Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have a 2008 Peugeot 207 with about 45k on the clock. Full service history. It's been slightly dodgy on the cold start for a while, but has got a lot worse recently.

Spark plugs were changed last year, and it had its annual service (oil, filters etc changed) in October.

My local garage think there's a dodgy target coolant temperature (-47 degrees) programmed into the ECU, which is what's causing it to be poor in the cold as it's not sending enough petrol through. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, will my local Peugeot dealer be able to run a software fix? Anything else it might be?

I can still start it by hammering the accelerator but would prefer not to have to, and I know it's not good for it long-term.

Runs beautifully when warm.

Many thanks, all.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've been meaning to post this for some time; I had this trouble a couple of years after I bought the car (a 407) and then again late last year when the cold weather came. There are many suggestions, mainly centring around the connections on the starter motor or the alternator.

On the first occasion, I changed the battery for a cheap one and it was never brilliant, sometimes it required a jump start when temperatures were down. I have now bought a Bosch and even at -5 it starts first time.

The point is that I noticed that, on both occasions running up to the failure to start, the dashboard clock was losing time - up to a minute a day - with this new battery, it is accurate.

So, if your clock is out, it is a fair sign that your battery is dying.

D

·
0 Posts
Is it 1.4 8valve. If so there is a software update for this problem.

Sent from my GT-S5690

D

·
0 Posts
Ok. The coolant temp sensors give trouble on this engine alright. It a BMW one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just to update in case of interest. Took it to the Peugeot dealer and it is indeed the temperature sensor (or at least the switch attached to it). Was stopping enough fuel getting to the engine when cold starting. Quite pricey to get changed but it's partially under an AA warranty which makes it a bit better. Thanks for all the advice, hopefully that's the last of it!

Apparently coolant was leaking up the wire that attaches the sensor to the EPU, and if it had been left much longer it would have hit the EPU and blown it. So a lucky break!

·
Registered
8 Posts
looks interesting, I have a 57 plate 307 with 25k on the clock. When it is cold it always starts first time but needs the accelerator pedal pressing to keep it going for the first 10 secs then it runs ok. have been told my battery is at 65 % capacity but might be the switch as it only does it when the temp is below about 2 deg. sound familiar

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks interesting, I have a 57 plate 307 with 25k on the clock. When it is cold it always starts first time but needs the accelerator pedal pressing to keep it going for the first 10 secs then it runs ok. have been told my battery is at 65 % capacity but might be the switch as it only does it when the temp is below about 2 deg. sound familiar
Certainly does. Yes it would only happen when cold. A not infrequent issue apparently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts