Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
407SW 2.0HDi 05 plate 90,000 miles. Strange thing – I’ve done a couple of long motorway runs recently and set the cruise control. Once or twice, well into the run and when I have switched off the CC, the car has given every indication that the clutch is slipping – on acceleration the revs quickly rise faster than the speed. The problem goes away after about ¼ mile. I have tried to reproduce this on shorter runs but nothing unusual happens.

Any ideas? Does the CC need resetting and/or is my clutch on the way out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,

Quick way of checking the clutch, pull the handbrake up as far as possible, put in first gear and release the clutch. Car should stall basically immediately. If not, and it gradually die, then you have a clutch problem. (Thats also presuming it is a manual)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess would be after 90,000 miles that the clutch is on its way out. Try accelerating from low speed in a high gear. See what happens. I am guessing the car has a manual gearbox
Hi,

Quick way of checking the clutch, pull the handbrake up as far as possible, put in first gear and release the clutch. Car should stall basically immediately. If not, and it gradually die, then you have a clutch problem. (Thats also presuming it is a manual)
In both cases, the car stalls. It will accelerate violently in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In 4th 5th and 6th after a run and at speeds over approx 65mph the revs mount.

It may be that the clutch is near the end of it's adjustment and the combination of the huge torque and a good run heats it up and it slips.

I think I'm looking at a new clutch - I'm off to other posts to look at the possibility of converting from Dual Mass Flywheel at the same time.

It's manual - AFAIK automatics don't have clutches.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
I got told to do this test:

Stop the vehicle, pull away in 1st (good), pull away in 2nd (good), pull away in 3rd (bad) and so on.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may be right on the clutches in the broad sense of the term; I remember the Volvo S80 auto I had had a sort of viscous drive thing that never goes wrong or wears out.

Don't know about the expense - Someone was commenting that the 307 kit costs around £160 +c. £260 labour (IIRC). Surely there's one for the 407 at a similar price? Or am I being over optimistic?

Is a clutch on a 407 that much more expensive?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In South Africa a complete clutch replacement/overhaul will cost you in the region of R7, 000.00. Don't know about England.
That's £612, plus the cost of driving to Beitbridge at 42mpg / 6.73l/100k :lol:

Thanks, at least it gives me an idea of the price, I suspect it will be about the same here.

J

·
0 Posts
Make sure you're sitting down before opening the attachment.... and I had already got a 20% discount on parts :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you're sitting down before opening the attachment.... and I had already got a 20% discount on parts :eek:
Kin'ell! That's more than I earn in an hour!

(The cross head bolts were quite reasonable though...)

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's £612, plus the cost of driving to Beitbridge at 42mpg / 6.73l/100k :lol:

Thanks, at least it gives me an idea of the price, I suspect it will be about the same here.
If you keep straight at the bridge and carry on with the road, just before you hit the sea at Durban, thats were I stay. Always welcome for a beer and a braai...........:thumb:

·
Registered
113 Posts
i

Had the same kind of fright almost when my old Santa Fe 2.0TD clutch went taking the duel mass flywheel with it dealer price was juts unreal but managed to find a local garage who still replaced it fro a lot cheaper but to me expensive price of £700,well the original clutch was only cost £400 but Hyundai apparently no longer supplied duel mass and used single mass instead think it was due to over heating but there where some horrendous clutch stories on the Hyundai forum

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had one quote of £621 for labour including clutch but the guy didn't mention the DMF which is approx £350, and another of £600 labour only, which seems a bit much when Peugeot apparently quote 6.4hrs for the job.

J

·
0 Posts
I had a case when I had the Volvo where the local independant was in fact more expensive to replace the clutch than what the main Volvo dealer was charging, how they justify it god only knows.
If you're having it done anywhere than a small independant, then I doubt you'll beat your prices much.

C

·
0 Posts
Ask if they work to ICME times. If they don't, they're guessing how long the job takes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clutch job was done - £1200 when all said and done:( (£200 cheaper than the main dealer)

The thing that caused the slipping was a failed main oil seal bearing which was spraying a fine mist of oil onto the clutch. That accounts for the fact that, when cold, the thing would stall if I tried to start it in 3rd or higher but slip after it had been running for some time.

I can only think that the DMF was a bit out of kilter and shook the bearing. If that is so, I suppose that it was money well spent.

However, I did ask of the cam belt and EGR valve could be done at the same time - it can't, as they involve the engine going up and the clutch means it goes down...

J

·
0 Posts
The clutch job was done - £1200 when all said and done:( (£200 cheaper than the main dealer)
Main dealers seem to charge what they like, doesn't seem to be a set Peugeot price... and you've paid more at an independent than I did at the main dealer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts