Peugeot Forums banner

Competitors

7K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  Nagaman 
#1 ·
The other car I have considered is the Mercedes GLA diesel but living with such an old fashioned facial that reminds me of a current Mazda style makes me think why pay more for what a Mazda CX3/5 gives you anyway.
(when I see a Mazda6 approaching, I have to look twice to check if it's not a Mercedes........hmmm)
The aviation industry moved away from the 100 dial look many years ago and Peugeot have embraced it fully.
It's a pity because the GLA's dimensions, with a slightly lower roof line would be perfectly suitable and probably slightly better fuel economy also.
There isn't anything near as modern as this 3008 that I can think of in the crossover field of competitors.

#2 ·
In my opinion, the only vehicle that comes close to the fresh/modern design approach is the Toyota CHR. Depending on your tastes, this is either an extremely striking looking vehicle, or just downright ugly. It's one you have to see in the metal to form a real opinion, and having test driven two, and seen several on the roads, it still makes me stop and stare.
However, it is totally impractical for a lot of people looking for an SUV, with a much smaller, and oddly shaped boot, dark interior, and a dashboard layout that is rather bland and uninspiring compared to the 3008.
I still really like the CHR despite it's shortcomings, and it was a real toss up for me whether to go for it or not. Now if Toyota had made it Rav 4 size, I would have signed on the dotted line.

#4 ·
For me there has to be a sense of anticipation in a vehicle I choose to put down my hand earned cash for.
Toyota make utterly rational and reliable vehicles but they're just too anodyne for me and I couldn't imagine myself missing one either.

#5 · (Edited)
The GLA and 3008 are two different segments and sizes. A more suitable comparison is the 3008 and GLC.

If you want to check out the competition, these are the competitors for the 3008 according to my dealer in Norway.

* Mazda CX5
* Nissan Qashqai
* Renault Kadjar
* Volkswagen Tiguan

As you can see, although many journalists say the 3008 have premium brand interior quality, the dealer does not see the premium brands as true competitors (possibly because people that buy premium brands usually never consider buying cars for common people).

Edit: if you do consider the GLA, then I suggest you wait. My dealer sell "final editions" of the A class. When they start selling different editions it usually means that it's soon to be replaced. The GLA is an A class on stilts.

#6 ·
As Agmuns says, I don't think the 3008 is a comparitor to the GLA nor the CX-3 as these are much smaller cars, the CX3 being based on the mazda 2(fiesta sized). I also don't think the CHR is in the same group either due to its cramped interior and boot space albeit some journo's have compared them together.

I did consider the GLC myself and was thinking of leasing one as the interior especially in higher specs and with the quilted white leather is lovely. But kitted out they are a good bit pricier of course, but when leasing with depreciation factored in maybe not so far off. Lease companies often ordered a lot of mercs with the C class often being available in huge number for low rates, so I suspect the GLC will be similar.

#10 ·
Apparently the GLA is soon to be replaced with a complete new design as the current model is only a jacked up A class to tide them over until the the one comes out.

Volvo has done the same by jacking up the V40 and calling it the V40 cross country. They too have a new model out soon to compete in the small SUV segment.

#18 ·
Had a test drive in the Toyota C-HR 1.2 petrol, car felt smaller and more closed in behind the wheel, and no spare wheel or jack.
The 1.2 petrol is a lot heavier than the 3008 by more than 300kilos of I remember correctly, the model I looked at did not have electric folding door mirrors (a must have where we live) and after the test drive I had left the passenger window open I asked if it could be closed from the remote but it would not. My 9 year old Citroen could do that.
After a drive in the 3008 it was no contest, Toyota is a good looking car but so is the 3008.

#19 ·
I actually ordered a C-HR a few days before the 3008 was launched. When I was invited to go to the launch at Peugeot I went just for curiosity purposes, expecting to see yet another 308 look-alike and was blown away with how modern, fresh and different the 3008 looked. I want straight from the Peugeot dealership to the Toyota one and cancelled the order. Absolutely no regrets.

#25 ·
Really surprised no one has mentioned the largest Mini ever made...the Countryman.

Really liked it with plenty of room and it's unique Mini styling.

Being tall though the windscreen simply didn't go high enough and found myself leaning forward to look up at traffic lights and signs too often.

#26 ·
Mm.. the Mini "Countryman"..... The Not so mini Mini! I have a real problem with those ugly mothers. How BMW can build a car big enough to fit a small country in it, (maybe why it's called a "Countryman") and call it a mini I have no idea. It's bigger than my 508!
I come from a generation that remembers the Austin Mini with great fondness as my mum had one and so did a lot of people I knew over the years.
Typical Germans, take a great British name and dilute it till it no longer means anything. Shame!

There's probably a lot of other people on this forum that may have the same opinion, hence the not so mini Mini hasn't been mentioned.

Grumpy.

#28 ·
So, your wife is desperate for a countryman.. Are you sure she's talking about the Automotive kind there Lee? Don't move to the country mate! If you're already in the country move to the city quick!
WAIT!! could be a way of not seeing the outlaw anymore maybe?

Grumpy

#37 ·
With Volvo switching new models over to hybrid/electric in a couple of years, they won't be selling many at all, especially if the XC90 and V60 hybrids are an indication of what they intend to charge for them.
I purchased a 4 month old V60 D6 Hybrid a couple of years ago. Price as new £58,000, 4 month old 3000 mile ex-demonstrator price £31,000. Now that's eye watering depreciation. Fabulous car though.

#38 ·
I'm looking at a brand new (2015!) C4 Picasso (5seat) THP 1.6 EAT6 tomorrow which has been, for obvious reasons, discounted for £20,240 drive away.
For an old git, not easy to dismiss and has more than enough stuff.
6 year/unlimited kms warranty. Just enough ground clearance better ride, current platform engine and transmission.
No choice of colour - just silver ......and my TomTom sits on the shelf directly in front of me....3 screens :)
Can I resist.....

#43 ·
Hi Naggas,

I had a discussion with the CEO of a large company I deal with about the F type Jaguar he had been pondering about. He was torn between the sensible 3L V6 or the insensible 5L V8. I said to him, if you bought the V6 would you always be wondering if you should have had the V8?
He bought the V8.
Would the same question apply to you with the Citroen or the 3008?

Admittedly cost was not an issue for the CEO but the principle of wondering "what if" still applies.

Grumpy

#39 ·
I really like the C4 picasso as well. Nice inside and lots of light !
The only downside (but I could live with it) is that the seats have no lateral support and even slowly in roundabouts, you can slide off your seat.....

#40 ·
Hi maxime,
In 2015 we hired a Sixt rental one, manual transmission 1.6 HDI and did 2000+ miles around England and Wales and thoroughly enjoyed its non trendy :D sensibility. Pity we can't get the diesel hear though.

#41 ·
I've just swapped my 2014 2.0 BlueHDi C4 Grand Picasso for the 3008 GT 180.

Nothing wrong at all about the C4GP, very futuristic and nice to drive. Equipment specs hit a sweet spot late in 2014. After that date, Citroen started gradually removing bits and pieces (full mood lighting, second USB socket).

Any specific questions, please just ask.

Reactions: Nagaman
#42 ·
Really the only thing I would like is a Ruby Red one.
Another benefit is mere 17" wheel/tyre combo with cheaper tyres to replace.
I must stay aloof and calculating all the same because, out here, it's a matter of 'you own what!':nono:

#45 ·
Nagaman - Did you measure the ground clearance yourself of the C4 Picasso?

I had a real panic the other day when I thought I would ground my 3008, as I was forced to use a road with a nightmare of a humpback bridge.

No damage whatsoever, so I think the clearance on the 3008 must be pretty good. Couldn't find the actual figure for my C4 Grand Picasso (in the brochures or handbook).

#51 · (Edited)
Well, it's done and the changeover was too good to refuse and allowing us to hang on to more of my good performing shares.
The GT apparently is to be close to $60k which is just too much, for a car with significantly less passenger space than the C4P which has the same auto and engine combo as the petrol 3008 Australia will be getting.
Spare me, just how many more features can they invent?.
Surround cameras, park assist, keyless entry, 3 power points and 2 USB points.........
Radar cc braking is missing and the cross traffic alert isn't relevant to me, as I always reverse in, and I get to be able to put my TomTom directly in front:thumb:
But one day......:)

#52 ·
Do you have the park 360 option? You'll have a front camera and see the fish eye lenses on the bottom of each of the door mirrors. I didn't use it a great deal, as the Citroen requires you to push buttons to get the 360 view. I notice that my 3008 tries to simulate this feature with the standard fit Vision 180, but I seem to see a chequered box quite a lot. Clever system though.

If you have the two USB sockets, then you'll have missed some of the cutbacks to kit by Citroen, which is a good thing. Check whether you have full mood lighting (door bins, door handles front and back etc). Radar cruise was standard on the UK Exclusive Plus when I bought my C4GP and a lot of people weren't happy when their cars arrived without it. It only worked using engine braking, so used to surge quite a bit. It is nowhere near as good as the new active cruise with stop on the 3008, so again you're not missing much.

Reactions: Nagaman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.