Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cold weather is back, and I'd forgotten how quickly the rear brakes on the 307 sieze up. Dragging a wheel through snow is bad enough, but it's like having a boot full of bricks on the motorway.
Does anyone know what causes the brakes to seize up, is it the cable getting frozen or the brake mechanism itself?

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

james.

D

·
0 Posts
Its the handbrake cables. Water freezing in them. Park the car with handbrake down and in gear. Only cure this weather.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
or do what they do on "Ice Road Truckers" get underneath and smack that bitch with a hammer. :lol:

edit: when this normally happens to me i rock the car with the handbrake off. normally loosens the brakes off..you know when it has released coz you will hear a thud haha

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davidireland said:
Its the handbrake cables. Water freezing in them. Park the car with handbrake down and in gear. Only cure this weather.
Great stuff. Glad I don't have to start taking wheels off in this weather!
Advice much appreciated :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jet said:
Great stuff. Glad I don't have to start taking wheels off in this weather!
Advice much appreciated :)
...which also explains why the brakes don't release after running for a while. Thought that the heat generated by the friction should be enough to thaw out any frozen caliper. May have a bash under the car before the journey home, see if I can loosen it up a bit.

D

·
0 Posts
hot water poured onto the cables will work sometimes too. Before next winter inject raw antifreeze into the cables.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cck2k9 said:
or do what they do on "Ice Road Truckers" get underneath and smack that bitch with a hammer. :lol:

edit: when this normally happens to me i rock the car with the handbrake off. normally loosens the brakes off..you know when it has released coz you will hear a thud haha
I'm prefering the ice road truckers approach ;)
I've also had the thud, normally coincides with a bit of ice free road! Still drags for quite a bit after though :( At least I know what's going on now, leave the handbrake off from now on..

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Leaving the handbrake off overnight works but you have to remember not to use it during the next day or it will just stick the first time you use it,ending up with new cables needed if they get damaged which i think are less than £20.

J

·
0 Posts
I had that, in fact it only disappeared yesterday when I got a hammer and chisel and placed the chisel between the caliper and the disc, and cracked it one with the hammer (handbrake off) and now I DO NOT apply the handbrake, just in gear.

I just have to hope on a morning when I leave the car to warm up that the chunks of snow wont give way :D

So pretty much what the guys above said, don't apply the handbrake in the cold, just make sure the brakes are loose and leave it in gear.

Wouldn't want "Octagon Wheels" :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JazzJPH said:
I had that, in fact it only disappeared yesterday when I got a hammer and chisel and placed the chisel between the caliper and the disc, and cracked it one with the hammer (handbrake off) and now I DO NOT apply the handbrake, just in gear.

I just have to hope on a morning when I leave the car to warm up that the chunks of snow wont give way :D

So pretty much what the guys above said, don't apply the handbrake in the cold, just make sure the brakes are loose and leave it in gear.

Wouldn't want "Octagon Wheels" :lol:
That's a pretty hardcore approach, like it though!
I think octagon wheels could be the new thing. Think mine are currently D shaped! Haven't used the handbrake for a week now, all much better. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cck2k9 said:
a little off topic, i do have to say tho, that lass on there is canny fit ;)
Agree with you there, not seen it for a while, but she just joined last time I watched. Clearly wanting to get on TV! That's fine by me :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts