Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So those with grip control, has anyone had the opportunity to try these summer tyres out in the snow yet (braking and traction mainly) as they are M & S rated (but not tested).
Would be interested to hear any views on them :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, the M+S tires that comes with the grip control option are _not_ approved as winter tires in Norway. You should consider winter tires for Nordic regions if you drive a lot on snow. All the big manufacturers make them.

If you prefer Continental, then they have some studless that perform well in winter conditions: Conti Viking Contact 6 (some sell 5, but that's the older model).

Edit: had a look at Continental.no. The Mud & Snow tire you mentioned is listed as a summer tire. Don't use it during the winter!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, the M+S tires that comes with the grip control option are _not_ approved as winter tires in Norway. You should consider winter tires for Nordic regions if you drive a lot on snow. All the big manufacturers make them.

If you prefer Continental, then they have some studless that perform well in winter conditions: Conti Viking Contact 6 (some sell 5, but that's the older model).

Edit: had a look at Continental.no. The Mud & Snow tire you mentioned is listed as a summer tire. Don't use it during the winter!
Odd as this review site ...

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/r...rt_profil=111107478&language=EN&dsco=110&pg=6

gives very good marks for snow performance and there is this specific comment.....

"255/55 R18
VOLVO XC 90 Urteil: Would the reviewer purchase this bull again? Definitely Comments Very satisfied is on Volvo 18 Orginalfelg Originally, these are delivered with 235 tires, but these 255 work superly no tracking, amazing tires, do not understand the tire industry in Norway as banned all year tires, to drive on winter tires with bad watercraft properties half a year on a west lantern winter with mostly wet roads are madness you ask me! It takes a bit of calm in the days when there is ice on the road (on snow they are very nice, good on ice too, considering that there are no spikes!) "

(its a translation)

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is no such thing as all year tires in Norway because it's impossible for a tire to work all seasons here. The temperature difference between cold winter and hot summer can be more than 60°C.

I don't care what John Doe from Norway says on the Internet. The four tires is the only thing that keeps your car on the road. It's not the place you want to save money.

I don't think it's possible to find a better example than from the Manufacturer itself: https://www.continental.no/bil/dekk/suv/sommer/conticrosscontact-lx2

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with Agmuns.
I drive a 2017 3008 SUV with grip-control myself. The obligatory M+S are just overkill summer-tires. For the winter I have replaced the M+S (my future summer tires) with Goodyear UltraGrip SUV.
And they are really, really quiet. Silent.
Have´nt had the opportunity to test them in real winter-conditions yet, but my previous experience with studless tires in Norwegian conditions, combined with excellent reviews, made the choice easy.
Nokian, Michelin, Conti are also safe bets when/if choosing studless winter-tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ContiCrossContact LX2 225/55/R18 amateur test

Just another winter has come so I had a chance to compare 5008 GT, 2.0 Hdi (133 kW) with ContiCrossContact LX2 225/55/R18 produced in 02/2018, summer mileage about 10k km and old Skoda Octavia I (2001), 1.9 TDi (66 kW) with Goodyear Ultra Grip 195/65 R15 produced in 08/2016, winter mileage about 10k km too.
I am not a professional so my comparison is only subjective:
1. Braking: Octavia was better for about 1.3 m in case of braking from 30 km/h
2. Acceleration: Octavia was better even if I used the Grip Control - if both wheels are on a slipper surface then there is no difference with and without grip control. In both cases worse than Octavia.
3. Turning: It is hard to say. I was affraid to test it properly but I had a bad feeling during turning and I could feel some sliding especially in case of turning with pressed accelerator (no acceleration!).

One of the reasons could be that 5008 is about 400 kg heavier than Octavia. I also haven´t checked tyre presure so far. That will be my next step and I will probably order winter tyres.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts