Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I currently have a 407, and i have so many problems with it.

Now i was driving home from town today, come to the traffic lights and i found the clutch pedal was really vibrating and there was also a very odd noise coming from under the bonnett, got home turned the ignition off and there was a loud clunk. The noise stops when you rev the engine

Any idea what this could be im worried its something serious and dont dare drive the care.

Thanks, Sarah
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
sarah1986 said:
Hi

I currently have a 407, and i have so many problems with it.

Now i was driving home from town today, come to the traffic lights and i found the clutch pedal was really vibrating and there was also a very odd noise coming from under the bonnett, got home turned the ignition off and there was a loud clunk. The noise stops when you rev the engine

Any idea what this could be im worried its something serious and dont dare drive the care.

Thanks, Sarah
Could be the clutch thrust bearing or the clutch itself but it sounds like the flywheel is disintegrating! If this is the case it'll be expensive I'm afraid.:nono:
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
You don't say which version you have, but it sounds like the DMF is going belly up.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
sarah1986 said:
~What you mean version?
Let us know if it's petrol or diesel, engine size etc. If it's a diesel it sounds like the flywheel (DMF) as chopper and I said. It'll matter depending on version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stevoxsi said:
Let us know if it's petrol or diesel, engine size etc. If it's a diesel it sounds like the flywheel (DMF) as chopper and I said. It'll matter depending on version.
Ahh ok i understand now

Its a 2 litre Diesel.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I would guess at the Dual Mass Flywheel then. The clonking when you switch off is the common symptom.

An easy and successful fix, but not a cheap one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Ive heard somewhere that drivers are having a standard flywheel and clutch fitted to 407's instead of the DMF has anyone heard of this also? If so it maybe slightly cheaper but still looking at the £500 mark at least
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Ive heard somewhere that drivers are having a standard flywheel and clutch fitted to 407's instead of the DMF has anyone heard of this also? If so it maybe slightly cheaper but still looking at the £500 mark at least
I've seen this and it's something I'd seriously consider. Cheaper to do and you're pretty much sure to have less problems in future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I was advised by three different mechanics that the DM flywheels give trouble but that if that's what came out then thats what should go back in. You could try a different brand of flywheel to see if its any cheaper??
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Newspaperman said:
Ive heard somewhere that drivers are having a standard flywheel and clutch fitted to 407's instead of the DMF has anyone heard of this also? If so it maybe slightly cheaper but still looking at the £500 mark at least
that's a tricky one. I think there is a kit out there for some, but whether there is for the ML6 is a good question. The ML6C was originall designed for the 2.2 petrol cos the old 180 type box couldn't manage the torque, but the diesel makes more torque still so I wouldn't be confident if I were being a guinea pig.

Both LuK and Valeo make the DMF and they're much of a muchness, so go for the cheapest.

Some manufacturers are now using the engine map to restrict torque in lower gears and if this works over the long term we'll hopefully be seeing less of this for future generations.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top