Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have recently bought a Peugeot 207 1.4 VTi 95HP that was low on coolant. There was only a tiny amount of coolant in the tank and I think it had a blue color. Nevertheless the engine was running fine and the temperature stood constant no matter the length of the journey.

To get things fixed, I hired a mechanic to change the coolant in the car. What he did was to just uncouple a pipe under the car, drain the liquid, and fill the system up with pink coolant.

This being my first car, from my research on the Internet on this subject, it seems that the mechanic didn't to its job properly:
  • According to the official service instructions, you have to drain the coolant by loosening the bleed valve cap to get everything out. This wasn't done.
  • The system wasn't cleaned with clean water.
  • As there was some coolant left in the engine, the pink coolant was mixed with the blue one. This seems to be a big no from what I've read on forums as the two coolants might chemically interact and do damage to the cooling system.
Could you please help me understand if my concerns are real or if it's just my imagination playing with me ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes you have to use both bleed valves, to unlock any air locks but he doesnt have to rinse out the system with water afaik.you should also run the engine and top up. Should top up with same colour coolant but you can use a different colour if you are changing it all. I used the cheapest concentrated red coolant with tap water as I live in a soft water area. But you should really use distilled. I have a similar pug.
Comma SLA5L Super Red Antifreeze and Coolant Concentrated, 5 Litre Comma SLA5L Super Red Antifreeze and Coolant Concentrated, 5 Litre: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
6,415 Posts
If it's original coolant it's not blue it's a purple colour and G33 spec as that is oem for vti engines

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for you comments.

Here are some photos that I just took:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The colors of the coolant looks weird (I suppose it's because of the mixing) and the level isn't okay. Should I get it changed properly by an approved Peugeot technician ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can easily do it yourself. There are loads of YouTube videos on how to. Any mechanic can do it.
You can top it up with some distilled water/pink coolant and simply open the bleed valves for a few seconds in case of airlocks. . I have the same 1980s engine. You have to bear in mind all the oat/hoat technology was not around in the 80s. Blue ethlyne gylcol was it! So the engine will not fail due to the coolant type.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts