Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a heads up - this was news to me, so might be useful to someone else.

I took the 508 SW to the dealer yesterday to have the front O/S position sensor replaced under warranty. All sorted now.

While I was there, I asked them to look at the slight creaking noise when fully opening the driver's door. I assumed the cure would be lubrication on the hinge, or similar. Not so! When I collected the car, I was advised to book it into a Peugeot approved body shop for a warranty repair - "insufficient spot welds on the A-pillar leading to flexing, hence the noise". I'm assured it's a quality, rather than a safety issue, so no general recall is in place. It has now been corrected in production.

Apparently, there is a Technical Service Bulletin for the issue where it arises on certain blocks of chassis numbers. I'm not authorised to see the bulletin, so I have no idea if it just relates to the 508.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi all,

Just a heads up - this was news to me, so might be useful to someone else.

I took the 508 SW to the dealer yesterday to have the front O/S position sensor replaced under warranty. All sorted now.

While I was there, I asked them to look at the slight creaking noise when fully opening the driver's door. I assumed the cure would be lubrication on the hinge, or similar. Not so! When I collected the car, I was advised to book it into a Peugeot approved body shop for a warranty repair - "insufficient spot welds on the A-pillar leading to flexing, hence the noise". I'm assured it's a quality, rather than a safety issue, so no general recall is in place. It has now been corrected in production.

Apparently, there is a Technical Service Bulletin for the issue where it arises on certain blocks of chassis numbers. I'm not authorised to see the bulletin, so I have no idea if it just relates to the 508.
Thanks for the heads up. Will try to keep this in mind if my doors start creaking. Just a thought, since the TSBs are "top secret" maybe there could be a forum section where "discovered" TSBs are made public to forum users?

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
The TSB should be on Service Box but it would be chargeable to view them.

TSB are really not meant for product owners to view, there for the manufacturers repair technicians & dealer networks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The TSB should be on Service Box but it would be chargeable to view them.

TSB are really not meant for product owners to view, there for the manufacturers repair technicians & dealer networks.
Don't have access to the Service Box unfortunately and since the TSB mentioned here is a quality issue there wouldn't be any recall hence I wouldn't know it existed. My point is that it would be good to know when there are non safety related issues that could be covered under warranty. Otherwise I might not think to contact the dealer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have not noticed anything in regards to creaking noise but squeaky windows after rainfall. It's gone by itself as I didn't do anything to cure it .I think this is as close as it gets to your issues related to door noises .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This post is just by way of an update.

This morning, I visited the Peugeot approved body shop. They had no quibble with the flexing of the panel on the A-pillar, which they were able to show me. Their only comment was related to the ease and cost of repair, which they likened to putting right an O/S shunt on the wing and door. They are drafting a detailed estimate to send to the dealer, which will pass it on to Peugeot. The estimator laughingly told me to expect a call from the dealer or Peugeot offering me a replacement vehicle since that was likely cheaper for them than the warranty repair! He told me he was only half-joking.

I must admit he took me aback when he said that if the car was on a lease (it isn't), it could be less hassle to run it for a couple of years and then hand it on to become someone else's problem. He confirmed that the issue would worsen over time if left unrepaired. His concern (and mine) is that a repair to factory standards would present a challenge.

I admit I feel some trepidation at undertaking such major surgery on a 6-month old car, but I own it outright, and a warranty claim is my only way forward, so it's up to Peugeot how they want to deal with it.

I await developments with interest! Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like " due to a cock up at the factory " type of TSB on a certain batch of cars.

Peugeot are likely crossing fingers owners don't notice / realise or ask about it.

At least the roof panels are now being welded on correctly :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
329 Posts
This post is just by way of an update.

This morning, I visited the Peugeot approved body shop. They had no quibble with the flexing of the panel on the A-pillar, which they were able to show me. Their only comment was related to the ease and cost of repair, which they likened to putting right an O/S shunt on the wing and door. They are drafting a detailed estimate to send to the dealer, which will pass it on to Peugeot. The estimator laughingly told me to expect a call from the dealer or Peugeot offering me a replacement vehicle since that was likely cheaper for them than the warranty repair! He told me he was only half-joking.

I must admit he took me aback when he said that if the car was on a lease (it isn't), it could be less hassle to run it for a couple of years and then hand it on to become someone else's problem. He confirmed that the issue would worsen over time if left unrepaired. His concern (and mine) is that a repair to factory standards would present a challenge.

I admit I feel some trepidation at undertaking such major surgery on a 6-month old car, but I own it outright, and a warranty claim is my only way forward, so it's up to Peugeot how they want to deal with it.

I await developments with interest! Thanks for reading.
Sorry to hear how serious the problem appears to be with your car. Can you clarify how we could check our own cars for similar symptoms as yours? Does the A pillar flex under mild force, for example?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to hear how serious the problem appears to be with your car. Can you clarify how we could check our own cars for similar symptoms as yours? Does the A pillar flex under mild force, for example?
In my case, the problem is with the front driver's door (RHD). None of the others is affected. Opening the door fully against the check strap reveals a visible but minor flexing of the A-pillar where the check strap is attached. There is a groaning/creaking sound as the door opens/closes, caused by rubbing the A-pillar skin (the visible, painted bit) against the sub-frame at the flex point. I initially thought a lack of lubrication caused the noise, but now I know better!

·
Registered
329 Posts
In my case, the problem is with the front driver's door (RHD). None of the others is affected. Opening the door fully against the check strap reveals a visible but minor flexing of the A-pillar where the check strap is attached. There is a groaning/creaking sound as the door opens/closes, caused by rubbing the A-pillar skin (the visible, painted bit) against the sub-frame at the flex point. I initially thought a lack of lubrication caused the noise, but now I know better!
Thanks for describing the symptoms. Did the Peugeot dealer say if the problem only affected cars of a certain production date or if it related to the fastback or SW version? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for describing the symptoms. Did the Peugeot dealer say if the problem only affected cars of a certain production date or if it related to the fastback or SW version? Thanks.
The staff I spoke with at the dealership were quite vague. I think they see it as Peugeot's problem rather than theirs, although they were helpful enough and, in fairness, it was their service team that identified the issue and the related TSB. As I said before, they wouldn't let me see the TSB but explained that it related to certain blocks of VINs. They declined to confirm whether it was a known problem with models other than my 508 SW, but I'd guess it would also affect the 508 saloon. Sorry, I can't be more helpful than that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The staff I spoke with at the dealership were quite vague. I think they see it as Peugeot's problem rather than theirs, although they were helpful enough and, in fairness, it was their service team that identified the issue and the related TSB. As I said before, they wouldn't let me see the TSB but explained that it related to certain blocks of VINs. They declined to confirm whether it was a known problem with models other than my 508 SW, but I'd guess it would also affect the 508 saloon. Sorry, I can't be more helpful than that.
No problem. Your information is much appreciated and I'm sure other forum users will be grateful too. (y) (y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought some might be interested in a progress report.

I've just been contacted by Peugeot UK. It seems the whole warranty claim process must start again from scratch with a different body shop. It seems the repairer to whom I was referred by my dealer is not the one to whom they actually meant to refer me! Apparently, Peugeot UK has been told it was all my mistake (according to the dealer), despite them writing the name and contact number of the body shop on my repair invoice! Now I must start again by obtaining another quote etc. Let's put it down to a misunderstanding about which body shop has an "arrangement" with the dealer.

Peugeot UK gets 5/10, given that this has dragged on for weeks with no progress and the usual hassles when trying to contact the claim handler (I've had three, so far). Kudos to the latest individual for drilling down to get to the bottom of this and authorising a fresh claim. Hopefully, progress will be made now that Peugeot UK and the main dealer have agreed on a way forward.

Oh, by the way, the creaking door is slowly getting worse.

Happy days! :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought some might be interested in a progress report.

I've just been contacted by Peugeot UK. It seems the whole warranty claim process must start again from scratch with a different body shop. It seems the repairer to whom I was referred by my dealer is not the one to whom they actually meant to refer me! Apparently, Peugeot UK has been told it was all my mistake (according to the dealer), despite them writing the name and contact number of the body shop on my repair invoice! Now I must start again by obtaining another quote etc. Let's put it down to a misunderstanding about which body shop has an "arrangement" with the dealer.

Peugeot UK gets 5/10, given that this has dragged on for weeks with no progress and the usual hassles when trying to contact the claim handler (I've had three, so far). Kudos to the latest individual for drilling down to get to the bottom of this and authorising a fresh claim. Hopefully, progress will be made now that Peugeot UK and the main dealer have agreed on a way forward.

Oh, by the way, the creaking door is slowly getting worse.

Happy days! :)
Sorry to hear of your on-going saga and hope you get things resolved asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm interested to hear how this gets resolved as I have had the exact thing occur to me this week. Our 508 SW (purchased in Jan 2022) was creaking on the front driver's side - we thought that it was strut / suspension related and we brought this to the dealer's attention at its first 2,500km service. It turns out that the A-Pillar has spot-weld failures inside the pillar. We are now waiting to hear back from Peugeot Australia and we are currently without a car. It's pretty upsetting. This is the first time that we have purchased a "luxury" vehicle. We've always been a Mitsubishi family, but it now appears that we have purchased a lemon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm interested to hear how this gets resolved as I have had the exact thing occur to me this week. Our 508 SW (purchased in Jan 2022) was creaking on the front driver's side - we thought that it was strut/suspension related and we brought this to the dealer's attention at its first 2,500km service. It turns out that the A-Pillar has spot-weld failures inside the pillar. We are now waiting to hear back from Peugeot Australia and we are currently without a car. It's pretty upsetting. This is the first time that we have purchased a "luxury" vehicle. We've always been a Mitsubishi family, but it now appears that we have purchased a lemon.
Hello Chrissy, sorry to hear you have the same problem as me. I'll keep posting as this develops so you can see what happens with Peugeot UK. Hopefully, it will be relevant to you in Australia - are the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) a worldwide thing? Are all RHD 508s made on the same production line? I'm a little surprised you are without the car. Mine remains driveable and I'll only lose it during the repair process. I hope to visit the body shop next week armed with my new Peugeot UK claim number and set the repairs in motion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Chrissy, sorry to hear you have the same problem as me. I'll keep posting as this develops so you can see what happens with Peugeot UK. Hopefully, it will be relevant to you in Australia - are the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) a worldwide thing? Are all RHD 508s made on the same production line? I'm a little surprised you are without the car. Mine remains driveable and I'll only lose it during the repair process. I hope to visit the body shop next week armed with my new Peugeot UK claim number and set the repairs in motion.
Hi there,
I have no car as it was at the Dealer's place on Wed & Thurs. When I rang on Thursday afternoon they said that they had reached out to Peugeot Australia and were waiting for a response. The guy didn't know if it was safe or not to drive, so I didn't even question going to pick it up. Friday was Good Friday, so closed. Now Easter and businesses are closed here until Tuesday. Hopefully, I will find out more then. I didn't know about TSB that you mentioned above, so I Googled it - nothing is listed as far as I can tell about the 508 issue.
If we have a similar manufacturing issue, then I imagine that both of our cars came out of the same factory.
Cheers and best wishes!

·
Registered
2019 Twilight Blue 508 First Edition 225 Fastback
101 Posts
Hi all, I think I may have the same issue. I don’t often open my driver’s door fully but when I do I’m now noticing a faint creak that isn’t present when opening the front passenger door. It’s probably been doing it for ages but this thread has made me take notice. Thanks @Larchdale for highlighting it, sounds like you’ve had a bit of a challenging time but good to hear that Peugeot UK have been supportive after the initial misunderstanding. How is your claim going?
@ChrissyC Sorry to hear you about the experience you’ve had too. Have you had any progress yet?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts