Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other car I have considered is the Mercedes GLA diesel but living with such an old fashioned facial that reminds me of a current Mazda style makes me think why pay more for what a Mazda CX3/5 gives you anyway.
(when I see a Mazda6 approaching, I have to look twice to check if it's not a Mercedes........hmmm)
The aviation industry moved away from the 100 dial look many years ago and Peugeot have embraced it fully.
It's a pity because the GLA's dimensions, with a slightly lower roof line would be perfectly suitable and probably slightly better fuel economy also.
There isn't anything near as modern as this 3008 that I can think of in the crossover field of competitors.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
In my opinion, the only vehicle that comes close to the fresh/modern design approach is the Toyota CHR. Depending on your tastes, this is either an extremely striking looking vehicle, or just downright ugly. It's one you have to see in the metal to form a real opinion, and having test driven two, and seen several on the roads, it still makes me stop and stare.
However, it is totally impractical for a lot of people looking for an SUV, with a much smaller, and oddly shaped boot, dark interior, and a dashboard layout that is rather bland and uninspiring compared to the 3008.
I still really like the CHR despite it's shortcomings, and it was a real toss up for me whether to go for it or not. Now if Toyota had made it Rav 4 size, I would have signed on the dotted line.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have considered the Mercedes-Benz GLA as well and the Mazda CX3 and at some point the Kia Sportage. But I didn't see a reason to change my Subaru XV with the latter two.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion, the only vehicle that comes close to the fresh/modern design approach is the Toyota CHR. Depending on your tastes, this is either an extremely striking looking vehicle, or just downright ugly. It's one you have to see in the metal to form a real opinion, and having test driven two, and seen several on the roads, it still makes me stop and stare.
However, it is totally impractical for a lot of people looking for an SUV, with a much smaller, and oddly shaped boot, dark interior, and a dashboard layout that is rather bland and uninspiring compared to the 3008.
I still really like the CHR despite it's shortcomings, and it was a real toss up for me whether to go for it or not. Now if Toyota had made it Rav 4 size, I would have signed on the dotted line.
For me there has to be a sense of anticipation in a vehicle I choose to put down my hand earned cash for.
Toyota make utterly rational and reliable vehicles but they're just too anodyne for me and I couldn't imagine myself missing one either.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The GLA and 3008 are two different segments and sizes. A more suitable comparison is the 3008 and GLC.

If you want to check out the competition, these are the competitors for the 3008 according to my dealer in Norway.

* Mazda CX5
* Nissan Qashqai
* Renault Kadjar
* Volkswagen Tiguan

As you can see, although many journalists say the 3008 have premium brand interior quality, the dealer does not see the premium brands as true competitors (possibly because people that buy premium brands usually never consider buying cars for common people).

Edit: if you do consider the GLA, then I suggest you wait. My dealer sell "final editions" of the A class. When they start selling different editions it usually means that it's soon to be replaced. The GLA is an A class on stilts.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The GLA and 3008 are two different segments and sizes. A more suitable comparison is the 3008 and GLC.

If you want to check out the competition, these are the competitors for the 3008 according to my dealer in Norway.

* Mazda CX5
* Nissan Qashqai
* Renault Kadjar
* Volkswagen Tiguan

As you can see, although many journalists say the 3008 have premium brand interior quality, the dealer does not see the premium brands as true competitors (possibly because people that buy premium brands usually never consider buying cars for common people).

Edit: if you do consider the GLA, then I suggest you wait. My dealer sell "final editions" of the A class. When they start selling different editions it usually means that it's soon to be replaced. The GLA is an A class on stilts.
As Agmuns says, I don't think the 3008 is a comparitor to the GLA nor the CX-3 as these are much smaller cars, the CX3 being based on the mazda 2(fiesta sized). I also don't think the CHR is in the same group either due to its cramped interior and boot space albeit some journo's have compared them together.

I did consider the GLC myself and was thinking of leasing one as the interior especially in higher specs and with the quilted white leather is lovely. But kitted out they are a good bit pricier of course, but when leasing with depreciation factored in maybe not so far off. Lease companies often ordered a lot of mercs with the C class often being available in huge number for low rates, so I suspect the GLC will be similar.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Australia the GLA and 3008 have similar ground clearance, length and pricing....expensive enough.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GLA 2014 3008
Height 1494 1624
Width 1804 1841
Length 4424 4447
Boot 421l 520l

Mercedes-Benz GLA 2017 dimensions, boot space and interior

Peugeot 3008 2017 dimensions, boot space and interior

GLA looks to be astra sized but a bit taller to me. Or is the AU version of the GLA oversized??
The 3008 is more than big enough for us but addictive.
The GLA is an overpriced Mazda clone, big enough but badge aside ...it's ok.
Trouble is there isn't anything as relatively enticing.

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Apparently the GLA is soon to be replaced with a complete new design as the current model is only a jacked up A class to tide them over until the the one comes out.

Volvo has done the same by jacking up the V40 and calling it the V40 cross country. They too have a new model out soon to compete in the small SUV segment.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Apparently the GLA is soon to be replaced with a complete new design as the current model is only a jacked up A class to tide them over until the the one comes out.

Volvo has done the same by jacking up the V40 and calling it the V40 cross country. They too have a new model out soon to compete in the small SUV segment.
It'll take a lot to beat their XC60. Had one for 3 years and absolutely love, love, loved it. :thumb:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Agreed. They changed the design ever so slightly but I preferred the model I had (2011-2014).
Off topic, but i meant the new new one coming out shortly, similar to recent xc90. I like them also but they are so old tech wise I couldn't consider a prior one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Surprised that the Seat Ateca isn't in that list.
It's because Seat isn't sold in Norway
What Peujamas said. We have Skoda instead. I honestly have no idea what the difference is between Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat but the price tag. They all look the same to me. The Tiguan have the same price as the 3008 in Norway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Had a test drive in the Toyota C-HR 1.2 petrol, car felt smaller and more closed in behind the wheel, and no spare wheel or jack.
The 1.2 petrol is a lot heavier than the 3008 by more than 300kilos of I remember correctly, the model I looked at did not have electric folding door mirrors (a must have where we live) and after the test drive I had left the passenger window open I asked if it could be closed from the remote but it would not. My 9 year old Citroen could do that.
After a drive in the 3008 it was no contest, Toyota is a good looking car but so is the 3008.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Had a test drive in the Toyota C-HR 1.2 petrol, car felt smaller and more closed in behind the wheel, and no spare wheel or jack.
The 1.2 petrol is a lot heavier than the 3008 by more than 300kilos of I remember correctly, the model I looked at did not have electric folding door mirrors (a must have where we live) and after the test drive I had left the passenger window open I asked if it could be closed from the remote but it would not. My 9 year old Citroen could do that.
After a drive in the 3008 it was no contest, Toyota is a good looking car but so is the 3008.
I actually ordered a C-HR a few days before the 3008 was launched. When I was invited to go to the launch at Peugeot I went just for curiosity purposes, expecting to see yet another 308 look-alike and was blown away with how modern, fresh and different the 3008 looked. I want straight from the Peugeot dealership to the Toyota one and cancelled the order. Absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got to check out the current GLA......hopelessly cramped inside and pretty much useless.
Release info for dealers is 8-9 August, so I just have to be patient :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts