Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adoo all, me again. I swear im gonna get everything working on this car if it kills me. Ive fixed the dual zone heater fault so how hard can this be.

Basically my peugeot handbook for a 2006 407sw 2.0 HDI states for fuse no'12 that protects the auto wiper/lights, hands free, alarm and tow pack (i dont have a tow bar fitted nor electrics/fastener marks underneath to say it ever did) its fitted with a 30A green fuse. To my knowledge the car has always had a 15A blue fuse which blows when the BSI kicks in. Now with 30A it does hold but gets quite hot but doesnt blow and all the stuff it protects does actually work so i doubt theres a fault with them, just a bit stuck now as to which rating to use.

Any advice would greatfully be apprecited. The BSI unit in this car is the "johnson" sort with the furthest left as you look at it has a cross shaped arrangement of 15a fuses wether that makes any difference i dunno but thought id mention it all the same.

Thanks again all. And thankyou for the guidance and warm welcome so far i really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
1,807 Posts
Moved.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The correct section :)

The fuse should not be blowing with the 15 amp fuse in that is plenty big enough for the loads mentioned and if a ANY fuse is getting hot you have a problem you need to investigate what is blowing the fuse not fit a bigger one !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah bugger my apologies i couldnt see the sub sections per vehicle type on my phone. Its since updated and all content is now visible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did monitor the temperature of the fuse whilst finding out what worked and what didnt. Unfortunatley in this case everything did, thats what i couldnt understand. The car is currently sitting round my folks as im going through all the fuses and plug/socket connections cleaning them as i go. Bit unwary of everything working again just because i unplugged everything at the engine bay fuse box and plugged it back in, it werent like any of the connections were covered in corrosion or general crap. As soon as ive gone through it though i shall disconnect the associated components relative to that circuit and power the car up adding them 1 by 1 to see what makes it pop...hopefully.

Thanks for letting me know the correct amperage, i assume the peugeot handbook is a one size fits all affair due to there being a 30A on the diagram, no wonder they get a bad rep for the electrical side of things if they cant colour in a fuseboard layout to the vehicles equipment its meant for lol...i love peugeot i really do this will be my 3rd (technically 4th as i looked after my folks 405 estate years ago) but the electrics really need working on, and the electric window drive cables on a 407...damn theyre a tight fit lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to keep asking for guidance, but I am really stuck. Im used to cars that are still carbureted and have IVR cable for a loom that's bound together with felt tape :p

Righty some progress has been made. The BSI has died again even after cleaning all the fuses and plugs and reseating. Im suspecting this fuse has spiked it and destroyed the programming but before I think about getting it recoded or look into repairing that, ive gotta find this short that's popping fuse 12. The progress I have found is that if I unplug the grey plug from the BSI and do a continuity test from fuse 12's socket the short disappears, would anyone know of a pin layout regarding this plug to tell me if the corresponding cables are supposed to be +12v or earthed ? as colour coding goes...

This is where I get lost, literally as their are only 4 colours I can see in the entire loom grey,pink,cream and yellow (and the odd household domestic colour coded yellow/green which are earths, I did laugh when I saw that...who the hell made this loom) So I cant go by colour...well I could but I really don't want to, I have noticed that each cable has a tracer code of some sort on it ? is there a decoder on here or something I can use to identify where the cable goes to give me half a chance to find the short.

I'm hoping that by curing the short, yeah i'll get my auto headlamp/wipers and handsfree working again but at the same time provide a stable 12V to the BSI and optimistically hoping that after doing the fix then doing a BSI reset may bring it back to life as this short im thinking maybe dragging the current down and just making a mess of what the BSI requires to work.

Thankyou all so far for the advice given (including where to put my posts...sorry about that). Any advice good or bad would be appreciated as ive spoke to gibbo on messenger also, the 407 looks like a very unconventional rally car with a carpet at the mo :noidea:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Have you plugged the car onto Peugeot Planet, see what fault codes there are? That might indicate the problem.

No car uses standard wire colours any more. There's just too many wires and not enough colours. It's done on a pin out basis - if you look at the plug, there'll be a number or numbers to indicate which pin it is and somewhere on a wire you might find something that looks like ** 1 ** which indicates the wire is for pin 1.

The other thing you can do is use servicebox to review if there are any TSB's related to your problem but this is a chargeable service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts