Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have written a post about my experiences since breaking down due to 'low oil pressure', where the AA took my vehicle to a halfords autocentre and they have spent the last 5 days trying to diagnose the problem. The guy on the phone today said that it is not the oil pump that is the issue, but that the its the FAP unit, that it needs topping up and it will cost 216 pounds to change, and hes saying thats the cause for all the other problems with the car (oil pressure issues)

my question is, why would the car tell me low oil pressure is the issue if the fap unit is bollocksed (although the FAP unit warning has been coming up for last few months- i have been putting off doing it)...

secondly, how much would it normally cost for a mechanic to replace the fap fluid....

thanks

and also, the aa who were mean to cover the first 475 pounds of repairs, wont actually pay for this because its not considered breakdown repair cover....

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Did you tell us your FAP filter warning came up at the start? if your filter blocked then this is going to affect engine and pressure , get rid of the filter completely .

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would like to get rid of the FAP unit completely but wont this be a problem when it comes to getting MOT done and they do the emissions check??

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it doesn't affect emissions then whats the point of the FAP filter....? im so confused.

i was told by a mechanic that i would have problems at MOT if i removed the filter......i could just do with some solid reassurance before i go ahead with it....

besides, halfords as we speak are replacing the elosys fluid and charging me 215 for the pleasure....so i might as well enjoy that now...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm confused as well. :confused:

The FAP is a filter to trap the larger particles of soot - which are duly reduced to ash when the FAP regenerates- so if you don't have it surely that means Mr. MOT is not a happy bunny? :mad:

I fort the FAP nonsense was there to meet strict European emission regulations?

I'm quite happy pumping out a load of cack in my non FAP 307 :eek:

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Cat = emissions

Fap = Particles

A diesel particulate filter, sometimes called a DPF, is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the cat and fap systems aren't connected in anyway? im still waiting on someone who has already done it on a 307, sounds like only people who have done it is 407s and other models...

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Both my 307`s didn`t even have Cat`s but then we have no test here for them.:nod:

ps i had a 307 in the yard tonight that has just had the DPF off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
so does my 307 have CAT's ??? its a 1.6 hdi se, 110bhp....55' plate...YES

i take it DPF means FAP??YES

still confused by all the different terms sorry!! is there any explanation on CAT vs FAP vs DPF....thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so basically if i remove my FAP/DPF from my car i will start to see visible smoke coming from the exhaust whereas before it would be invisible due to the filter...

and when it comes to getting my MOT in september i wont have any probs at all....??

thanks your patience explaining it to me...

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
The smoke will not be that noticeable unless you are driving at 70 in fifth and drop to fourth to overtake ,
ask "Scotscruz" about MOT , he removes FAP`s and the MOT is the same in both parts of your country.(but as far as i am aware as long as you keep your CAT you`re fine)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just heard back from halfords and after two weeks of leaving the car with them they say they've come to the end of a tether with it and they are sending it to the dealers...

he thinks the FAP unit needs changing, i think I am going to clean it my self, could anyone direct me to the page with the instructions for doing this and how easy/hard is it on a scale of 1-10

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright guys,

I went to halfords today to try and pick my car up, basically they've been ****ing around with it and not telling me the full story, speaking to different people i found out that initially they thought it was the fuel pump so they changed that, took it for a drive, it broke down while this happend, they brought it back and changed the fuel filter....(I think they messed up here because they didnt want to admit to doing this work.....or charge me for it...)...apparantly the car is now leaking diesel as well- as a result of them taking it for the test drive and it breaking down no doubt.....he said it was back pressure as a result of the FAP unit being in a mess..

anyway, we got onto the DPF/CAT unit and he's basically saying that it's one whole unit, that the dpf doesn't seperate into two parts (like most ones do), so apparantly it would be impossible to drill a whole through]the filter as is described in the removing dpf thread....

so im now at a stage of not knowing what to do AND my car is leaking diesel....so annoyed...

i did find a piece of paper in the car with these codes however...

P0402- exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive
p0088 fuel rail/ system pressure too high
p1166 manufacturer specific
p1351 manufacturer specific
p1490 max number of aborted regenerations...

that's obviously not from a proper peugeot diagnostic tool so i dont know how useful those codes are,

would be interesting to hear what you think,

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
From google search:

P1166: Measured rail pressure higher than the maximum pressure. (similar to the P0088).
P1351: Glow relay circuit - relay not controlled/no glow supply.

P1351 may explain the aborted regens (P1490), which would explain depollution system fault.

Were you able to collect the car from Halfords or do they still have it?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they still have the car but i can tow it to a friends nearby to work on it if i want....

im not sure what to do because i either i can replace the current dpf unit for 300 pounds (new part).....or try and saw open my current one, drill through the dpf and weld it shut....and then put it back in with the galletto trickery it might work..

thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not convinced that your dpf & cat is 1 sealed unit. Just cos Halfords tell you it is doesn't make it so. I'm not claiming to be an expert, just given the model/year of you car I'd be surprised if it was different to the majority.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts