Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 208 1.4 Allure 5door Petrol, 72,000 miles

I have a coolant expansion tank leak around the hose connector area.

This resullts in the expansion tank draining empty every few days, which I believe is causing temperature issues (even though the temperature gauge reads normal). I have to top this up with around 1 litre of water each time.

At the last service Peugeot said I need a new tank and hose assembly but I am wondering if I could at best clean this up and try and make the connector fit better, or at worst just change the expansion tank?

Here's some images

I am assuming the leak is just the hose connector. It is a bit loose - not pull out loose - but there is play left and right.

Attempt some kind of repair, install a new tank, or install the complete tank with hoses?

·
Registered
910 Posts
looks the same as the 207 tank? we had a leak there as the pipe got loose on the tank, i added a rubber washer into the pipe end and this sorted it, think pipe is held in with a circlip, be carefull not to loose it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took this in to Peugeot main dealer in the end. It was £160 for the bottle and the hose, fitted. I could have done the bottle myself but the hose looked heck of a job.

But I am still losing coolant. Every few days the bottle will be empty, and it takes like 2 pints of water to reach the max line.

1. There is no visible leak
If there was a leak in a pipe or the radiator then surely I would see this dripping out but there is nothing when stationary overnight

2. There is no mayonaising of the oil filler cap
This looks fine to me so that should rule out head gasket

3. Possible related to grinding water pump
I have had an issue with a random grinding noise. This is like a wheel bearing noise but I guess it could be the water pump bearings. But surely that would definitely produce visible leak, and the garage would have initially checked for that?

Maybe this is a pressue thing? The leak only happens when pressure builds up and then vents a whole load of coolant. With the old bottle / hose the connection was the release point. But with the new bottle / hose I can't see where it is releasing.

This will go back to the garage but I would like some suggestions first, in case they say it's something major.

·
Registered
910 Posts
had to fix 3 leaks on the 207, one was the header tank to pipe which you have done, one was the header tank seem which was only spotted releasing pressure, and one was the rad which i found by getting engine very hot and sniffing for antifreeze.
none of these leaks got as far as the floor, the rad leak just evaporated.
worth checking your rad drain if fitted and thermostat housing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts