Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I know next to nothing about cars, so please be gentle with me.

The last two/three weeks my little petrol 2006 1.6 L 307 has started losing coolant. Some days I can be driving for a while and the next morning everything looks fine in terms of the coolant level, but some days it can drain the whole coolant tank after a 20 minute ride.

I've finally found where it's leaking from - on the underside of the engine towards the front (the red drops in the photo below).

How bad is this? Is it easily/not overly expensive to have fixed? I don't know if this is related or yet another problem I'll need to get sorted, but when I'm accelerating, when I get to about 3000 RPM the engine seems to have a drop in power, and then picks back up after a second or so - any ideas for this?

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, my 307sw 2.0 petrol developed a leak immediately after going in for a cambelt and water pump replacement, turns out the techs had placed a metal water pump facing on the existing plastic housing (they go together like a little clamshell) and I suspect the stress from a heavier metal pump on the older plastic casing causing a tiny little fracture. They disassembled the pump, finding the tiny crack, which was almost un-noticeable to my eye and said that while driving there is some pretty serious pressure in the area that was squeezing coolant through... they ended up replacing the housing with a matching metal one, and tried to get me to pay for the part (obviously I refused) however overall parts costs of the pump assembly were about $270 nzd, excl. labour :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, my 307sw 2.0 petrol developed a leak immediately after going in for a cambelt and water pump replacement, turns out the techs had placed a metal water pump facing on the existing plastic housing (they go together like a little clamshell) and I suspect the stress from a heavier metal pump on the older plastic casing causing a tiny little fracture. They disassembled the pump, finding the tiny crack, which was almost un-noticeable to my eye and said that while driving there is some pretty serious pressure in the area that was squeezing coolant through... they ended up replacing the housing with a matching metal one, and tried to get me to pay for the part (obviously I refused) however overall parts costs of the pump assembly were about $270 nzd, excl. labour :)
Apparently they said the most common area for a coolant leak is there, simply due to the plastic ageing and the fact that the design is generally a plastic pump bolted to a hot, metal, vibrating engine block.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
That is where the coolant has travelled to but the actual leak will be on top. Look at the radiator and the pipes that are connected to the rad and the engine as a first step. If you think doing something like this is beyond you then best to ask your friends or acquaintances if they know any suitable self employed run garage that will be honest and not rob you to have a look and see what they say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both. Took it to the garage today and it was the thermostat housing that was causing the leak - all fixed/replaced now, but my wallet certainly is feeling it! £146 with labour

1 - 5 of 5 Posts