Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen much discussion about these units failing.

What actually breaks or stops working?

Are they in no way repairable?

David

·
Registered
862 Posts
BestGear said:
I have seen much discussion about these units failing.

What actually breaks or stops working?

Are they in no way repairable?

David

They can be repaired,there are some companies out there that will do the job for you. There are a few variants of the com 2000 that maybe a repair would be the best option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Is there one common failure, or can it be several things?

Isthe unit coded to the VIN (unlikley I would think)?

Is it a mechanical (plastic) part that breaks or is it electronic?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
862 Posts
BestGear said:
Thanks for the reply.

Is there one common failure, or can it be several things?

Isthe unit coded to the VIN (unlikley I would think)?

Is it a mechanical (plastic) part that breaks or is it electronic?

Thanks

David

TBH i am not entirely sure what causes the failure,it is such a common complaint though that it could be almost anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi

It would be interesting to find out, given that its apparently inevitable that it will fail.

Another good thing to have handy would be a list of other cars that have the same module so that those that frequent the breakers can have a fighting chance of success.

David

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my other half a Y reg 2001 307 last year, and one hot summer day I indicated right and ...yep, full beam came on also! By the time I was nearly home, it had returned to normal.

I have encountered no problems until this Sunday (nearly a year later, and hot weather again). For the last couple of days the full beam has been on when indicating right. I have also noticed the other common problem where indicating right, then turning causes over correction and generates the left indicator.

I removed the casing from around the COM2000 and tried WD40 and PTFE lubricant, but this made no difference. However I noticed that if I push the small piece of plastic behind the indicator stalk (I believe it is there to stop you pushing the indicator forward) slightly towards me, the full beam would stop. Unfortunately once you remove the pressure, the full beam continued with the indicator. In desperation and annoyance, I "whacked" this piece of plastic with the back of the screwdriver....and this has (for now) stopped the full beam coming on!! I am sure it will return again, but for now, the brute force and ignorance attempt has temporarily resolved the issue.

I would be interested to see if other people are encountering similar issues in the summer heat (possibly the heat causes the contacts to "stick" in the COM2000??)

I also noticed that the COM2000 had a date of December 2003, so it has definately been replaced since the car was built in 2001 (I think there was a separate recall for the COM2000).

Would also be interested in seeing what other owners encountered, and how this was fixed (how many times replaced) and if Peugeot have any views on this common fault.

Personally I believe that Peugeot should replace the part if these symptoms are encountered (even if out of warranty), as this is very clearly a safety issue that could cause an accident (e.g. turning right could appear that you may flash other traffic to pull out in front of you).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Was the unit easy enough to strip down to see whats going on?

So far, failure looks to be either plastic breaking or wearing, causing a poor fit/contact.

I could do with getting a known duff one to disect first... so if anyone has one around... drop me a PM.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.