Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Peugeot 206 zest 2 '05 plate and it has recently had the heater matrix replaced as it was leaking coolant into the passenger footwell. The problem seemed to be fixed until two days ago. Started her up as normal, got about 5-10 mins into my journey and saw smoke coming from the bonnet so I pulled over. I never thought to check my coolant level even though I have had this issue before from a cracked tank! I did check my coolant yesterday after the last time about four days before and the level has dropped to minimum but no signs of it leaking into the footwells and I have felt all around the tank and can see no signs of any cracks. So unsure where it could be leaking from to drop the level so quickly and why my engine is overheating so dramatically?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It could be that it was not bled properly and had an airlock in the system which eventually cleared itself. Top up, re-bleed system and keep a close watch on level. Carefully inspect for leaks from engine bay.
Was the temp gauge showing it was overheating as coolant on min level in tank should not be a reason for overheating? Where was smoke coming from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smoke is coming from the centre of the bonnet, right above where the engine itself sits. It hasn't been bled out so I will try that thanks. The temp gauge shows between 70 and 90 but goes no higher than 90 even when the engine is smoking.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Smoke might be simply an oil leak from the cam cover getting onto the exhaust. Steamy water with antifreeze in it has a totally different smell to oil smoke. Antifreeze has a sweetish? smell to it when steamed off.

As the temp is not getting over 90 and water level is not below minimum, I would just top up, bleed and then monitor. Pretty sure you will find your smoke is oil leakage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a problem with my oil leaking also so yes could be that! It is leaking from the sump pan so replacing that shortly and the rocker gasket seal has gone so will be replacing that too. Hopefully that will fix it?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts