Peugeot Forums banner

clutch problem

19K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  terrylees 
#1 ·
:( hi my 206 diesel has developed a really anoying problem. when i try to pull away in 1st or reverse there is a bad juddering before the car moves, this happens when releasing the clutch pedal as it hits the bite, which is now right at the top travel. during normal driving the clutch is fine, until you need 1st or reverse. doesnt appear to be slipping. am i looking at a new clutch and how much to get one fitted? or is it a DIY job. i can buy a clutch kit for about £90 to £100 but worried that a garage will rip me off as i know the gearbox needs to come off.
:mad:

#2 ·
clutch judder

minesy said:
:( hi my 206 diesel has developed a really anoying problem. when i try to pull away in 1st or reverse there is a bad juddering before the car moves, this happens when releasing the clutch pedal as it hits the bite, which is now right at the top travel. during normal driving the clutch is fine, until you need 1st or reverse. doesnt appear to be slipping. am i looking at a new clutch and how much to get one fitted? or is it a DIY job. i can buy a clutch kit for about £90 to £100 but worried that a garage will rip me off as i know the gearbox needs to come off
:mad:
clutch judder can be oil contamination of the plates but usually comes
on slow over time a bad or broken engine mount is most likely unless
you abuse the clutch slipping it to get away fast in wich you can heat
the pressure plate and buckle it hope this helps...

#4 ·
minesy said:
thanks for the reply, how can you tell if its the engine mount? is there a simple way of checking them. i am assuming that there is a mount for the gearbox as well. hope it is a mount as a clutch is going to be expensive.:thumb:
Hi its a bit fiddly usually you get a jack take the weight of the engine plus an inch see if the rubber has split or come detached from the metal there is one
for the gearbox side might be awkward to see.:nod:

#5 ·
take the car to your regular mech and get him too check the rear engine mount. i had the same problem. he will put it up on a lift because its hard too see from above. do it asap because i left it for a while and ended up with a broken engine mount also shattered gearbox and broken drive shaft.only got it back today all because i got lazy and never did anything about it.

#8 ·
i did have a shuddering so i did replace the clutch but made no difference. the best way to test the clutch is to put it in 1st with the handbreak on and release the clutch slowly until it bites do the same in the reverse gear. if it lifts the car as you release the clutch then its not that. i also discovered that my fan was not kicking. so i replaced both the heater and fan switch and still nothing. but with long perserverance i discovered that it was the damn fan relay had worked itself loose. i literally rebuilt the car this week. happy now. going like a dream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.