Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening all.
Its been a little while, the 307 has done nearly 8-9k since it gave me grief!
Who would have thought!

Anywho, Long story short,
2005 Peugeot 307 Xsi 136 diesel, 88k on the clock.
The clutch pedal has had a light 'tap', only present when the pedal is fully released since we got the car (23k ago).

A few days ago she started making a creeking noise when pulling away and engaging the clutch.

There is no obvious sign of clutch slip (wifes car, I barely drive it), however it still accelerates hard and no unusual noises etc once the clutch is engaged and we're rolling.

It only makes the noise in first or second gear when pulling away from stationary and does not make the noise every time however the more you load the clutch/drive train (pull away in second) the more likely the noise is to occur.

Listening to the engine stop with my head near the transmission side of the car its a dead stop with the engine, no whining or grinding noises carrying on after the engine stops turning.

Depressing and releasing the clutch whilst running does create a slight rumbling noise with my head down there but I am unsure as to how usual this is as to be honest I've never had my head down there listening for *that* sounds.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated as my current thinking is to go with a clutch kit and I'm just trying to size up the job.
I've done injectors, replaced the turbo etc kind of work however never had the engine out so hmmming...

I also have access to a workshop with tools, engine hoist, stands, ramp, jacks etc however I don't know anyone that's undertaken a clutch job on a 'modern' car (WW2 land rover enthusiasts!).

First step is diagnosis though however many symptoms seem to be pointing at the clutch. Can anyone validate my suspicions and or suggest whether a clutch change is necessary/will cure the issue?

My gravest concern, second only to the DMF or clutch esshploding whilst the wife's driving etc, is of course the scorn of a wife who's husbands 'taken the car apart' and 'bin fannying around with it in bits' for two weeks!
Ask me how I know that heh :nod:

Best regards

-Chris

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
Sounds like the flywheel is getting loose they can go for a while like this its unlikely to just fail completely but it will gradually get worse when it does need done you need the whole kit clutch and flywheel

Dual mass or solid has been done to death at end of day its your choice dual mass for smoothness solid can be a bit rougher and not so kind to gearbox but there is not much difference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
clutch change on one of these is not too bad and can be done up on axle stands
, i find it easier to take both drive shafts out , battery tray too to get at the gear linkage , that involves nearside archliner out as pug decided to put one of the battery tray bolts in from that side! engine needs supporting as gearbox has a mounting attached to the tray . RHR engine is quite a torquey lump so suggest you stay with a DMF ,Undo the driveshaft nuts with the front wheels off and someone with there foot on the brakes , long breaker bar required ... off side shaft has a "c" shaped plate holding the intermediate bearing in place which swings out of the way when you loosen its torx headed bolts , dont forget to drain the gearbox oil first ! you will also need to detach the bottom of the suspension struts to get the shafts out , starter motor can just be pushed back out of the way when you have taken its bolts out

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I replaced the clutch on a 307 on the road outside my house. Never worked on a transverse engine clutch before so was all new to me. The Haynes manual was helpful with the not so obvious things that needed doing before the box came out.

With access to a garage with all the tools and a ramp it should be like a walk in the park.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If you do decide to do the clutch at some point pick up a crankshaft seal at the same time.

Mine was causing a slight misting of oil at higher temperatures, contaminating the clutch and therefore it would slip in 6th under load.

I've heard of a few 307/407 with this engine doing this now so it would make sense while its all apart to replace.

Just for reference - mine had approx 95k on clock, the clucth plate had plenty of meat left on it so could have got away with just replacing the seal but as I plan to keep the car it would be silly not to replace clutch & flywheel at the same time due to the labour involved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Afternoon all.
Thanks for all the replies so far!
I'm hoping the car can make it another 3 weeks or so.

I need to rebuild the forks on my CBR600 and get my old 306 through an MOT so me and the wife have transport for work in case something goes horribly wrong but I think I will have a stab at doing the clutch and flywheel. I have the rear disks, dpf diff sensor to do on it as well atm.

I am tempted to go for a solid flywheel as it is cheaper and neither of us drive the car hard. As long as the car isn't shaking hard enough to cause wear within the drive train or engine etc then I wouldn't mind throwing a solid in there for the added reliability either.

Are there any standard steps to reliably diagnose the noise as clutch/flywheel issues?
Any rough estimates how long I have or is it a could go now or never situation?

Get get onto getting the other vehicles sorted out first..

Best regards

-Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
My previous car was a 307 sw 16.hdi 110 and I got a noise from my clutch when the pedal was depressed. This went on for a while and then one day it really started to scream. I was pretty sure I knew what the problem was but having nowhere to do the work myself I decided to get someone else to do it for me. Doing a clutch on a pug is a big job. You have to remove so much stuff to get to it it will take you a full day to do. Anyway to cut a long story short it was as I suspected, the thrust race. It had seized solid and would have worn through the tongues on the pressure plate very quickly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Evening all!
Well the 307 clutch issue is progressing nicely!
Now a lovely gritty feeling is coming up through the pedal and a grinding noise is emitted throughout the cabin when the clutch is depressed however the car still drives fine and is not slipping...
Think I'll be driving the wife to work this evening :rolleyes:

The wife has had enough with the 307 (she's the one who drives it), I've done a lot to it over the last few years but she's lost faith in it and I'm beginning to think after this, just what's up next...

She has put a deposit on a newer car (she's very subtle you see..) and hopefully we can get hold of it asap so plan of action has shifted slightly. I will have more time to to work on it so I'm hoping to open it up and see what's occurring in there. Change just the thrust bearing/housing or do the full shabang if its needed...

One last job (i hope), and then I can go out and get myself a 206 to replace my veg burning 306, work that car over and twin tank it!

The car is in good condition mechanically (aside from the clutch) and its been quiet an education but it's time to let the 307 go...

Get back to sorting out problems I cause myself :p

Thanks for the input so far, any advice on diagnosing the problem/what's due replacement in there would be very much appreciated :)

Best regards

-Jvr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts