Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 407 seems to take longer to start in the morning, particularly when cold - takes 3-4 secs, whereas when warm, it will start instantly. Heater plugs were all changed 6 months ago, even though these shouldn't be needed as temp is only about 4-5degC.

Do your 407s take similar time to start when cold, or is it indicating my battery could be losing performance (hasn't been changed in the 2yrs I've owned the car, and don't know about before then)?

If it could be the battery, how do I test it? Was showing 12.5V the other day when putting a multimeter across it.

Any other ideas, or is this normal :lol:

·
Registered
217 Posts
On the last three modern diesels I've owned this has been the case, one was from new so I wouldn't worry too much

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its no way near 10 secs - probably seems longer than it really is.

A new battery might improve it, but for the sake of a couple of secs, I don't think that warrants a new one just yet :nono:

Won't go worrying about it anymore :lol:

Thanks guys :thumb:

·
5,042 Posts
put a new battery on mine about 6 weeks ago and now its cold the engine does maybe 3 revolutions before it starts from cold

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
same here trem...got one of the halfrauds silver calcium heavy duty bosche ones...starts on or around 3rd

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Bit of a process I hear to disconnecting a battery from a 407. I only heard about it due to this forum. If you get a discharge tester on it jmkent it will show up bad cells, also while there a check on the alternator output would be useful.
There is a guy on u tube doing starter motor overhauls might be of interest to you all.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Timed it this morning - 1-2secs tuning over then fired up fine.... so not as long as I thought :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it took longer to start today (coldest day here since last winter) so I decided to do some testing. Checked the voltage after coming home from work, 12.7V... left it an hour, re-checked and it had dropped to 12.3V :( So went Halfords for the free battery check, and end result, it is a duff battery with only 52% charge.
So, bought a new 780Ah Bosch battery and fitted tonight. Starts instantly now... lets see if it will after the freeze tonight :lol:

I'm also hoping it might cure the random handbrake warning I get when starting the car :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success, -5degC this morning and started virtually instantly :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Similar problem here. A week ago ago and again today (outside temp - 0 deg C) it failed to start. However, when jump leads were attached from the wife's car, the thing sprang into life.

As I was driving along considering this, the engine management light came on and refused to go off - there's no message with it and there was no change in performance at all.

I had a new battery about 4 or 5 months ago. However, recently I have been doing short trips in the dark and I was wondering if the alternator was not being given a chance to do its job. I did give it a run two days ago - 20 miles of motorway at a steady 70 in 5th.

It's booked into the local garage (where it had been serviced a week ago) tomorrow to see what they can come up with.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, its not that... its been doing it for months.

Its the error you get if you apply the handbrake whilst the car is still moving, yet it flashes & beeps up at me within a second or two of starting the car, with the handbrake on and the car not moving. Peugeot reckon it would be brought on by a faulty ABS sensor, but they are all working OK and no faults ever present. Wondering perhaps if they may need a clean, but that can wait until new discs/pads are fitted, which won't be too many thousands of miles to go.

·
Registered
580 Posts
No, its not that... its been doing it for months.

Its the error you get if you apply the handbrake whilst the car is still moving, yet it flashes & beeps up at me within a second or two of starting the car, with the handbrake on and the car not moving. Peugeot reckon it would be brought on by a faulty ABS sensor, but they are all working OK and no faults ever present. Wondering perhaps if they may need a clean, but that can wait until new discs/pads are fitted, which won't be too many thousands of miles to go.
Same error comes up on mine every now and then, but everything seems to be working OK and no errors come up on Planet.

Malcolm.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ditto :D

Very frustrating that no faults are logged for Planet to find :mad:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Similar problem here. A week ago ago and again today (outside temp - 0 deg C) it failed to start. However, when jump leads were attached from the wife's car, the thing sprang into life.

As I was driving along considering this, the engine management light came on and refused to go off - there's no message with it and there was no change in performance at all.

I had a new battery about 4 or 5 months ago. However, recently I have been doing short trips in the dark and I was wondering if the alternator was not being given a chance to do its job. I did give it a run two days ago - 20 miles of motorway at a steady 70 in 5th.

It's booked into the local garage (where it had been serviced a week ago) tomorrow to see what they can come up with.
The garage cleared a whole range of faults - I suspect that they caused them on the service:(

However, despite a 120 mile run, starting was still sluggish - it didn't turn over quite as fast as it normally did. It possibly could be something to do with the starter motor needing too much current (poor connection, faulty relay?) I'll have to have a look at it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did they make sure the battery was still OK (not got a duff 'new' one?) and did they check your alternator output?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts