Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a definite 'wobble' kind of noise that goes away when I press the clutch.
Happy to let it develop for now, but need to prepare for the inevitable sooner than I thought :mad:

What's the wisdom on solid flywheel conversions? Trickier gear changes I can handle.

Do the 2.0 and 2.2 use the same clutch and flywheel (i.e., will a solid flywheel for a 2.0 fit on a 2.2 -- they have the same gearbox after all)? Or will I need parts specifically for a 2.2?

·
5,087 Posts
What's the price differences ??
I would/did stick with the DMF as in my opinion Peugeot know more than me :nod:

·
5,087 Posts
what's £60 different, the 2.0 is what £60 cheaper than the 2.2's
or is there £60 difference between solid conversion and Proper DMF

·
Registered
54 Posts
Going to watch this thread for developments. Haven't noticed anything on mine yet (touch wood) but... rwb, isn't even when the gear is in neutral, an input shaft inside the gearbox is rotating, without turning any cogs.

I'll check this on mine tomorrow and see if it does them...

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
We have been told no solid flywheel is available for the later engines as in RHR RHK versions

The 2.2 is just a 2 litre with longer stroke I believe so flywheel/clutch is likely to be the same

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC I'm 6 months older and 25k ahead of you.
BTW: the dealer had to do the heater flaps so I've dodged that one for now.

Yeah, in neutral. It's sort of an irregular knock but does change with engine speed. It goes away when I press the clutch.

Worst when it's just started, and I wonder if the instability is causing it to be a bit lazy starting -- 5 cranks.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
All flywheels from XU engines will fit, so you have a lot of flywheels that fit.

But the question is if you can find a clutch to match. Anyway as mentioned I think I would have preferred the vibration-free ride the (at least idle) the dual mass one offers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmm, don't see how a wobble would cause lazy starting. Mine starts within two cranks usually. Could be something else there... injectors, air in system?

Lucky on the heater flaps.......

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input chaps. :thumb:
Not the sort of thing I really want to be experimenting with, so I think it'll be a vanilla DMF/clutch kit when the time comes.

Well the thing was silent today -- only what I'd call a normal change in tone when you press the clutch.
Starts moaning then when you pay it some attention it denies everything. Frogs eh? :lol:

It may always have been there and I've only just got my ear tuned into it. So the plan is to let it develop and get a plan ready just in case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right, I do get a wobble when I am idling but it's very subtle. It doesn't seem to change when I press the clutch though. PP2000 reckons I am idling below 800rpm... whereas my 406 idles at 835.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Started on one crank this morning and no noise... until I got to the bottom of the road and then there definitely was a clutch/flywheel noise (only in neutral) while I waited at the lights. Then at the next junction it had gone and didn't come back.

When the 406 clutch was going there was an intermittent squeal irrespective of whether the clutch was pressed.

Do I bite the bullet and get it done?
This thing owes me some miles now. :mad:

·
5,087 Posts
I wouldnt yet, is there a possibility your just a tad paranoid about it ?? what level you got your radio volume at ??

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Changed September 2014 at 86k for a DMF.

Now at 168k and a rattle has returned. At low revs under light load, e.g., when reversing or when queuing on the motorway rolling along in 2nd with no gas.

If it's going to be such a regular thing :mad: then maybe I'll try a solid one this time.

What is the nature of the "vibrations" that people complain about?

·
Registered
54 Posts
80k for a DMF isn't too bad. I wouldn't entertain a solid one as I know how bad vibrations can be from a badly fitted engine mount (on a 406). It will drive you insane...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts