Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I took my Peugeot into a nice guy who runs a garage. He was extremely busy so was only able to quickly scan the computer for me and reset the codes.

The codes stored were: -

P0571 - Brake Contact Signal
P1138 - Fuel Pressure Regulator
P0401 - EGR Regulator
P0101 - Flowmeter Signal

I did have the engine management light on with Anitpollution Fault until I sprayed EGR cleaner down the air intake which put the light out (past the MAF).

The symptoms I have now (and prior to the management light) is that the turbo is not boosting what so ever. The car feels a little perkier since I sprayed the EGR cleaner but still no boost or noise from the turbo. I brought a second hand Vacuum solenoid and changed the one that sits on the front of the engine just by the radiator. But no apparent difference. If I pull both those vacuum hoses off and linker them together (bypassing the solenoid) the car engine slows right down like it's struggling to run and white smoke plumes out the back.

Any ideas where to go and what to look at next would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks only have one nearby and not sure if still active.

Ok just been outside in the cold. Intercooler pipe has pressure boosting through it and just had plastic pipe off end of turbo the propeller kinda looking bit spins freely inside by hand and also rotates when the engine is running.

The solenoid I changed was in-fact the EGR one hence the smoke lol. The turbo solenoid does have suction on the lower of the two stems off the solenoid. I've tried sucking on this pipe whilst revving the engine but the sound doesn't change from the engine.

Any help or ideas would be ace!!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I don't know what a turbo sounds like. I've never been able to hear the turbo spooling up on any of the cars I've owned that were fitted with turbo's. No whooshing or whistling sounds. I know that my turbo must be working as it runs well and is pretty economical and while I won't beat any 0 - 60 records I still win plenty of traffic light Grand Prix's.

I sometimes wonder what the car would run like without the turbo but never had the inclination to try and run it without any turbo assistance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was overtaken by a lorry going up hill the other day and I was dropping gears to get up there. I'm guessing it's the turbo kicking in but I may be wrong.

Now and then when I'm booting it (most of the time to get it going) something kicks in very briefly and she pulls like a train (pardon the pun). Then it will suddenly go off as quick as it came on like some switched off a switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think my car is hating me now! :tantrum:

Went to the supermarket in it. On the way back washed my windscreen and then lost control of wipers, they seem to be stuck on intermittent and now have no indicators!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Ok so I took my Peugeot into a nice guy who runs a garage. He was extremely busy so was only able to quickly scan the computer for me and reset the codes.

The codes stored were: -

P0571 - Brake Contact Signal
P1138 - Fuel Pressure Regulator
P0401 - EGR Regulator
P0101 - Flowmeter Signal

I did have the engine management light on with Anitpollution Fault until I sprayed EGR cleaner down the air intake which put the light out (past the MAF).

The symptoms I have now (and prior to the management light) is that the turbo is not boosting what so ever. The car feels a little perkier since I sprayed the EGR cleaner but still no boost or noise from the turbo. I brought a second hand Vacuum solenoid and changed the one that sits on the front of the engine just by the radiator. But no apparent difference. If I pull both those vacuum hoses off and linker them together (bypassing the solenoid) the car engine slows right down like it's struggling to run and white smoke plumes out the back.

Any ideas where to go and what to look at next would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi, have you tried unplugging the MAF and going for a drive? Also the fuel pressure regulator may be worth giving a clean - I think its behind the fuel filter.

You may also have a dodgy/ sticky turbo solenoid, try swapping it with a known good one to eliminate it from the list of suspects.

I'm sorry if this has already been suggested and you've done all this already.

Bad news about the wiper/indicators....:(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Would you be tempted to have the diagnostics done again since the engine management light has gone out to see which fault codes are still being logged?

White smoke is a sign of either lots of condensation or a water entering the cylinders somewhere.

Check all vacuum lines for small pin holes.

Generally a small whirl or whistle coming from the turbo means it's pretty healthy.

I mean when you see all those taxis flying around the town that's all you can hear. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Forgot to say do check and clean the brake switch contact area as this may be contacting in error. Thus cuts the power to the injection pump silly idea I know aids engine braking to conserve fuel. So if you are giving it some beans on the open road and the switch is faulty or shorting it may feel like it's cutting power as the ecu thinks the car is slowing :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys given me a list to go on with!

The Taxi's in London love to get in the way and whistle!!!

Need to get to the bottom of it's new little challenge to me as I clearly can't drive it on the road with no indicators for too long.

Thanks again i'll keep you posted. If anyone else has any more ideas all worth a go as me trying costs nothing, although it's sadly getting closer to the Stealership!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok update. After spending an hour ripping off cables at random, running continuity tests etc down random wires I got really annoyed with it.

I went inside and had a good Cuppa, makes anything work!!! Brain kicked in so I went outside and took the battery off for five mins or so, slurping my cuppa whilst I reassembled looms and random plastic trims. Put the battery back on and hey presto the electrics were back to normal.

So reading the suggestions from top to bottom I unplugged the MAF and took it for a spin. I can tell you she has never flown like that before (ok sluggish against my M3 I used to have) but enough umph to put a grin on my face. So looks like all this rolling around in the cold and playing around etc it was the one thing I kept leaning over to get to everything.

Will get a new MAF sorted tomorrow so she's fit to run again.

Thanks so so much for the help really appreciated!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad you got to the core of the problem and sorted it. It all about patience at the end of the day.

You could try a little carb cleaner spray on the old MAF if you want to save a few pound notes generally that all it takes. Does the unit look dirty? But again it's personnel choice.

Let us know how you get on though. Kind regards Adam. :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The unit looks clean alas. To be honest the car has never run this well I've owned it for over a year now, she's been returning approx. 54mpg without the power she has now. So going to enjoy her for a bit. I've ordered a new one from eBay for £25 from a reputable seller who gives a years warranty so to be honest it's not a lot.

Always good to know their are decent people out there willing to help!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts