Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have today fitted a new clutch cable to my Son's Peugeot 206 1.1.

However, when I came to try it for the first time I couldn't get the car to move. It will engage gear but the car won't move when bringing the clutch pedal back up.

I have a strong suspicion that the self-adjuster has operated until the cable is at its full length, thus making it tight. I kept the locking device on the cable whilst fitting it, but this broke during the install.

I wanted to know if there is a way to move the adjuster back to its original position. Without any tension upon it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it can be moved but its hard to explain how its done if it is too tight you will be able to tell at the lever on the box as it will be pulled in too far.
Right. Just an update. I removed the new cable (yet again) and sure enough the self-adjuster had moved to it's full extent. I really thought I would be in trouble but no, it was quite straightforward.

For anyone in a similar position this is what I did. Firstly, the replacement cable self adjuster differed completely from the original. It is longer and looks like it's in two parts, and held together with a plastic coupler. I pulled back the rubber cover to reveal the tensioner spring and then pulled the spring back with long nosed pliers to relieve the tension. Whilst holding the spring back, I rotated the self-adjuster mechanism a few turns anti-clockwise (although I don't think the direction matters) and then I was easily able to pull the whole self-adjuster back to it's original position.

To make sure everything stayed where it should, I put the clutch end of the inner cable over a nail and pulled to apply pressure and then used some mole grips to hold the cable to stop it retracting. The locking device (supplied with the new cable) could be put back on and I was ready to install.

The problem I was having is very simple really. Because of the longer length of the self adjuster, and the slightly sharper angle the cable has to bend through, the locking device kept coming off, and thus causing the self adjuster to expand during fitting. A useless design in my opinion. I tried cable ties to try to hold this, but they simply didn't work.

My solution. I removed the cable and re-set the adjuster once more, refitted the locking device and taped it all in place with good old duct tape, which I removed once installed. Bingo! It works.

Just thought I'd post this has it may just help someone who has similar problems.

:thumb:

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it can be moved but its hard to explain how its done if it is too tight you will be able to tell at the lever on the box as it will be pulled in too far.
Right. Just an update. I have managed to sort the problem and it was a little easier than I thought. It must be noted though that the replacement cable differs slightly to the original as the self-adjuster mechanism is longer, appears to be in two parts and held together by a plastic coupling.

To get the self-adjuster back to it's original position I did the following. After removing the cable (yet again) I pulled back the rubber covering the tensioner spring, pulled back the spring to relieve tension whilst holding it in position with some long nose pliers. I then rotated the whole self-adjuster mechanism anti-clockwise (although I don't think the direction will matter too much) and then discovered I could move the self-adjuster back into it's original position.

To enable re-fitting of the locking device (supplied with the replacement cable) I placed the clutch end over a nail and, using the method above, applied firm pressure and then held everything in position by clamping the inner cable with some mole grips.

Due to the longer self-adjuster, and the slightly sharper bend the cable has to take, I was finding the locking device was coming off during install. This was causing the self-adjuster to operate, making the cable longer and almost impossible to fit. I tried cable ties, as recommended in another post, but this didn't prevent this from happening.

My solution. I reset the self-adjuster again, refitted the locking device and held it all in place with good old duct tape, which I removed once the install was complete. Bingo! It finally works.

I just thought I'd post my comments in case anyone else is experiencing similar issues

· Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Why the different colours ???

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
I have today fitted a new clutch cable to my Son's Peugeot 206 1.1.

However, when I came to try it for the first time I couldn't get the car to move. It will engage gear but the car won't move when bringing the clutch pedal back up.

I have a strong suspicion that the self-adjuster has operated until the cable is at its full length, thus making it tight. I kept the locking device on the cable whilst fitting it, but this broke during the install.

I wanted to know if there is a way to move the adjuster back to its original position. Without any tension upon it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Right. Just an update. I have managed to sort the problem and it was a little easier than I thought. It must be noted though that the replacement cable differs slightly to the original as the self-adjuster mechanism is longer, appears to be in two parts and held together by a plastic coupling.

To get the self-adjuster back to it's original position I did the following. After removing the cable (yet again) I pulled back the rubber covering the tensioner spring, pulled back the spring to relieve tension whilst holding it in position with some long nose pliers. I then rotated the whole self-adjuster mechanism anti-clockwise (although I don't think the direction will matter too much) and then discovered I could move the self-adjuster back into it's original position.

To enable re-fitting of the locking device (supplied with the replacement cable) I placed the clutch end over a nail and, using the method above, applied firm pressure and then held everything in position by clamping the inner cable with some mole grips.

Due to the longer self-adjuster, and the slightly sharper bend the cable has to take, I was finding the locking device was coming off during install. This was causing the self-adjuster to operate, making the cable longer and almost impossible to fit. I tried cable ties, as recommended in another post, but this didn't prevent this from happening.

My solution. I reset the self-adjuster again, refitted the locking device and held it all in place with good old duct tape, which I removed once the install was complete. Bingo! It finally works.

I just thought I'd post my comments in case anyone else is experiencing similar issues
Thanks for that, the cable on sons pug started slipping so I wanted to fit a new cable but the retainer broke while trying to get it in place so I reset it following your advice and used cable ties to lock it in place untill I had both ends connected, nightmare at the pedal end, had to go and have a cup of coffee and tried again and it went on striaght away using one finger to push the clip away and another finger to push the connector on. need smaller hands really. All works fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.