Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Our 307 SW is really juddery when pulling away (sometimes the exhaust pipe bangs against the chassis!)

The clutch also slips a bit sometimes when changing up from 2nd to 3rd, but it eventually bites and I can't get it to slip any other way e.g. by putting it in 5th at 30mph and putting my foot down.

Also seems unlikely the clutch is done after just 70k?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It depends on how the car has been driven.

Could be the clutch or the flywheel, the latter being a costly job unfortunately. I'm looking at fitting a new clutch even though I'm not noticing any issues with it - my 307 has done just over 80k, and I'm at the point where I feel I should do it almost as a preventative measure before it does eventually go on me. The only thing with my plan is that i'd look at doing the flywheel at the same time, which is £300 on top of everything else...... :(

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The 90hp 307s have a solid flywheel. the more powerful versions have a dual mass flywheel.
If you have a dual mass setup you can get a conversion kit to revert to a solid rather than dual mass flywheel, which seems little more than an expensive way to compensate for poor clutch control to me. I fitted one to my son in laws 406 6 years and 90k+ miles ago and it's still working fine.
80k is a fair life for a clutch, depending on your driving style and where you drive it.
Have a close look at the engine mountings, if one is worn it could give you the symptoms you describe.

Roger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roger.

It's a 1.6 16V (110hp) so I guess it must have a DMF? Or is that just on the diesel?

It's pretty much impossible to pull away from a standstill without some judder, and with 4 people in the car it really struggles and bangs. Makes driving in traffic really wearing (and you get the feeling it's not doing the car much good).

Absolutely fine when it gets going though (apart from the occasional slip in 3rd) clutch and gear change are smooth and power is ample.

I'll check the mountings but does it sound like the clutch and/or DMF are on the way out? We've only done about 10k of the 70k on it and we take it fairly easy (though as I say I do feel like we're abusing it with the juddering but can't seem to avoid it!)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, if the clutch is slipping it will only get worse, so I suggest you think ahead and arrange a time to get the clutch replaced.
Don't go cheap on the new clutch, get a quality item such as Valeo or LUK, it is the least expensive long term fix.
While the clutch is being changed it would be agood idea to make sure the mountings are in good shape, particularly the on above the gearbox, the other mountings are easy to see, this one needs at least the battery tray off to get a proper look at it.

Roger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts