK and advised them of the outcome. For their part, the body shop is contacting the main dealer to agree next steps. The assumption is there will now be an exchange of letters with all involved and, since a repair has been carried out and failed, Peugeot has had its one chance to sort it out. Unless something radical happens, a deadlock letter will be their response and the matter will be placed in the hands of the motor ombudsman.

I'll keep everyone posted at intervals, when I can, but I'm sure you'll understand that a running commentary is unlikely to be helpful to an ongoing legal process.
Sorry to hear about your situation and the on-going saga that awaits. Definitely not a good advert for Peugeot overall and has me thinking about how valid their TSB and ultimate repair process is for this fault? As you say, it is unlikely the car would be repaired to a high enough standard for insurers to be satisfied anyway.

Hopefully in your case they'll come to a quick decision to either refund your purchase price or provide another equivalent car (assuming you'd even want another Peugeot)?

Best of luck.......

21 - 40 of 61 Posts