Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 407 (2005 2.0HDI) appears to be developing a fault with a rattle/knock, which I believe is probably something to do with the clutch/flywheel.
When the clutch is down, there is a rattling sound which is significantly different from general engine tone, and when the clutch is up in neutral the rattle reduces and another rattle/knock can be heard. This rattle has been around for a few weeks, but is now louder than before - I used to be able to switch on the air con and the rise in revs would 'tune out' the rattle.
If I engage 1st gear, and slowly bring the clucth up to the bite point, a knocking/vibrating can be heard within the car - something which it hadn't used to until the last few days. This repeats itself through 1st and 2nd gears when pulling off.
I'm thinking of clutch/flywheel as the noises all seem to be linked to engaging/disengaing the clutch.
The car also has a tendancy to lurch/hold back after changing up a gear and getting to 1500-1800rpm. If I change up gear, increase revs/speed, I can feel the car jump/lurch for a split second and then continue to drive smoothly after, until I change up to the next gear. I've had Peugeot look at this and they found nothing wrong, other than to decrease the time taken to reach vacuum for the solenoid vacuum. Do you think this problem could also be related to the clutch/flywheel problem?
I would like to think that it isn't a clucth/flywheel as I know how much that will cost to replace, but does anyone else have anymore experience as to anything else, or believe unfortunately I'm on the right track.

Thanks guys.

p.s. how are these dual mass flywheels constructed - I've read of bearings/rubber mounts/springs?

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i can remember when my clutch started to rattle when pressed down on the pedal. it lasted about a week before the release bearing failed and it cost £117 for a clutch kit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
£117 Plus labour. Been looking round for componenets for my clutch. managed to get a CLutch at £112 inc vat and the dual mass flywheel £160 + vat from GSF.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...

Car now makes more rattling/vibrating noises, and the 'holding back' is alot worse - used to do it once after changing gear, yesterday it would do it three times, just like a learner kangarooing the car - hopefully this fault is linked to the dodgy clutch/flywheel. I've taken the plunge and booked it in for clutch & flywheel replacement - now all I need is to come into plenty of cash :D

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
hopefully it just the clutch, i have heard that faults with the flywheel can be very very very heavy on the wallet.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cck2k9 said:
hopefully it just the clutch, i have heard that faults with the flywheel can be very very very heavy on the wallet.
Don't I know it.... dilemma is the labour involved to do just one - 7-8hr job each time and to do the flywheel is only an extra 5 bolts apparently so exactly the same labour as just the clutch. Its going to be a lot, but to save £400ish on labour the second time it makes more sense to do the lot in one go :(

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
yeah it mentions that in the haynes, if both are at fault is good economy to do all parts on the clutch and flywheel. makes sense really :lol: when my release bearing went on the late 307 i paid for the parts meself and a garage round the corner from me did all the labour for about £130 and with towage aswell. they had the car for about 2-3 hours and there was a massive change in pulling away and gaining speed...like a rocket.

i learnt that shopping (ringing) around paid off. :thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a good labour price, but at 2-3hrs it must be easier on the 307 than the 407 :(
I've looked to get parts myself, and by the time I've got Peugeot to give me discount on such a big job, the price of their parts are the same as buying online... managed to get almost 20% discount off labour & parts... if you don't ask, you don't get :)
I'm hoping performance will improve, and touch wood fuel economy to improve too :thumb:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
thats it like, if you dont ask you dont get :lol:

i can remember i rang peugeot up and they wanted £250 just for labour. i told them where to go :lol: hence a local garage doing mine

i noticed straight away, before the clutch had been replaced i had to go down to 2nd and struggle up a hill in the moors (heartbeat country) afterwards i was screaming up the same hill in 3rd and had loads of torque

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cck2k9 said:
afterwards i was screaming up the same hill in 3rd and had loads of torque
Best look out then.... after my previous car, this already goes like a rocket... drove petrol again the other day and had forgotten how flat they are.... definitely never going back to petrol!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a clutch, dual mass flywheel, and several £££s later, its all done... and the result... a quick, smooth, quiet car.... and the mpg has increased too! :thumb:

·
5,027 Posts
good to hear its sorted:thumb:
what was the final cost tho

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
trem1 said:
good to hear its sorted:thumb:
what was the final cost tho
Plenty... £1100 all incl. of which only £450 was labour.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bettyswollocks said:
So in a few years the clutch costs more to change than your car is worth
Most cars get like that after a while... bit different on mine at the minute though as its still worth £6-7k so worth spending on as theres still plenty of years life left in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts