Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I am in need of some advise if possible :)

I am looking at buying a 307cc with 70.000 Miles and in very good condition

But the seller has told me there is a misfire issue at low revs?

Not too cleaver with engines, but thought possibly coil pack? ECU?

I really just need to know if this could end up costing a small fortune to fix :/

I have looked on-line and coil pack is £40 and ECU around £100 so I can live with that kind of costs

But I don't have a large budget (car is £600) so I can't afford to spend loads fixing this issue?

Thanks for your time, and response :)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Find a member who lives close to you and ask if they are willing to go with you to look at the car and run a diagnostic to get a better idea of what is wrong with it. Could be something or nothing.

You can find all the necessary info from reading the following threads....

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/off-topic-3/need-20-posts-before-pm-72601/#post459593

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys :)

I actually have One of those Bluetooth ODB2 plugs here which works off my smart phone, would that give me the info needed you think?

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
Doubt it will give accurate info missfires are common can be coilpack can sometimes be a bad injector can simply be air being drawn in somewhere ecu can be damaged by the coilpack being faulty on this engine but this usually results in a non runner it just fires up idles badly and wont rev

You cant JUST change the ecu it would need to be a complete set ecu bsi and key and if replacement comes from higher mileage car the cars dash would display the higher miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just spoke to the seller again

He said they ran a diagnostic already, and it came
back with bad injectors, so they changed them and the code went

But it still has the odd mis-fire, but runs and drives no probs once it's going?

I wonder if its a dirty EGR Valve, or MAF Sensor issue?

All very confusing

·
2,465 Posts
hi...time to walk away...if they have tried to repair it and failed it was too dear for them to continue...or it would be sold as a good runner....etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi...time to walk away...if they have tried to repair it and failed it was too dear for them to continue...or it would be sold as a good runner....etc
Yes I think your right there mate

If they tried already by getting it tested, chances are it's expensive so they wanna sell it lol

Shame as it is only £600 and 70.000 Miles, but if it's another £600 to fix, then i'm screwed haha

Cheers guys :)

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
The low mileage could actually be the REASON for the poor running this engine is not the smoothest of engines anyway but it needs good long runs my cousin has had 1 from new it never really idled that well and had a flat spot like you are describing if they used it locally a lot it would get progressively worse till it needed a tow to start it but on long runs it got better !

Recently the coil shorted out and killed the ecu i bought a spare car for parts and it ran perfectly so we swapped the engine complete AND the ecu it now runs better than it ever has and is better on fuel !

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The low mileage could actually be the REASON for the poor running this engine is not the smoothest of engines anyway but it needs good long runs my cousin has had 1 from new it never really idled that well and had a flat spot like you are describing if they used it locally a lot it would get progressively worse till it needed a tow to start it but on long runs it got better !

Recently the coil shorted out and killed the ecu i bought a spare car for parts and it ran perfectly so we swapped the engine complete AND the ecu it now runs better than it ever has and is better on fuel !
Perhaps an Italian tune up would work wonders....:)

Roger.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Perhaps an Italian tune up would work wonders....:)

Roger.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would really get a pp2000 diagnostic done before parting with cash. It will only take 10mins to run one and could save you a fortune it could also highlight other issues or faults the garage have tried to remove/ cover up.

Got mine of fleabay for under £100 and tested 5 cc's before parting with cash.
Best investment for years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts