Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had the coolant low light coming on in my car.
The level has never been low but I did keep finding coolant externally on the bottle just below the small return pipe.
There was never a lot although I was loosing the tiniest amount over a few days.
My car has also been running at about 77 degrees so I decided to change the thermostat and fit a second hand coolant bottle at the same time.

I cut the return pipe and created a new end incase it was damaged but My level is very slightly dropping still!
There is now no sign of coolant loss but it is loosing more than before.
I believe this could be due to air in the system?!
Could someone tell me the correct bleed procedure for the 2.0 hdi 90?
Could this be a sign of head gasket failure?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
the bleed screw is on the thermostat housing. i normally run without the cap on as well to make sure. put the heaters on full heat. not necessarily full speed though

if your sure theres no leaks. did you change the coolant cap?

any water in the oil. ie mayo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I changed the cap too.
No mayo/oil in water etc.
Was just thinking perhaps that coolant system was getting pressurised.
I did see another bleed screw near heater matrix area.
I have no idea how to get to it whilst the engine is running though!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the car is up to temp I have been cracking off the thermostat screw and getting a fair bet of Air out.
It's been doing this for a few journeys now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Elevate the car. Simply jacking up the front end of your vehicle lifts your radiator to a point that is higher than the rest of the cooling system. This will help force air pockets closed and dissipate air bubbles into the atmosphere. When elevating your vehicle, make sure that the radiator cap or reservoir tank cap is loose, to help speed the process
🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
....Was just thinking perhaps that coolant system was getting pressurised.
It is supposed to be pressurised, to prevent the coolant boiling. Excessive pressurisation, causing coolant loss, can happen if there is a leak between the cylinder(s) and the cooling system. That can be caused by head gasket failure or a crack in the cylinder block. If the leak does not involve the lubrication system, you will not see oil in coolant/coolant in oil.

The cooling system can be pressure tested.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, oil in coolant !!!!!!!

If you're talking about sludges formation of dexcool antifreeze in cooling system, this is another story. I use distilled water only and my cars love it.

But the best common traditional bleeding way is by jacking front of the car and let it bleed.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts