Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to the Forum and need your help:confused:
I have a 2006 407 SV I have developed a squeal when I turn the steering wheel like a mouse. Gets worse when the weather is hot. Peugeot garage have told me I need a new Comms 2000? Can anyone advise me as I don't think its that. All indicators, headlights, cruise, stereo etc working ok. Can I not use some WD40 on it somewhere? Sounds like dry bearings or something.
Please help......:eek:

C

·
0 Posts
WD40 on a bearing? Yoiks!

Swollocks, I've never dealt with one of these. Do they run a slip-ring for the horn or anyting?

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
chopper1192 said:
WD40 on a bearing? Yoiks!

Swollocks, I've never dealt with one of these. Do they run a slip-ring for the horn or anyting?
Sorry mate i meant is the noise inside the car or outside , theres nothing inside a comm unit that squeaks, the airbag ribbon goes round and there is a large centre spring type thing but its more for compression than circular movement , i was thinking its just rubbing against the steering wheel as he turns maybe just the outer covers loose.:confused:

C

·
0 Posts
No worries. That answers my query - if there's some kind of coiled cable arrangement then I doubt there would also be a slip ring.

In that case, yeah, possible the trim loose/not aligned correctly and touching the colulm as it turns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Squeaky Steering Wheel

The noise can be heard inside the car. As you turn the wheel mostly out of a bend or sometimes into a bend its very high pitched like a gate that needs oiling or a mouse. Its worse in hot weather which was what made me think of a bearing drying out. I am a girly so what do I know! I am going to take the plastic cowling off the steering wheel column at the weekend and investigate. Its defo coming from the steering column somewhere, my mate at the dealers said just turn the stereo up!!! But on a long journey it is soooo annoying. Do either of you have any ideas? Cheers Ellie:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts