Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 2006 407 2.0L HDI & I changed the clutch, flywheel & crankshaft oil seal at 82000 miles. Now on 105000 miles it's starting to slip again so only 23000 miles out of a clutch, Can this be correct?

I don't believe it's my driving that has caused this because I do mainly motorway miles & in my last car I personally did over 350000 miles on the same clutch.

Does anyone know the average lifespan of a 407 clutch please?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The clutch on these engines tend to last 80-100 thousand miles but its the flywheel or release bearing that tends to give up first.

Slipping at 23k miles is not the norm they have a self adjusting clutch pressure plate it may be that this is not working and as a result the plate is not being clamped properly.

·
6,457 Posts
As trustme says what clutch was fitted if it was a chocolate transmech unit then its more than possible its worn out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch on these engines tend to last 80-100 thousand miles but its the flywheel or release bearing that tends to give up first.

Slipping at 23k miles is not the norm they have a self adjusting clutch pressure plate it may be that this is not working and as a result the plate is not being clamped properly.
Thanks, if it's the pressure plate I may have grounds for a replacement because it was only fitted 13 months ago.

That's not the important thing though, what's important is fitting another clutch & hoping it lasts longer this time. I can get another LUK clutch kit for £123 inc vat so not too expensive but it's the time & effort involved with fitting it. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update.. Decided to get the work done by a trusted mechanic this time & he's just phoned to tell me that the flywheel is knackered which he believes would cause the excessive clutch wear.

LUK flywheel fault after 23000 miles isn't good so I am seriously contemplating a solid flywheel conversion. I've read some horror stories about them but I've also read that some people don't get any problems, ho hum decisions.

Edit. I didn't have much time so made a hasty executive decision & have gone for the conversion. I will update if it's any good or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts