Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the last few days there has been a very slight grinding (sounded a bit like when driving in reverse) noise when driving my 2004 2.0 petrol manual 307. Clutch action has also felt a bit poor when taking off from still on 1st as in the whole car shaking a little before the clutch is completely released. Also I've felt vibrations in the clutch pedal, both when depressed (just slightly hovering my foot on the pedal to feel it) and when pressed down. Start from stand still on reverse seemed fine though. Problems were not bad enough to make me realize something really bad might happen.

Yesterday, on my way back home, it felt a lot worse. Pulled up to the garage and, starting in an uphill, the car was shaking as I try to gently release the clutch pedal when suddenly the pedal smacks to the floor and the engine stops. ESP warning lights are flashing on the dashboard and I turn off ignition. After waiting a few seconds I start it up again and mange to drive it into the garage the last couple of meters on 1st while terrible noises was playing.

So, what do you think happened? Where should I start trouble shooting?
The reason I mention the ESP warning is that I read that the clutch servo shares fluid with the brake system so I was hopeful it might be a servo fluid thing, but then again it might have just been the wheels slipping when the clutch suddenly released giving the warning.

·
6,000 Posts
Sounds transmission related could be clutch pressure plate failure and or input shaft bearing failure which has damaged the clutch

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,964 Posts
Sounds like your clutch has just given up

ESP light only came on because it stalled it is not connected to the clutch in the way you think the reservoir for the brakes also feeds the clutch fluid thats all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. Checked the slave cylinder action today and it seems fine so I guess that rules out problems with the hydraulics.

There is a slight play with a clonky sound now present in the initial travel of the clutch pedal which doesn't feel familiar. Might that be a damaged thrust bearing or bearing fork? Can't really figure out the reason for the clutch pedal vibrations I felt prior to the break down though?

·
Registered
14,964 Posts
The description you are giving is classic symptoms of the clutch bearing failing they can also give a screeching sound when pressed as said already you need a new clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts