Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gained access to the cooling fan and its corresponding electrics today(nice day at last here in Stoke today) to investigate a fault code found whilst trying to find the cause of my limp mode. I managed to trace the circuit to establish which relay was which and checked all the connectors for signs of corrosion or distress. The main power circuit cables are fine as is the fan itself which ran powered off a 12volt battery feed. The connector for the five relay control wires (its a 6 pin connector ) had a little bit of white powder on the pins which cleaned up nice. The resistor looked brand new as did the connector block. Now this resistor assembly consists of a big coil to which it is attached to two of the three pins of the resistor block. Within this coil there is a small resistor that is across one end of the coil and the other pin. The female connector though has only got two receptacles with connections for the three male pins. Now when I have checked the resistance of the coil and the resistor no matter which pins I use the only reading I get is 1 ohm. So the two pins that connect to the plug give 1 ohm. The two pins that the resistor is across gives 1 ohm and the remaining 2 pins gives 1 ohm. Does that sound right and would that be enough to give the fan the low speed as opposed to the full speed when the resistor assembly is not in circuit. By the way the upper relay is the low speed control and the lower one is the full speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi , had a similar prob on mine . fault code was p0485 which is a open circuit on the fan. Pulled out the control unit which is a large single unit in blue. On the rear as you described with the protective cage are a single large coil and with in that a single smaller resistor. On mine the one contact on the smaller resistor had corroded and broke.
Quick clean up and a dab of solder sorted that. re- installed and checked on pp2000. Run a module test and both fan speeds worked and removed fault code and been ok since.
Not sure if my solder would hold up so ordered a new control unit and fitted the weekend. Only £12 from ebay.
Not sure if this helps but it cured my erratic temp gauge problem

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That unit is a resistor which allows the fan to run at low speed. It is not in circuit when the high speed fan temp is reached. Mine looks brand new. I wonder if you could measure the resistance of the unit from pin to pin of the old unit for me and let me know the measurement in ohms.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks. Next job is to bench check the relays as the generic code I have got p0481 which states that the check engine lamp comes on if the fault in the fan speed control circuit is sensed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi ya, reading across pins on the large coil pins was 1.122 ohms and 1 ohm across the smaller resistor. Just to confirm they are the same on my old unit as well. Have you got pp2000

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that. That's good as mine was 1 ohm but I was using a analogue AVO meter. I am going to physically check the operation of each of the relays on the bench next
No I have not got that system. Too expensive, too fiddly and then there is the chance of not getting it to work or its not the latest edition etc, etc, I am slowly going through all the systems that have a sensor or whatever might cause the limp mode to set. Funnily enough first start of the day the antipollution message comes up but it will rev up to 4800-4900, which I am told is the max for this engine, but it cuts back to 3000 and cycles and then after 2 mins or so it goes into limp! Good job I don't rely on the car for transport. It was bought as the spare car for when I have to work on the kids cars. So it was bought for not much and actually around town you would not realise it was in limp unless you rev too high on the lower gear changes when it peaks at 2900.The joys of digital cars and Peugeots especially. The dealers wont help if they think you are not going to buy from them. Lord help us if they buy out Euro GM!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi ,

Yes good idea to go through sensors and systems. The pp2000 would probably pinpoint the area immediately. I bought mine as i got my car, paid for itself first time round (faulty fan controller). Dealers wanted a day to diagnose (£125) then the cost of parts. My pp cost half this and has been invaluable in finding whats going on and where. Was able to manually test the control unit while in situ on the car and read off the fault code.
Be more than happy to pop up in future if you need help , only by Cannock so not a million miles away.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very kind offer which I would love to take up. I have had the system read twice by my local garage with their Snap on industrial model and the diesel experts with their Lucas machine but both were limited to what they could glean as the engine is in limp. Plus with the Peugeot system being deliberately different/awkward the messages might have different meanings! If you go through my different posts you will see what I mean. Whenever it suits you as I am retired and can be available to suit you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
yep no probs, I'm no expert but at least it will give more info that you can narrow down your investigations and even give fault codes which other members may have had and resolved. Wish it would resolve my roof issue lol.

Be better for me to nip up towards end o month as work and family make sure i'm full on at the mo if that's ok. What model have you got

1 - 12 of 12 Posts