Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Merged Posts

Hi,

i have a weird problem on my P 407 1.8g. When i bought the car few years back with 160.000 km on it the catalyst died just after 3.000 km. I have replaced it with a non-original one and it was fine until couple months ago when engine light came on (along with other warnings - abs, esp...it's like a christmas tree on the dash). I've taken it to Peugeot service and they found out that this catalyst also died. This one lasted for about 1.5 years.

I've had a few cars before (some over 240.000 on them) and never had a single catalyst issue. On 407 i am ready to replace second one in just over two years which indicates that there must be some other issue that burns the catalyst out. I've noticed these things:

- a lot of gas is smelling from the exhaust
- current catalyst get's all red when the car is hot

Any one had this problem? I'm suspecting there must be something wrong with the fuel mixture as i can smell gasoline from the exhaust pipe, although there weren't any errors indicating that issue.

· Registered
5,942 Posts
The way I read the post, you bought a car that had done 160,000km then after another 3000km the cat died. You then replaced it with an aftermarket unit of unknown quality and now after 18 months the replacement has died.

There is no mention of when the first catalyst was fitted so it is reasonable to suppose it may well have been the original in which case it has lasted a reasonable amount of time whereas the replacement has failed pretty quickly which could be down to either it being of poor quality, an unresolved issue with the car causing it to fail prematurely or a bit of both.

You sya you can smell petrol in the exhaust but you fail to say how long this has been the case. If it was llike this when you replaced the catalyst and you did nothing to investigate why and to repair the fault then there is only yourself to blame.

There is obviously some kind of overfuelling going on and it needs to be sorted out or else the next cat will likely suffer the same fate. If the garage you took it too cannot resolve it then maybe find somewhere else that can.

I'm guessing you are not in the UK with your using km so finding someone who has the correct Peugeot diagnostics may be difficult though you could get yourself one from ebay or other online sources and together with a cheap laptop be able to do you own diagnostics and get hte full picture of what the ecu's data is. Once armed with this information you will be well on the way to helping get the car running nicely again.

Don't be too quick to point the finger of blame at Peugeot because there will be three other fingers pointing back at you.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't blaming no one or pointing fingers. Peugeot service only did the diagnostics with the computer and they reported that catalys is due to die.

The first cat was original. I noticed the gas smell few weeks after i bought the car (after about 1.000 km) and before the original cat got blown.

I've already took it to Peugeot service for diagnostics and two local garages to check the engine but didn't find anything wrong so far. That's why i'm asking if someone else had this kind of problem.

· Registered
5,942 Posts
My apologies, I misread the post and got it wrong.

I was thinking about something else while reading this and my head jumbled the two together.

I have no real experience with Peugeot petrol engines but would hazard a guess it may be faulty injectors causing excessive fuelling but that's all it would be - a guess.

Best wait for someone more experienced to put forward their suggestions.

Once again, please accept my apology for mis interpreting what you wrote.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem :)

This seems to be a strange issue. I really don't want to invest 1.200+ euros for a new original cat before i find out what's causing this so any help or pointers appreciated :)

· Registered
1,144 Posts
The quickest way to check if you have emission issues is to put the car on a dynamometer and test emissions under simulated road conditions.

If your emissions are way out, it will quickly kill your CAT, so you will need to fix the emissions before replacing the CAT.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks WillNZ - i took it to MOT to check the emissions. The maximum allowed value is 3.00, where my car had almost constant value of 2.9. The average car has 1.2 to 1.3 so my 407 is way above the average hitting the max tolerance pretty close.

I will take it again to my local garage in the next weeks and hopefully they will find a solution for this.

Another question - i got some offer for a second hand cat from a trashed 407, where i could get complete exhaust system with the cat for below 300 euros. Is it worth buying a second one or is it just to much of a risk? Thanks

· Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
as above posts I think you have an overfueling issue thats wrecking the cats...or a failed exhaust sensor that is making the engine overfuel....

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks @noddy-hol, i took it again to the repair shop and they found that exhaust sensor is not working properly hence this might be the main issue.

Now the search for spare parts begins :)

· Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
hi...many thanks for replying its nice to know some advise we ALL give helps...keep us posted...:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.