Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New here. Great info.
Would anyone have an idea or experience please of how much labour time is involved in replacing the clutch on a 308, slave cylinder minimum and possibly the rest? Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Depends on the version, but access isn't brilliant on any of them. Reckon on an hour +.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. It's a 1.6Hdi. I was led to believe that the whole thing could cost me over 1k, euro that is! I presumed labour would be a
large part of that - the slave is inside rather than accessible outside?

C

·
0 Posts
It's atop the gearbox, but there's a battery and a fistful of electrics in the way. That said, €1000 (about £16 sterling these days) sounds like a pith take.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one. I have £20 in my wallet, I'll offer him that! I only hope then that my problem is the hydraulics only . Presumably the big scary number is a worse case scenario if the plates etc have to be replaced also.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chopper, big attitude, ease off

Chopper, you're response to my earlier post was ill informed and inaccurate. The hydraulics on th e308 hdi are actually inside the casing and the labour for clutch replacement is aprox 9/10hrs.. Cost to me 1200 euro. Thanks for the false hope and just perhaps you don't know everything. For one who professes to know alot perhaps a little humility now and then. It's obvious, you DON'T know as much as you profess. others beware of self opinionated posters!

·
5,071 Posts
Chopper, you're response to my earlier post was ill informed and inaccurate. The hydraulics on th e308 hdi are actually inside the casing and the labour for clutch replacement is aprox 9/10hrs.. Cost to me 1200 euro. Thanks for the false hope and just perhaps you don't know everything. For one who professes to know alot perhaps a little humility now and then. It's obvious, you DON'T know as much as you profess. others beware of self opinionated posters!

OH THIS IS GONNA GET INTERESTING, I'M PULLING UP A CHAIR FOR THIS :nod::nod:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arrived on holiday in France 4 days ago in my 308SW 1600 HDi, next morning the clutch pedal stayed done after 200yds, could pull it back but clutch permanently engaged.
Found this site and thought 'slave cylinder'; big bill. Took it to a little man garage, after a couple of hours he phoned to say he`d had to order the part 'cylindre emetteur'. When part arrived he phoned to tell me, later he phoned to say car was ready; when I went to collect he showed me the failed part and a diagram of where it was in the system; bill follows.

Labour for changing cylinder and purging system, 2 hrs, £60
Part £48 Fluid £5 Total with tax= £130.

My experience with my local Peugeot main dealer in the UK has been that they are rip off con merchants, sorry to say. At first service they changed front pads and drums, over £400; when I queried the necessity and cost I was told the drums were worn down below limit; couldn`t show me the drums as they`d been thrown (within 2 hours).
My Frenchman laughed when I told him and added he`d have charged about £140 complete. Does anyone know an honest UK Peugeot garage ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
If I can just add my comment: I'm not aware of any PSA vehicles that use concentric slave cylinders. (someone will no doubt put me right) So the abuse of Chopper is unwarranted. The slave cylinder on 1.6hdi versions are crammed in by the rad. Maybe Peuger50 has got a unique vehicle, or maybe the person he's speaking to doesn't know what he's talking about.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Before anybody corrects me, I have checked with the ecp website and it seems you can indeed get this vehicle fitted with a concentric cylinder. I've not personally seen one (and I do exclusively clutches-all makes) and they don't list one on the REPEXPERT website(site run by LUK as parts database). There you are, never too late to learn!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before anybody corrects me, I have checked with the ecp website and it seems you can indeed get this vehicle fitted with a concentric cylinder. I've not personally seen one (and I do exclusively clutches-all makes) and they don't list one on the REPEXPERT website(site run by LUK as parts database). There you are, never too late to learn!
You are correct in your retraction, mine is a concentric slave and that's on a 2008 308 1.6HDi 110 SE, you can easily tell by the bleed nipple arrangement sticking out of the clutch housing..
Mine has just behaved the same as the French journey person, pedal stays on floor, but don't know which end is to blame, so having complete system replacement, parts on eBay £150 all in, labour Don't Know yet....:lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm still puzzled by this setup. As a company peugeot/Citroen don't use concentric cylinders. My guess is that this model uses a gearbox borrowed from another manufacturer (probably Renault) and has retained the cylinder setup. Later models of the 106 have a hybrid Fiesta gearbox fitted to them, so peugeot do have previous for this sort of thing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts