Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've recently bought a 54 plate 307. The engine is a 2 litre hdi 90.
When I bought the car I noticed the clutch seemed a bit odd. However, I thought it was a case of just getting used to it. The problem is that it seems quite high and not being able to change gear smoothly, mainly when pulling off and changing into 2nd gear. The accelerator also seems like I have to press it half way down before it starts revving. The most annoying thing about this problem is that when pulling off I have to rev heavy when pulling off or the car feels like it's going to stall.
The wining noise seems to be coming from the alternator/power steering pump. On tick over I can hear a little wining but when I start driving it sounds like an electric motor noise over the top of the engine noise. I hope that makes sense. If anyone has experienced any of these problems or if you know why this is happening I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Take the Alternator belt off, make sure you note how it goes back!:), then start the engine. If the noise has gone then it will be one of the belt driven auxiliaries or idler pulleys at fault. Spin them by hand and feel for any roughness when turning them, they should all spin smoothly.
It sounds like your clutch is reaching the end of its life. Replacing it will require getting the front of the car well off the ground, a lift or car hoist is ideal, but nothing a competent diy mechanic couldn't do, It takes 3-6 hours depending on your skill levels and equipment. You have to drain the gearbox to avoid oil all over the floor, replace it with 2 litres of top quality gear oil when you put it back.
I don't know why the engine is reluctant to pull at low speed, my wife's car with the same engine has never had this problem.

Roger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Chris,
I had similar problems and had it sorted recently. The clutch needed replacing so got it done at a local clutch centre £303 all in. The problem with acceleration was a faulty throttle sensor. It is built into the pedal so I got a used one off ebay for £25.00. really easy to fit, just remove the 3 screws that hold the pedal in place and the small wiring connector.
I also had vibration that turned out to be a couple of faulty engine mounting bushes.
I hope this helps, Good luck :)

Granville

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I was thinking the clutch was on its way out, I guess I just needed someone to confirm it. I've got a quote from my local clutch centre and Peugeot are quite cheap!
£215 for an aftermarket clutch or £265 for a genuine Peugeot clutch compared to £420 for a clutch for my old Renault which I had done at the same place.

@rustyroger the garage will have to carry out the work, I'm not confident in replacing a clutch or removing belts I'm afraid. I can confidently replace wiper blades, top up oil and maybe even replace an air filter lol.

@merlinmagic thanks for the info on the throttle sensor, I've had a look on ebay and the sensor that keeps popping up is a throttle position sensor. Is this the correct one I need? 3 screws and a connector seems easy enough so I will try this myself.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what do you mean by the clutch seems quite high?

doesnt it have a hydralic clutch which means they are self adjusting. ive seen quite a few people on here say that the biting point is quite high on these cars.

I have a similiar issue and was suggested that could be a clutch slave issue, or low hydralic level.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
£265 for a genuine Peugeot clutch seems like a good deal. Might be worth asking your clutch centre if they will do other work or can recommend a garage that does a good job at a fair price.

Roger.

·
Registered
548 Posts
£265 for a genuine Peugeot clutch seems like a good deal.
Peugeot don't make clutches so don't get too bothered about buying genuine.

At the same time don't buy the cheapest you can find - ecotech from eurocarparts springs to mind as they tend to be low quality.

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong by buying LUK or Valeo clutch kits - they also manufacture for a lot of OEM supplies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@bazsound it's hard to describe the feeling of the high clutch problem, it seems the clutch has to be released almost all the way before I can get the bite. I guess the self adjusting hydraulic system can only adjust so much before giving up.

@rustyroger & ash1293 I enquired about the different clutch prices and the cheapest price was for a budget clutch and the higher price is for the same clutch that the car was originally fitted with.

@rustyroger I also enquired about the wining noise and they said it's a dry bearing in the alternator and they could replace the whole unit at the same time as fitting the clutch for £175, which also seems a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts