Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After I removed and replaced my rear brake caliper disc if felt like the brakes may be sticking on. I only drove around the block and parked up but I could feel a restriction there when coasting/freewheeling.
Next day I took it for a slightly longer drive, to my mums about 1-2 miles away, and I could still feel this drag and when I arrived my clutch was burning, I could smell it strongly. I thought my clutch had gone went into a bit of a panic and became grief stricken for a while and considered scrapping the car, then I remembered the dragging brake sensation I was experiencing.
So I went out, in a near blizzard, and jacked the rear wheel off the ground to see it would freely spin. The wheel spun freely and also the car seemed to freely roll down the slight gradient. I decided to give it another drive and it seemed to be fine, there was no dragging sensation, no smell of clutch and also no signs of clutch slippage although I did not test it thoroughly on any steep hills. I noticed a small rainbow coloured stain on the ground as if some oil/fluid had leaked from car, this was in the vacinity of the clutch/gearbox although hard to pinpoint as I had moved the car.
My clutch/flywheel was replaced at 80k miles, it has now done 128k miles.
When I did the work on my brakes I did not remove any of the hoses/pipework.
Any thoughts on this appreciated.
Paul.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clutch burning?

Just an afterthought,

Maybe the burning smell was not the clutch, maybe it was the brakes if they had been jammed on.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Did you fully wind back the callipers when you did the rear brakes. It's possible that it was the rear brakes binding as rooamin suggested although if the brakes were binding badly it would cause some slippage of the clutch while trying to overcome the binding brakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch burning?

Hi,
No I didn't wind back the caliper piston. DO you think I should restrip it and do that? Do the pistons on these screw back in, as oppose to just pushing back?
And also haynes manual said I must replace the bolts that hold on the caliper mounting bracket, but I didn't, what do you think of this?

·
11,711 Posts
Hi,
No I didn't wind back the caliper piston. DO you think I should restrip it and do that? Do the pistons on these screw back in, as oppose to just pushing back?
And also haynes manual said I must replace the bolts that hold on the caliper mounting bracket, but I didn't, what do you think of this?
Yes and yes. If you've got a Haynes manual it explains what you need to do.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Hi,
The calliper piston needs to be wound back. You will more than likely need a tool to do this - I found it impossible to do by hand. The pistons sort of screw back in. Just turning them won't wind them back in, they need to be under pressure as well as being turned.

I didn't replace the bolts. I just cleaned the threads and used some fresh threadlocker when putting them back. I believe that the new bolts come with threadlocker on and Haynes or other workshop manual publishers will be covering themselves from possible legal issues should someone have a caliper fall off due to not fitting the correct new bolts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clutch burning?

Hi and thanks for all responses.
In the old days I used to just chap the piston back with a piece of wood and a hammer, if it didn't easily press back by hand or using a G-clamp or something. I remember the first time I encountered one of those screw backs on a vauxhall vectra when even after removing the hose and getting it on the bench it wouldn't whack back with a hammer. It was a mechanic friend who said .. yeah they need to be turned and pushed and you get a special tool for it. I did do the vectra brakes 2 or 3 times for my dad but I cant remember how I did it, except for that first time, so it couldn't of been a problem.
Next time I am at peugeot I will get some of these bolts for future jobs and thread lock is a good idea too. I will check these bolts are still tight next time I strip it.
I'm off out today to try and fix the ESP fault(dash fault) that persists after the ABS has gone. I'm hoping that it's just a case of clearing an old fault with planet but we'll see. As I type this I have a thought....Maybe the ESP is the whole problem and it automatically applies brakes given certain parameters does it not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts