Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I currently own a 2004 307 1.4i 16v with an LPG system and I am pretty happy with the car. It has it's occasional problems, which is normal for a 12 year old car. My only gripe with it is the power - 88hp, especially with an LPG is way, way too low.

I was looking at various cars, ranging from Hondas to Lexi and e90s, but now I think the 308 1.6THP from 2007-2009 would be the perfect option for me. I do have a couple of questions though:
1. How much more expensive would be to maintain the car, compared to my 307? Gas shouldn't be an issue, I can live without the LPG system (which is an obscene price for a direct injection system like the one in the 308)
2. I got a list of known issues from one of the threads here: timing chains, high pressure fuel pump, turbo oil feed leaking, carbon build up on the intake valves and to some extent the electronic systems/sensors.

How much would these cost to fix?
3. From what I understand the turbo likes to go out after about 100K km? How much does it cost to replace it?
4. At some point I assume 150hp will seem not enough, is it a good investment to chip that engine?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Hi guys! I currently own a 2004 307 1.4i 16v with an LPG system and I am pretty happy with the car. It has it's occasional problems, which is normal for a 12 year old car. My only gripe with it is the power - 88hp, especially with an LPG is way, way too low.

I was looking at various cars, ranging from Hondas to Lexi and e90s, but now I think the 308 1.6THP from 2007-2009 would be the perfect option for me. I do have a couple of questions though:
1. How much more expensive would be to maintain the car, compared to my 307? Gas shouldn't be an issue, I can live without the LPG system (which is an obscene price for a direct injection system like the one in the 308)
2. I got a list of known issues from one of the threads here: timing chains, high pressure fuel pump, turbo oil feed leaking, carbon build up on the intake valves and to some extent the electronic systems/sensors.

How much would these cost to fix?
3. From what I understand the turbo likes to go out after about 100K km? How much does it cost to replace it?
4. At some point I assume 150hp will seem not enough, is it a good investment to chip that engine?

Thanks in advance!
what amount of miles do you do, how often do you use the car, short trips long trips, motorway none motorway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what amount of miles do you do, how often do you use the car, short trips long trips, motorway none motorway.
Right now - 2x7.5km city driving per weekday, at a time where there is absolutely no traffic (if I don't forget I will reset my trip computer to get the average speed, but it should be around 60kmph if we count stoplights). I do a 2-300km (+getting back, so 2x) trip about every three months.

I do like high RPMs, mostly because I need them in my current car, which I've heard is good for a turbo?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Sounds like you may be better getting a petrol model especially if you want more BHP as the diesel would have a DPF which doesn't play well with mainly short distance journeys and requires regular long runs at higher revs to clean it out.

I have a 1.6l 92 bhp diesel which does well on fuel consumption. I would imagine that the difference between a 1.6 308 would compare favourably whith the 1.4 307 as the smaller engine would be working harder to move a similarly sized car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, as the title says I am looking at the 1.6THP petrol engine (150hp). I just calculated my average speed when going to work - 43km/h for 7.5km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts