Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to find the recommended oil for my car is like going through a maze. Car is a 308 1.6 hdi 90, 2009. Was told by local supplier it was Castrol magnatec 5/30 synthetic. Since putting it in the engine has developed a rattle when cold from cam area. Could it be the wrong oil or just coincidence? What oil does Peugeot recommend? If I need to change the oil is it worth while putting a decent engine flush through first? Should take the old oil back and make him drink it?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
your car doesn't have a particulate filter so a low ash oil is not needed.
im not sure on the spec needed.

it is 5w30 fully synthetic though

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil change

Thanks for that Pugpete, 5/30 is the right viscosity so I've been told but what does C2 mean?

·
Registered
481 Posts
It denotes that its a low saps oil:

These lubricants contain low levels of sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur. This technology optimizes the operation of the depolluting systems fitted to the most recent engines.

The SAPS contained in traditional lubricants can have a harmful effect on the post treatment systems that eliminate pollutant emissions. Particulate filters (DPF) are particulary sensitive to SAPS.

It's pretty much their brand name. The petrol variant is 'R1.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil

Thanks again Pugpete, learning all the time. I used to work in a garage 40 years ago. In those days we used to stick Duckhams 20/50 in every engine. How technology changes over the years. Bring back the Ford Anglia De-luxe and if you fancy something sporty the Triumph Vitesse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts