Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one tell me what to do to solve the issue of when the glow plugs should work, and at what temp!

Main dealer in Coventry say they only come on at -27 C which I find hard to believe!

If starting when cold like its been for weeks now the engine cranks for a long time before it finally starts. My old 306 D Turbo didnt do this.

How can I fix this as these plugs are controlled by the ECU? Any advise

·
Registered
196 Posts
hdi engine;s and most others dont use the glow plugs untill it reaches - temps.not just -5 but really cold,so that wont be affecting it,this could be caused by alot of things so ilimination is the best way to go,is batery good,then check the glowplug relay,temp control sensor,i no it dont sound like its anything to do with it but it is a common prob with hard start,and another thing is starting motor,they have a seliond in them that builds the fuel pressure up faster,injectors mesure the ohms.fuel lift pump in tank you can hear them run but do sometimes do get lazy with age,or the expencive bit high presure fuel pump.and new fuel filter if not serviced recently

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cold starting issue

I am about to do a full service on the 307 and the fuel filter will be replaced at this time. This could possibly fix this as another issue that I have had with the pug is the performance or lack of it! Which I have fixed by filling up with Shell V power Diesel this made a great difference to the car the torque mid range has been significantly improved. The fuel that i was using due to cost was Teasco city diesel but the bio level I bleive is too high and might have also clooged the fuel filter. I will check the items that you mentioned now i know the roll they play in the starting strategy.

Thanks I will tell you the out come.

This is not my first pug this is the 5th that I have and currently owned (205 1.9 GTIs, 306 DTurbo,206 1.4HDI and todate 307 HDI)

The 307 has never left me by the road side with a breakdown just niggles really, it looks like others havent been so fortunate.

Cheers
Blue Pug

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold starting 307 hdi 90

Carried out full service on my 307, which included the fuel filter slight improvement on start up on icy morning.
I have noticed that the glow plug icon on the dash does not follow the relay timer for the plugs. If i put on the ignition and listen carefully you can hear the timer click, cranking after this usually the engine starts ok.

Thanks for advice :wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts