Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this topic exists elsewhere but I thought it might be a good idea for people to detail their DMF/clutch failures listing certain things as but not limited to:

Age of car when DMF/clutch failed
Mileage at failure/replacement
Cost of parts
Cost of labour
Number of replacements (if more than one with mileage)

I've read dozens of posts on different forums of people who have had DMF failures at low mileage and relatively young ages and it seems I've been quite lucky with mine!

My 407 has just reached 97k and 10 years old and she's going in for the DMF and clutch replacement next

Will update with Labour and parts cost next week.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My first 407 2.0 hdi had one done at about 50k.
Under warranty.
And my dads 407 2.0 hdi had one done at a similar mileage, under warranty too.
So can only guess at cost.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did mine on 155.000 km per few mechanics DMF could go easily for another 30k km but clutch started slipping so I replaced it all with LUK set. I am satisfied so far its been 30.000 kilometers since then. (not sure if the prices in Serbia are interesting for you but labour was 100 euros and parts 400 euros) also make sure to change seals i think on crankshaft and on the gearbox.
Replacing gearbox oil while you are at it is a good idea (i didnt do it but I regret it a bit)

·
Registered
122 Posts
mine recently blocked. (only about 1.5 months after buying the car.)

I've cleaned it using a pressure washer as per the guide on this forum.

I didn't look at the data for the lifetime of the DPF before removing and cleaning.
however, according to planet it is completely clean and has an expected lifetime of a further 300,000 (and something -can't remember the exact number) km...

the car has done a little over 210,000 miles and is 15 years old. - and with 4% load on the DPF that's the expected millage remaining as reported by the car... so I'd guess that mine was due to fail...
(basically their expected lifetime appears to be a high enough mileage, that only the brave, foolish or poor are likely to be buying)

I have a long A-road/motorway drive to work, so I fit exactly into the profile of driving that is supposed to be good for these filters... (which may affect the reported lifespan.)

the DPF on the car looks clean on the outside (which may be an indication it has been changed before) though the flange that connects to the cat was very rusty and some bolts did need to be cut to remove it, or sheared whilst removing it... (which may be an indication that it has never been removed)
the service history with the car was reasonably comprehensive (left inside from the last owner.) given that all receipts for services have been kept, it'd be strange not to keep a record of such a big ticket item...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
mine recently blocked. (only about 1.5 months after buying the car.)

I've cleaned it using a pressure washer as per the guide on this forum.

I didn't look at the data for the lifetime of the DPF before removing and cleaning.
however, according to planet it is completely clean and has an expected lifetime of a further 300,000 (and something -can't remember the exact number) km...

the car has done a little over 210,000 miles and is 15 years old. - and with 4% load on the DPF that's the expected millage remaining as reported by the car... so I'd guess that mine was due to fail...
(basically their expected lifetime appears to be a high enough mileage, that only the brave, foolish or poor are likely to be buying)

I have a long A-road/motorway drive to work, so I fit exactly into the profile of driving that is supposed to be good for these filters... (which may affect the reported lifespan.)

the DPF on the car looks clean on the outside (which may be an indication it has been changed before) though the flange that connects to the cat was very rusty and some bolts did need to be cut to remove it, or sheared whilst removing it... (which may be an indication that it has never been removed)
the service history with the car was reasonably comprehensive (left inside from the last owner.) given that all receipts for services have been kept, it'd be strange not to keep a record of such a big ticket item...
DMF not DPF ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
2.2 HDi.
DMF was rattling at 74k at 6 years old.
Changed at 86k at 7 years old. Cost £746.
Currently on 150k at 10 years old and no trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New DMF and clutch fitted today; total cost £673.

Parts: LUK DMF, LUK clutch kit and flywheel bolts cost £292 (thanks to my work having an account with ECP, saving me £267!)
Labour: £381 inc VAT

I'd almost forgotten what a perfectly working clutch and flywheel felt like!

·
Registered
25 Posts
2005 407sw 1.6hdi

Age of car -2005 6 years at failure in 2011
Mileage at failure 74521
Cost of parts - £561
Cost of labour - £380

Only replaced once . Not long after i bought the car (1 month ) i was involved in a serious motorbike accident so the car hardly moved except a neightbour moving it back and forth occasional run for about 7 months while i recovered enough to drive. My case was DMf and release bearing collapsed on christmas day. when they dropped the engine out it was discovered one of the driveshafts had seized so this also needed replace along with clutch fork and guide bush. In total including VAT bill came to £1130.29p. Have had no issues with it since replacement in 2011. The garage i used had a good reputation and i had dealt with them before. They also backed me up when the warranty company where trying to back out of paying, Taking photos sending a comprehensive report to them to point out it was not my fault, as they tried to say i shouldn't have driven it to the place !

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a funny feeling that my flywheel has had a spectacular failure in the past... (not whilst I've owned the car...)

there is a hole (obviously not machine cut) in the bell housing. (only noticed it this weekend whilst trying to fix something else.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
What are the symptoms of a failing DMF please? My 2.0 has recently started to sound rough/lumpy on tickover and rough/vibey when running but no significant loss of power!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pretty much that, does the noise / vibrations change when you push the clutch pedal in?
My clutch/flywheel was rattling for a good 3 years. Probably did around 25k on it. I finally got it changed after the clutch was mega juddering after a 300 mile journey!
It's not cheap so save your pennies!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did mine on 155.000 km per few mechanics DMF could go easily for another 30k km but clutch started slipping so I replaced it all with LUK set. I am satisfied so far its been 30.000 kilometers since then. (not sure if the prices in Serbia are interesting for you but labour was 100 euros and parts 400 euros) also make sure to change seals i think on crankshaft and on the gearbox.
Replacing gearbox oil while you are at it is a good idea (i didnt do it but I regret it a bit)
Madaf... started slipping now on 222.000km madaf.., and I am 100% certain it is not worn down clutch plate. I learn to drive on a car that had really shitty clutch system that I have replaced twice so, generally I am very very careful when it comes to using clutch so I really do not think it is human factor (I mean it might be but I have never burned it, never keep it pressed for long time and I usually kick out of the gear when stopping without pressing clutch) I was expecting it to last for at least another 40-50k but this is way less than expected, waaay leess. DMF is fine I think its not vibrating pulsing and I do not feel anything that should point out to it as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No updates for some time it seems.
Guess some have gone solid (like flywheels of old used to be..), others stuck with the DMF.
Mine is grumbling; 2007 407sw 2.0 HDi @ 108,500 miles. No record of it being replaced previously. Being gentle with the clutch & keeping high gear revs up, not labouring it so hopefully can last a while yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts